Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shakira on Motherhood: "Nobody Told Me It Would Be This Hard"

Default Shakira on Motherhood: "Nobody Told Me It Would Be This Hard"

Beautiful truth-teller! Three months after giving birth to son Milan, Shakira admits that motherhood has been a big adjustment. The 36-year-old "Beautiful Liar" singer chatted with Us Weekly at the NBC Summer Press Day in Pasadena, Calif., on Monday, Apr. 22, about how she's coping with being a new mom.
    "I didn't expect babies to need so many diapers! Nobody told me they needed to be changed so often!" The Voice judge joked. "I mean he's a great, great baby. He's an easy one, I think. But nobody told me it would be this hard. It takes a lot of energy from you. But I love it, I'm really enjoying every bit of it. It's just that it's not as idyllic as everybody tells you, but also not as horrible as everyone tells you."

Shakira, who welcomed baby Milan with boyfriend Gerard Pique in January, admitted that she worries about getting her body back and feeling like her old self again.
    "I mean, I guess our mothers and grandmothers weren't under the pressure that women of today are after delivering a baby. My dad says that there's nothing better than a little meat on the bone! He likes my mom a little chubby. So she was never under the pressure to get back to her old weight, and she never did, actually!" the Colombian singer quipped. "But it's different, I have a career, and that's the only part that's been a bit stressful because I knew that I'd have to come back here to do The Voice two months after I delivered a baby. I didn't have my four months maternity like every woman on earth has. So I'm not trying to complain, but it's been a process full of challenges in my life."

The first-time mom says she's doing Zumba to help her lose the baby weight. "I'm still a few pounds over!" she said. "Zumba has been pretty great for me even during pregnancy. I did it almost until the end."
    In order to balance motherhood and work, Shakira says she relies heavily on Pique, 26. "Thank God the father is very involved. He has been amazing," she said. "The baby spends as much time with me as he does with his dad. He's the kind of dad who's full hands on. He changes diapers, he bathes him, he enjoys playing with the baby, he enjoys feeding him, all of that stuff. So that's great help for me, you know. I can't imagine doing all of this and not having the father do his part of the job. So that's a huge help to me."
    But Shakira knows how to cheer her son up. "I play him music and he stops crying!" she said. "So apparently he's going to like music!"

Read more: Shakira on Motherhood: "Nobody Told Me It Would Be This Hard" - UsMagazine.com
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Yep, babies are hard work. Especially for those of us who did it with no nannies (and usually no help from husbands or significant others) so yeah, it's a bitch. Deal.
    dksnj, Angeli, nancydrew and 1 others like this.

I think every first time Mom on earth says this, it's not something shocking
    KrisNine likes this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I know I said it. I thought they would just lie there and coo and look adorable and I'd have to feed and change them periodically. Nobody told me I was entering a six month long sleep deprivation experiment that would cause my grades to plummet.
    shedevilang likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Four months' maternity like everybody in the world has, huh? I don't even have kids but I bristled at this statement.

I had 6 weeks (took 8 because my insurance ok'd it at 50 bucks a week. Thanks.) so yeah, me too, Bee.

Maybe it's four months in Spain (although I thought they got a year). For me (and most I know in the US), it was six weeks at 60% of your pay. 8 weeks at 60% of your pay if you have a c-section. Plus, since your salary really isn't being paid by your company, but by the state short term disability, you usually have to pay for your benefits out of that reduced pay. Those premiums are what your company actually pays for you to have benefits, not the deduction from your paycheck. It's more like what you would pay on COBRA. Then, if you're lucky enough to live in a state like California, you can get six additional weeks at 60% and finally 12 weeks with no pay, but a guarantee that you'll get a job, not necessarily your job or your original salary, at your company. Good times!!

Oh Wah Wah Wah, you whingey turd! Too bad she can't afford nannies and HAS to work to put food on the table right now. Oh, wait...

Up yours, Shakira.
    Bluebonnet and rollo like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Four months' maternity like everybody in the world has, huh? I don't even have kids but I bristled at this statement.
    I was self-employed when I had my daughter, and there was no maternity leave involved. I was sitting on a donut doing client work a week later. So yeah, that part of her quote really made me roll my eyes.
    Hostage likes this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    i know, right?

someone i kno was put under extreme pressure to come back from maternity leave early. she only took off 4 weeks, said it was the dumbest thing she ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Maybe it's four months in Spain (although I thought they got a year). For me (and most I know in the US), it was six weeks at 60% of your pay. 8 weeks at 60% of your pay if you have a c-section. Plus, since your salary really isn't being paid by your company, but by the state short term disability, you usually have to pay for your benefits out of that reduced pay. Those premiums are what your company actually pays for you to have benefits, not the deduction from your paycheck. It's more like what you would pay on COBRA. Then, if you're lucky enough to live in a state like California, you can get six additional weeks at 60% and finally 12 weeks with no pay, but a guarantee that you'll get a job, not necessarily your job or your original salary, at your company. Good times!!

I'm fairly certain it varies from state to state. Our state does not mandate that you get paid anything. FMLA allows you to take 12 weeks while keeping your job secure but there is no mandate here that you are to be paid for it. My employer (biggest in the state) will allow you to take your vacation/sick leave during that time but if you run short, your SOL.

Every new mom is surprised at the challenges of motherhood. Calling her bf "the father" seems sort of distant. Maybe they aren't still together.

Silver Member

wow in the uk you can get 9 months paid maternity leave (can take 1 year but last 3 months are unpaid) ok the money may not be great but the gvt pays it - some companies will pay more than it tho
    and also there is protection for your job - you have the right to return to the exact same job if you go back after 9 months - after 12 they can offer you something else but you still have the right to return

thats just the basics - if your self employed then the gvt will pay an allowance i believe

Same here (Greece) more or less, scarlett. My maternity leave started at Dec 15th and ended on April 15th with full pay and now I have 6 more months at half pay and can be gone from work a full 12 months without losing my job.

No, every woman in world does not get a 4 month leave due to having a baby or being pregnant. She probably has enough money that she technically doesn't have to go back to work for a few years if that is what she wants. Taking a 4 month leave, for her, would have been very possible.

The maternity leave thing pinged for me too, there are many women in the world that don't get any maternity leave.
    Only four countries have no national law mandating paid time off for new parents: Liberia, Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, and the United States.[3] In the U.S., the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) mandates up to 12 weeks of (potentially unpaid) job-protected leave, including parental leave, for many American workers. Subnational laws also vary; for example the U.S. state of California does mandate paid family leave, including parental leave for same-sex partners. Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe we should get her to follow the Czech/Slovak trend & get her to stay home for 3 years?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information