Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Roman Polanski says fight for female equality is 'a great pity'

Default Roman Polanski says fight for female equality is 'a great pity'

Director claims the pill has 'chased away the romance in our lives' as he brings new film Venus in Fur to Cannes

Equality smooches ... Emmanuelle Seigner and Roman Polanski at the photocall for Venus in Fur. Photograph: AFP

You might not suppose Roman Polanski and the 87-year-old Jerry Lewis had a great deal in common, but today the director followed Lewis' suggestion that broad comedy is inappropriate for women actors by complaining that aiming for female equality is "a great pity".

Speaking at the Cannes film festival of his latest film Venus in Fur, the 79-year-old Polanski said that "trying to level the genders is purely idiotic." "Offering flowers to a lady has become indecent … The pill has greatly changed the place of women in our times, masculinising her. It chases away the romance in our lives."
    Polanski's film is an adaptation of the successful play by David Ives about a theatre director (played by Mathieu Amalric) who is looking for an actress to play the lead role in a stage version of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's notorious 1870 novella Venus in Furs. The two handed play evolves to reflect and invert the mistress/slave relationship portrayed in Sacher-Masoch's original.

Polanski cast his wife Emmanuelle Seigner – at 46, 33 years his junior - in the role of Vanda, the apparently-chaotic actress who comes to dominate the initially-powerful director. Polanski, however, deflected any suggestion that any parallels exist with his own life.
    "The satire on sexism was very seductive," he said. "There was a macho element to [the director] character that was torn to pieces. That was enjoyable. People who know me know there is nothing like that in my personality, so it gave me great satisfaction to do it."
    However, there is no mistaking the physical resemblance between Polanski and Amalric; the latter joked: "My mother is coming [to the premiere] this evening; maybe she can explain it to me!"

Ives has no official credit on the film, but he was on hand to offer his own take on the gender politics at play. "When I wrote the original play, I basically began with a man who needed an actress, and let the actress walk through the door. At one point she says [the Sacher-Masoch story] is sexist - but I would leave that up to you to judge. I will tell you though, when the play was on Broadway, one night there was a woman sat right in the front row, who every few minutes she would shout "Yes!"
    Polanski was briefly detained by Swiss police in 2009 during a trip to the Zurich film festival, after the US authorities (still pursuing the director after he pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a minor and fled the US in 1978) requested his arrest. He has no such fears of detention at Cannes, where he is regarded with awe. Venus in Fur is his third feature to be selected for competition, and he won the Palme d'Or in 2002 for The Pianist.

Though ruefully recalling the "disastrous" reception his first Cannes film, The Tenant, experienced in 1976 – "we were humiliated, basically" – Polanski did at least clear up one small mystery. If you ever wondered whether or not film-makers know in advance if they have won the Palme, Polanski revealed that they do; or at least, he did.
    "After the awful time with The Tenant, I went straight back to Paris after The Pianist had its screening. On the morning of the awards they called me and said I had to come back. At first I didn't know what for but they convinced me come. A half an hour before the awards show actually started they told me it was the Palme."
    So if Polanski leaps to his feet on Sunday night, looking shocked and surprised, we know there might be a little bit of acting involved. A not inappropriate response if a film about theatre wins.

Cannes 2013: Roman Polanski says fight for female equality is 'a great pity' | Film | guardian.co.uk

Who gives a fuck what this nasty pedophile has to say about women?

Elite Member

"The pill has greatly changed the place of women in our times, masculinising her."
    WTF???!!! No seriously, WTF?? This isn't 19'ought'12 anymore, grandpappy! Talking about how "the pill"has destroyed the lives of men everywhere is sooooo 1970. And that whole "equality" nonsense- you're right, Pedophile Polanski, it wasn't right for tha' neeg-ros and CERTAINLY isn't meant for broads. Next thing you know they'll be wanting to vote and whatnot!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Oh fuck off you child rapist!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Oh fuck off you child rapist!
    I second that!
    rockchick, sparkles, DAP and 1 others like this.

Go diaf.
    DAP and Kittylady like this.

I think his real complaint is that the Pill means less back-door action for him. The Pill has allowed women (and men) to control when they have families. And allowed rape victims (irony alert) to avoid being impregnated by their rapists. And help with other non-pregnancy issues. His statement is totally inexplicable.
    Honey, SHELLEE, Kittylady and 1 others like this.

All this coming from the guy who sodomised a drugged 13 year old so he wouldn't get her pregnant. Charming.

I had no clue The Tenant didn't get a good reception in Cannes. It's an amazing film and Polanski's performance is very impressive.

Bronze Member

The pill taking women shouldnt be a worry to him, seeing as he prefers children.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Bronze Member Jane loves Summer's Avatar

I suppose it pisses this freak off that females refuse to shag the POS. It isn’t because of the pill, feminism, the vote blah blah. It’s because he is a filthy rotten excuse of a human being that most females would never touch him without wearing a hazmat suit. An admitted child rapist who managed to escape justice for 30+ years is not entitled to have an opinion on feminism, the meaning of consent in respect of sexual relationships or contraception. Go and spend a couple of years in jail for the crime you pleaded guilty to,Polanski and pay your debt to society. His vile gang of enablers(mainly in HW) don’t seem to appreciate the seriousness of his crime. Would Depp let Polanski babysit his young daughter? Probably! No way would I let Polanski or any of his apologists(including Angelica Houston) be on the same continent as my 11 year old baby. Perversely, several of the commentors at IMDB don’t appear to understand the serious nature of the charges he pleaded guilty to.
    Let’s face it, Polanski’s got a long history of having sex with underage girls/actresses. Once a paedophile, always a paedophile.
    Last edited by Jane loves Summer; May 27th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think his real complaint is that the Pill means less back-door action for him. The Pill has allowed women (and men) to control when they have families. And allowed rape victims (irony alert) to avoid being impregnated by their rapists. And help with other non-pregnancy issues. His statement is totally inexplicable.
    I think that he's just pissed off that there are fewer 13-year-old girls for him to rape.

Apeaking of which, isn't his current wife 30 years older than his usual "type"?
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Who cares what he says as long as he's still making good films? I'm curious to see this latest one and I love mathieu amalric.
    effie2 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Who cares what he says as long as he's still making good films? I'm curious to see this latest one and I love mathieu amalric.
    Fur realz? ^
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

^ Didn't you know you can say or do anything and get away with it just as long as you make good films?!
    Kathie_Moffett and Callalily like this.

You know what is really a pity? Dodging a rape charge your whole life.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information