• 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 2 Post By VeraGemini
  • 3 Post By Trixie
  • 5 Post By secretgoldfish
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By yanna

Thread: Lou Reed has life-saving liver transplant

Default Lou Reed has life-saving liver transplant

He was dying': Rocker Lou Reed, 71, recovering after undergoing lifesaving liver transplant, wife reveals

By Kimberley Dadds
    PUBLISHED: 01:09, 1 June 2013 | UPDATED: 11:04, 1 June 2013

• American rocker Lou Reed is currently recovering after undergoing a lifesaving operation for a liver transplant, his wife has revealed.

The Walk On The Wild Side hitmaker, who is renowned for his previous drink and drug problems, was 'dying' early last month but is now on the mend after successfully undergoing surgery.

His wife Laurie Anderson told The Times newspaper: 'It's as serious as it gets. He was dying. You don't get it for fun. (It was) a big surgery which went very well.'

Recovering: Rocker Lou Reed was close to death last month, his wife has revealed, but he's now recovering after undergoing a lifesaving liver transplant operation

He was taken in to the Mayo Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio for the surgery after opting against the 'dysfunctional' hospitals in New York he could have gone to instead.

And it seems Laurie, who has been with Reed for 21 years and married for the last five, was pleased with the service they received now he is on the road to recovery.
    She added to the Times that the 'clinic is massive' and has the 'best results for heart, liver and kidney transplants'.

Health scare: The 71-year-old mysteriously cancelled five concert dates in April, around the time of his operation

And she admits she was 'awestruck' with the procedure as she watched as Lou was taken off life support and saw the donation placed into his body.

The Velvet Underground star had cancelled five concert dates in April, which included two sets at California's infamous Coachella music festival.
    The reason for the last minute cancellations was given as 'unavoidable complications' but it now appears it could have been down to health issues.
    Although it seems Reed has received the treatment he needs.

Rock star: Lou Reed (far right) is pictured in his hey day in 1972 alongside David Bowie and Iggy Pop

Laurie revealed: 'This is no longer an operation that is life threatening. They put (the new liver) in immediately and it stated working immediately.'

Although she added that she didn't think he 'would ever' recover from the health scare, but he would no doubt be back to working on some music in the next few months.
    Throughout his career, Reed has catalogued all about his drink and drug demons.
    He even wrote and sang about it in depth, particularly with his 1964 Velvet Underground track, Heroin, in which he sang: 'Heroin, it's my wife and my life.'

Read more: Lou Reed, 71, recovering after undergoing lifesaving liver transplant, wife reveals | Mail Online

so glad Lou is gonna be ok.

I'm a huge fan of The Velvet Underground.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

cue discussion on addicts receiving organ transplants. it's always a good one.

sputnik, MmeVertigina and sparkles like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^^^This is going to sound mean but I do feel this way. I don't know why this man's liver went bad but I would suspect that excessive drug and alcohol use may be a factor considering that he is "renowned" for his substance abuse problems. If your liver is shot from years of drug and alcohol use and you are in your 70's, I'm sorry but you should be at the very bottom of the transplant list. My father is one of the founders of an organ-donor program in the city where I live and was a transplant surgeon for years. I grew up hearing awful stories about how corrupt the organ donor system can be and I still don't trust the system.

Right now there is a 10-year old girl in our area who is making international news beacuse she is being denied a life-saving transplant due to the organ donation rules. Adults are given priority over her for the organ she needs. Their cases aren't related of course, but it infuriates me that a 71 year old man whose liver was bad likely due to his own lifestyle choices will live while a 10 year old girl with a medical ailment outside of her control may die in the next few days.

I dont want anyone to die, but there are many, many people on the waiting for organs and a short supply of them. The rules related to organ donation/transplantation need a major overhaul. Sorry for the rant. My father and I were just talking about the organ transplant system yesterday and I am still infuriated by our discussion.
    Butterfly and MentalNotes like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

Not from me. Reed and Anderson are such a cute couple (though they'd probably pound my ass for saying so.) If Reed had a transplant while he was still an addict, I might roll my eyes.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

If he's been truly clean for years and is otherwise healthy enough to warrant it, I wouldn't say this guy doesn't deserve to have a chance. The fact that he's also a performer who gives many, many people a lot of enjoyment isn't unimportant too, though it shouldn't be a deciding factor imo.

