Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Journey Singer Steve Perry Undergoes Cancer Surgery

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Journey Singer Steve Perry Undergoes Cancer Surgery

Journey singer Steve Perry undergoes cancer surgery

Published Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 9:59am EDT | By Justin Harp

Former Journey singer Steve Perry has undergone surgery for skin cancer.

Perry revealed in a recent blog that his physicians diagnosed him with Melanoma during a routine doctor's visit weeks ago.

Rex Features / Stewart Cook

Steve Perry

"Three weeks ago a routine mole was taken off my face and the lab report came back Melanoma skin cancer," he wrote.

"I've had two surgeries in two weeks to remove all the cancer cells and I've been told they think they got it all and no other treatments are required."

Perry went on to credit his resolve to overcome the disease to his former girlfriend Kellie Nash, who passed away from breast cancer in December.

"She was so strong, so courageous and we really loved each other so very much," he recalled.

The singer continued: "I've been trying to grieve and not run from this loss so for the last 5 months that's what I've been doing along with recalling everything being in Love with Kellie taught me."

Perry met Nash after seeing her in footage for the film Five, which chronicled the treatments of women with cancer.

The musician has largely stayed out of the spotlight since stepping away from a briefly reunited Journey in 1998.

His memorable hits with the group include 'Wheel in the Sky', 'Lights', 'Who's Crying Now' and 'Don't Stop Believin'.

Journey singer Steve Perry undergoes cancer surgery - Celebrity News - Digital Spy

Second rocker with cancer today. WTF?

Oh Man, what the hell is going on? That's not a wig is it?

omg i absolutely LOVE Steve Perry. Like, i'd cry like a little sissy girl if anything happened to him.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

Yikes, I hope they're right and the doctors got it all.

Wow, glad to hear he's on the mend. Love this guy.

Doesn't he have another issue that made him drop out of Journey? He has one amazing voice!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I just did a check, and found out that Steve Perry had hip replacement surgery several years ago, and has arthritis.

The article is a little old, but here it is:

Steve Perry says Journey reunion unlikely to happen

Band may be popular all over again, but former lead singer won't join them

By LOU FERRARA

updated 10/31/2011 8:00:41 AM ET

NEW YORK — The resurgence of Journey and the band's hit "Don't Stop Believin'" may have given fans hope of a reunion, but former lead singer Steve Perry says that's probably not going to happen.
    "It's like any emotional, committed relationship. At some point, they seem to all have a shelf life and bands are no exception," he said. "Life has moved us all on in different places in our lives. They're doing what they're doing — they have been since '98. And I've been doing what I'm doing, which is living my life and having a personal life."
    Story: Band takes fans on Journey back into their memories Perry, who rarely does detailed interviews, spoke to The Associated Press by phone last week, ahead of Tuesday's release of Journey's "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" and the remastered version of Perry's 1984 solo album, "Street Talk," which included the No. 1 hit "Oh Sherrie" and the ballad "Foolish Heart."

His former band mates have continued on since Perry's departure 13 years ago, performing as Journey with a new lead singer, Arnel Pineda. Pineda sounds like Perry, who was once ranked by Rolling Stone magazine as No. 76 of the greatest 100 singers of all time.

