Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: O.J. Simpson Wants a New Trial...Claims He was Misrepresented *eye roll*

Default O.J. Simpson Wants a New Trial...Claims He was Misrepresented *eye roll*

OJ Simpson in Las Vegas courtroom to ask for new trial

An older and grayer O.J. Simpson was back in a Las Vegas courtroom to appeal his 2008 armed robbery conviction, claiming that he had such bad representation that he deserves a new trial. NBC News' Leanne Gregg reports.

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

Wearing a blue prison jumpsuit, O.J. Simpson appeared Monday in a Las Vegas courtroom where he is trying to get his 2008 robbery conviction tossed on the grounds he did not have proper legal representation.
    The former football star — noticeably grayer and heavier than the last time he appeared in public — is serving 9 to 33 years after a jury found him guilty of orchestrating the gunpoint seizure of memorabilia he claimed was stolen from him.
    A previous appeal was rejected in 2010. In the latest bid for a new trial, Simpson is arguing that his ex-lawyer, Yale Galanter, gave him bad advice, knew about the attempt to reclaim the memorabilia in advance, and told him it was legal.

Julie Jacobson/AP
    O.J. Simpson, right, sits in Clark County District Court on Monday with his attorney, Patricia Palm. Simpson, who is serving nine to 33 years as a result of his 2008 conviction on armed robbery and kidnapping charges, is seeking a new trial on grounds of ineffective counsel.

Simpson — who did not take the stand during the explosive 1995 trial for the murder of his wife and her friend, which ended in his acquittal — is expected to testify midway through the five-day hearing. Galanter is also slated to take the stand.
    If he doesn't prevail at this proceeding, known as a writ of habeas corpus, Simpson, 65, must serve five more years in prison before he is eligible for parole.
    On the stand for the hearing, a friend of Simpson described Galanter as "somewhat dismissive" of any concerns his client voiced about the way the trial was going.
    “Mr. Simpson was ...somewhat intimidated by Mr. Galanter. He was dominated by him. He tended not to question what he told him,” said James Barnett, a Las Vegas businessman.
    “If Mr. Simpson would ask about some specific point in court, he would say, 'That’s not important' or 'Don’t worry about it.'”

Barnett said Galanter told him that he and his 15-year-old son were performing analysis of audiotapes that were a key piece of evidence in the trial because they couldn't afford to hire experts.
    The appeals team also questioned Dr. Norman Roitman, a psychiatrist who specializes in the effects of alcohol on perception.
    The lawyers asked Roitman whether someone who fit Simpson's physical description, who had been "drinking all day" and the night before and was sleep-deprived and stressed-out, might experience poor perception in a crowded hotel room where he expected to find personal items he had not seen for 15 years.

Speaking hypothetically, Roitman said that person would.

OJ Simpson in Las Vegas courtroom to ask for new trial - U.S. News
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Mods, can ya'll move this over to the "OJ Simpson gets 15 years" thread! I did a search before I posted and nothing came up. Thanks!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

OJ is not intimidated by anyone. He's a sociopath and thinks he's always right.

You killed two people and destroyed countless of lives...fuck off
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

It always makes me smile to be reminded that he's in prison. I hope they keep him there until he dies.
    Bluebonnet and greysfang like this.

He thinks he is in jail cos he supposedly stole memorabilia at gunpoint......thats bad, but he did kill some nice people way back that he never got in trouble for.....justice is being served dickhead...Deal.
    Bluebonnet and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Jack I swear.

Elite Member

Such bullshit. Simpson didn't have a court-appointed attorney. He hired this guy who supposedly misrepresented him!

OMFG - we need some comedy around here though, right?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

What a pumpkin head.

He looks really bad. My heart is breaking. Can you tell?
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

They should prosecute the guy who did his jailhouse facelift.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    Such bullshit. Simpson didn't have a court-appointed attorney. He hired this guy who supposedly misrepresented him!
    Just because he retained an attorney doesn't mean that that attorney represented him properly. I have seen privately retained attorney seriously mess up cases. I don't like him, and I think he probably killed Nicole and Ron. That being said, he was acquitted. I have always felt that the sentence he got for the robbery case was excessive- legally excessive that is. I think he got slammed sentence-wise because that was the judge's way to stick it to him for being acquitted on the murder case. OJ is a scumbag but I don't agree with the way his second trial was handled. An unpopular opinion, but I stand by it. Of course, I have a different perspective on his cases than most people do. I don't know if his attorney was ineffective, but if he was a new trial may be the appropriate remedy. I doubt he'll win this, though.
    Brando likes this.

I'm trying to catch up on details of the Simpson second trial. But here is what I found from here and here:

1. The guys who had the items that OJ wanted (Fromong and Beardsley) were invited to a Las Vegas hotel room under the auspices of looking at a third guy's (Thomas Riccio) sports memorabilia collection.

2. Riccio left the room and then Simpson and his friends came in and confronted Fromong and Beardsley.

3. Fromong and Beardsley claimed guns were displayed while Simpson said they were not.

4. Some of Simpson's friends (Alexander and Cashmore), however, took plea deals, and testified to the fact that guns were used.

In the end, Simpson was convicted of both armed robbery and kidnapping. Armed robbery in Vegas has a mandatory prison sentence, but I can't find the specific sentencing guidelines. Simpson got a 33-year sentence with a 9 minimum. Whether that was excessive would depend on the sentencing guidelines and how OJ's sentence compared.

OJ looks fat and old but Judge Judy has never looked better!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Oh, him again.

Blargh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information