That said, from what I've read I do agree with Nicki about the organ transplant system. Some people who should not get transplants are getting them, simply because they're rich and/or influential. This includes folks who are addicts and who are still indulging and continue to do so after the transplant. If there were tons of organs available out there this would not piss me off (as much) but fact is there aren't. It's not right.

ETA Laurie watched the operation? She's hardcore. Wow. I'd probably pass out.
    sparkles likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

If someone is healthy enough - which includes being clean - for the transplant to do some good, then they should get it. No judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    Right now there is a 10-year old girl in our area who is making international news beacuse she is being denied a life-saving transplant due to the organ donation rules. Adults are given priority over her for the organ she needs. Their cases aren't related of course, but it infuriates me that a 71 year old man whose liver was bad likely due to his own lifestyle choices will live while a 10 year old girl with a medical ailment outside of her control may die in the next few days.
    I think you're talking about Sarah Murnaghan, and while I feel for her family, it's a lot more complicated than just "they're denying her a transplant because she's a child". She needs a double lung transplant, not a liver, and she's on the top of the pediatric waiting list. Unfortunately, there aren't as many pediatric organs available, and fewer still when the organ in question isn't a kidney or a liver. (Kidneys can come from live donors, as can livers, in the case of a child. The liver regenerates, so they can take the smaller lobe from an adult relative to transplant into the child. They can also divide a single cadaver liver between an adult and a child recipient this way.) The size mismatch plus her cystic fibrosis make the odds of success with an adult lung transplant not great, which is why she's on the bottom of the adult transplant list.

It's a tragedy that there aren't enough organs for everyone who needs one.
    sputnik and TheFarSide like this.

Well, I think it's pretty much a given that someone with good insurance and/or money is going to get preferential treatment over an uninsured poor nobody--regardless of whether it's a transplant, cancer treatment, or run of the mill hospitalization. Welcome to the U.S. medical system.

I would hope that Lou Reed didn't snag his new liver from someone more "deserving" because of his wealth and fame, but as long as he isn't currently using, and was a viable candidate/match, I don't think his age or past history should come into play. Since when are life-saving measures only there for those with perfect lifestyles and youth on their sides?
    sputnik, ConstanceSpry and yanna like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Glad he's on the mend. Love him and Laurie.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    If someone is healthy enough - which includes being clean - for the transplant to do some good, then they should get it. No judgment.
    this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Hahaha you just totally baited me into posting, I'm a long time reader, but this is my first time contributing to the madness!

I'm registered as an organ donor and if/when I die absolutely ANYONE is welcome to my bits, I don't give a crap what race they are, what sex they are, what age they are, what religion they are (and I pretty much loathe all organised religion) or if they're a previous (or current) junkie or alcoholic. I don't even give a toss if the potential recipient isn't an organ donor themselves or outright refuses to be an organ donor.

It would really piss me off if, once I'd given my 'no strings attached' donation, some power tripping, asshole, bureaucrat somewhere (with perhaps their own political or 'do-gooder' agenda) was able to use my parts as collateral in making bullshit judgement calls on people who might or might not get my bits, completely disregarding my original intention to help ANYONE without any sort of bias or judgement who might simply benefit from the bits of me I no longer need.

As far as I'm concerned, the only preference should be on an 'as needs' basis, dictated by perhaps timing (when I die/someone ready to go into surgery) and maybe nearby location (if an organ isn't able to travel far and still be successfully transplanted)

I don't (currently) live in a country that considers it (through the law) to be a 'good' 'practical' or 'clever idea' to make judgement calls on donor recipients, but if things changed here I'd take my name off the public donation register and look for a private/alternative organisation that guaranteed to not make judgement calls on who gets my bits.

Then again if I get cheated after death it's hardly going to be something that will cause me sleepless nights or anger, unless of course the religious people are right in which case I'd be really pissed off in heaven or (as some folks have tried to tell me for simply not being 'a believer')………hell
    Last edited by secretgoldfish; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Trixie, yanna, GRuser1 and 2 others like this.

Welcome to the board!
    GRuser1 and Kittylady like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Welcome secretgodfish and I'm totally on your side regarding my organs. They are all free to a good home.
    sputnik and Seth82 like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm glad that Lou Reed's going to be okay; I love him. Had no idea that he was 71 years old!

Thread Information