Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Natalie Maines Doesn't Regret Slamming George W. Bush, Never Liked Country Music

Default Natalie Maines Doesn't Regret Slamming George W. Bush, Never Liked Country Music

Dixie Chicks say the darnedest things. Former Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines recently opened up to Us Weekly about her upcoming album and revealed that despite the country trio's 13 Grammy awards and many, many country music accolades, she does not, in fact, listen to country music anymore.
    "People do look at it as an insult that I say I don't listen to country music, which cracks me up," the 38-year-old singer told Us. "Music is a personal preference. Everyone's free to connect and like whatever they want."
    "I definitely have a bad taste in my mouth about country radio," she added. "We did get supporters, but as a whole, the country music industry did not support us. Award shows would laugh at our expense. It was fun to hate us."
    In 2003, the girl group made headlines after Maines criticized then-President George W. Bush's plans to launch a war against Iraq and reportedly told an audience in London that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Radio stations across the United States immediately pulled the band's tracks from the airwaves after listeners angrily attacked the group for Maines' comments. Even now, however, Maines said she doesn't feel the need to apologize for speaking her mind, as controversial as her opinions proved to be.

"To me, I was right from the beginning, because it's my right as an American to speak up and question our President, have my point of view, have my opinion, question what I want to question, and say what I want to say about our government," she said. "It's very scary to me that people actually think we should just follow our leaders. If we can't learn from our history, we're nowhere."
    Adds Maines: "My point I try to make about that is it's not a thing I wanted to be right about. It's not a good 'I told ya so' with all these people losing their lives. War is horrible."
    When Maines' comments blew up, the singer added, she felt a lack of support from the country music community that continued on years after the incident.
    "I don't know about the country community," Maines continued. "But the Dixie Chicks have fans that have stayed loyal and stayed with us, but just as a whole or a radio market, or a musical genre. I am very liberal. A lot of them don't like me, and what I have to say."
    Maines is currently branching out from her Dixie Chicks roots, and is set to release her first solo album, Mother, on May 7. And the singer and mother-of-two said she couldn't be happier about the direction her new sound is taking.

"I'm kind of enthusiastic right now," she said. "I definitely wanted it to be different. Significantly different from the Chicks. Someone might think that I'm just trying to find another genre because I don't have a great relationship with country music right now. But really, that never crossed my mind that people would even think that. To me, this album is who I am."
    Not that being a part of the three-woman group, with bandmates Emily Erwin and sister Martie Maguire, was ever a negative experience, Maines is quick to say.
    "I mean, being in the Dixie Chicks was like winning the lottery ten years in a row," she told Us. "It was a constant high, and excitement and the next thing or opportunity. And you know? It was SO much fun. The heyday, the climb, was really fun."

Read more: Natalie Maines Doesn't Regret Slamming George W. Bush, Never Liked Country Music - UsMagazine.com
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Bronze Member

I'd like to take back my money now. I was really missing them but the more she talks the less I care. Kind of funny (to me) that in how many, years as talented as they are, they haven't made any marks elsewhere in the music industry.

I'm not surprised she now isn't enthusiastic country considering what the industry did to her and the Dixie Chicks. From the perspective of a non-U.S resident, that honestly had to be one of the most ridiculous overreactions ever to a single comment, particularly given that criticism of Bush was hardly rare (albeit perhaps not in 2003), and the fact that they've been stuck with that for the rest of their careers even though they made some good music is just silly.
    Last edited by Slushie; April 25th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Bronze Member

"To me, I was right from the beginning, because it's my right as an American to speak up and question our President, have my point of view, have my opinion, question what I want to question, and say what I want to say about our government," she said
    She absolutely has that right and the country music fans absolutely had the right to choose not to listen to their music because they didn't agree. I liked the Dixie Chicks and I still listen to some of their older stuff. It just seemed that after the whole mess they didn't let it go either and when they released "I'm Not Ready To Make Nice" they pretty much sealed their country music fate. It's not like they were blackballed forever and obviously she is releasing non-country music so the entire industry wasn't against them. The sisters have been playing country music with another band and, as far as I know, do just fine.

I'll listen to whatever she puts out. I like her music, regardless. And "Not Ready To Make Nice" is one of my favorite songs. Leaving my personal politics out of it, like Slushie, I find that whole mess a total cock up. I really enjoy The Dixie Chicks, and have missed them.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I've never liked their music or country music in general but if this is steering away from it I'll definitely give it a listen and I loved that she spoke her mind.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    I'm not surprised she now isn't enthusiastic country considering what the industry did to her and the Dixie Chicks. From the perspective of a non-U.S resident, that honestly had to be one of the most ridiculous overreactions ever to a single comment, particularly given that criticism of Bush was hardly rare (albeit perhaps not in 2003), and the fact that they've been stuck with that for the rest of their careers even though they made some good music is just silly.
    Totally. I was living in Europe at the time and I've never been a fan of their music but the overreaction was so disproportionate and fucking ridiculous. There are few things worse than mainstream country music but the Dixie chicks backlash proved it wasn't just the music that's ugly, it's also a lot of the listeners and radio stations and people involved in that scene. I know I'm generalising and I'm sure there are country fans who aren't like that, but that whole situation proved that there are millions who are and it was just disgusting to see.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Love her, love her big ass mouth, love the Dixie Chicks and "Not Ready to Make Nice" is one of the all time greatest songs ever. I'm a little devastated because the Dixie Chicks are playing a very few dates this summer and only in Canada. I was so excited to see that they were planning to play in Calgary as one of the stops...but, but, but it's the night before I have to be in eastern New York for a family wedding. Dammititall.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Bronze Member

I love country music, always have and I also know that most fans are extremely loyal. What irks me is that if that had not happened (the reaction) she would still be milking the fans and to be frank she acts like she doesn't like the fans. So why should I feel bad that they were snubbed? She seems bitter the more comments I see about it.

snubbed? They received death threats for years.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by rphuman View Post
    She seems bitter the more comments I see about it.
    having your life threatened tends to do that.
    Mel1973 likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bronze Member

So do lots of people. It doesn't make it right but people know that those are people on the edge anyways. But yes they are snubbed by country radio but I stand by the thought that there is more to the picture than that one incident. They are very talented people and could have been embraced outside of country radio. And I don't believe for a second that it's by choice that they haven't been doing more mainstream music since. A nasty attitude toward fans doesn't get you very far.

How is she saying she doesn't like her fans? She specifically mentions them and says that they have fans that stayed loyal to the band despite the backlash. Or are you talking about the 'fans' who joined in on the backlash and the boycotting because they didn't like maines' exercising her use of free speech? If that's who you're talking about, why shouldn't she be pissed at them and why should she 'like' a bunch of assholes that went along with the ridiculousness that was the anti Dixie chicks campaign?
    Callalily, ehanc and shedevilang like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The Bush kerfuffle just sealed her bad image in country music circles. Every hardcore country music fan I knew already considered Natalie as the product of nepotism who ruined the Chicks' sound. There was a real reaction against the perception that Natalie stepped in at the last minute and started hogging the spotlight away from the Erwin sisters, who are and always will be the true talent in the band.

Anyway, I'm sure her she'll love country music again when her pop album fails.
    Syd and southernbelle like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The Bush kerfuffle just sealed her bad image in country music circles.
    Thanks for proving my point about country circles. If speaking out against bush in 2003 sealed her bad image in country music circles, that tells me everything I need to know about them and, if anything, she should take it as the world's biggest compliment that she was shunned by them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information