Perry doesn't dwell on the band's current lineup, saying that everyone has moved on, but said he relishes the songs he did with Journey that keep getting airplay.
    Thirty years after its release, Journey's most memorable hit — "Don't Stop Believin'" — manages to keep getting rediscovered in new contexts. The song, which Perry wrote with Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain and guitarist Neil Schon, has shown up in the Broadway show "Rock of Ages" (which Perry said he hasn't seen), the cut-to-black finale of "The Sopranos" and the movie "Monster," for which Charlize Theron won an Oscar for best actress. Most recently, it appears in Brad Pitt's "Moneyball."
    Story: Salahi: Wife's a liar, rocker should be 'ashamed' But it has probably reached its youngest audience through the hit TV show "Glee," which has also featured other Journey hits "Faithfully" and the medley version of "Any Way You Want It/Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin.'"
    Perry said he's stunned that "Don't Stop Believin'" continues to resonate with so many people.
    "It's very shocking because now I'm getting it for 7-, 8-, 9-, 10-year-olds coming up to me, and they love that song and they've made it their song," said Perry, 62. "It's just amazing to me."
    He said that when he was first shown the pilot for "Glee," he wasn't sure if he wanted "Don't Stop Believin'" to be used. He said he and his former band members are careful to make sure Journey's songs are used to their standards: "There's been so many requests for silly food products over the years."
    Story: Michaele Salahi runs off with Journey guitarist Perry said he and Journey members don't speak directly to each other about authorizing the use of songs, or much about anything else, but instead work through representatives to reach agreement.
    In recent years, he says he's received offers to appear on "Glee" and to serve as a judge on "American Idol," where friend and former bandmate Randy Jackson is a judge. But he's turned those and other offers down because, he explains, he's not a "front-camera guy."
    Lately, Perry's been dabbling in film editing and writing music for a possible solo album, a challenging process after years of being away from the music business.
    "I'm going to be recording sometime soon," said Perry.
    He said he's recorded three cover songs recently, but would only disclose that one was a Beatles tune and that he has played his new music for just a few friends privately.
    Perry said his signature voice, which stretches for high and long notes in many of his songs, is in good shape overall. At one point in the interview, telling a story about one of Journey's first tours, he broke into the Journey song "Feeling That Way."
    Physically, though, he's battled health issues. He had hip replacement surgery 13 years ago, and has struggled with a "pretty substantial amount of arthritis that's not comfortable."
    "I live on anti-inflammatories," Perry said, noting that he has had some arthritis-related surgeries over the years since he left Journey.
    Still, he says he's feeling good overall. He even left open the possibility of touring again — just not with Journey.

"We have severely, emotionally gone our separate ways."

Will Steve Perry reunite with Journey? - today > entertainment - Music - TODAY.com

Elite Member

The rest of Journey never appreciated Perry as they should have. I watched a VH1 show about them, not long ago. The band members were STILL bitching about Perry, how his voice corrupted their hard core, rock band dreams and turned them into a ballad band. Tough shit, I say. Journey is one of the few 80's bands that people still listen to, that kids pick up on their own and love, and it's Perry's phenomenal voice that keeps the royalties coming in.

I can't believe their new singer sounds anything like Perry. Perry had something so special there.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I saw them with the new kid and if you close your eyes I swear you would think you were listening to Steve. It's wild.
    lisalucy69 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I can't believe their new singer sounds anything like Perry. Perry had something so special there.
    He sounds EXACTLY like him.
    lisalucy69 likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I saw them with the new kid and if you close your eyes I swear you would think you were listening to Steve. It's wild.
    Now see, you've just forced me to research this on YouTube (which has become the buggiest, nastiest application. I've stopped going to the site directly.)

Very, very few voices have the raw power and right tone to mix with the electric sound of rock. Most singers find some weird way to manipulate their voice (AC/DC or Kurt Cobain) to fit in well with rock. Perry is one of the few whose natural, trained, voice (his dad was an opera singer) perfectly fit the music.

Only one voice was strong enough to put the band in the shade - Freddy Mercury's. I was just listening to a playlist of his vocal tracks the other day. It will make you believe auto-tune and Clear Channel are satan's instruments for the modern age.
    sparkles likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    The rest of Journey never appreciated Perry as they should have. I watched a VH1 show about them, not long ago. The band members were STILL bitching about Perry, how his voice corrupted their hard core, rock band dreams and turned them into a ballad band. Tough shit, I say. Journey is one of the few 80's bands that people still listen to, that kids pick up on their own and love, and it's Perry's phenomenal voice that keeps the royalties coming in.

It's funny because they obviously resent Perry but their new lead singer is just a karaoke version of Steve Perry, which shows you how they needed his voice even if they couldn't have him!
    greysfang and smileznlaughs like this.

Auto tune is the devil I totally agree with that.
    greysfang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    omg i absolutely LOVE Steve Perry. Like, i'd cry like a little sissy girl if anything happened to him.
    IKR? That high note in Any Way You Want It...I just love it so much.
    sparkles likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information