Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kate Bush awarded CBE by the Queen at Windsor Castle

Default Kate Bush awarded CBE by the Queen at Windsor Castle

She made her name as the precocious teenager whose unique musical talent – and uninhibited stage performances – saw her rocket to the top of the charts with hits such as a Wuthering Heights.
    Within just a few years, however, Kate Bush had withdrawn from the public eye and has spent the past two decades as an enigmatic musical recluse.
    Now aged 54, the singer made a rare public appearance at Windsor Castle yesterday, where she received a CBE from the Queen for services to music.

Thank you Ma'am: Kate Bush receives CBE from The Queen

The eccentric star added to her mystique by insisting that she would not pose for photographs and leaving the Queen’s residence by a different entrance to the rest of the recipients so that she could not be seen by reporters or members of the public.
    She did, however, agree to a single official photograph being released of her receiving her award from the monarch.
    Gone was the wild-eyed eyed ingenue whose hits, including Babooshka and Cloudbusting, inspired a generation of women to don their leotards and dance, arms-flailing, around their local nightclub.
    Dressed in black palazzo-style trousers with a loose-fitting, gold-trimmed tunic-style top, Bush clearly cut a more portly figure than her lithe teenage self.

Pride of place: The Queen pins the medal to the music star, although she has said she would like to put it on her Christmas tree

Her mane of jet-black hair was, however, instantly recognisable as she stepped up to collect her gong in the castle’s Waterloo Chamber after being introduced as Katherine Bush.
    She smiled broadly and chatted animatedly to the Queen for a few moments before walking to a side room – and was not seen again.
    Afterwards, her agent released a statement in which she said she felt ‘incredibly thrilled to receive this honour which I share with my family, friends and fellow musicians and everyone who has been such an important part of it all’.
    Typically, however, she continued in eccentric fashion: ‘Now I’ve got something really special to put on top of the Christmas tree.’
    Bush’s musical talent was spotted while she was still at school and after coming to the attention of Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, she landed a deal with EMI at the age of just 16.
    Her debut single Wuthering Heights - released at her insistence in 1978 - was a global sensation. The following year she went out on her one and only public tour.

Royal Chat: Bush spoke to the Monarch for several minutes before disappearing from the ceremony

Her 1985 album The Hounds Of Love is often seen as a career high and included one of her best known songs, Running Up That Hill.
    But from that point on, her releases were sporadic and when she released eighth album Aerial in 2005, it was her first for 12 years.
    Much of that intervening period had been devoted to bringing up her now teenage son Albert Jack- known as Bertie -with husband, guitarist Danny McIntosh, as well as perfecting her songs from a studio built in the grounds of her Berkshire mansion.
    She insists, however, that she is not a recluse and simply just wants to retain her privacy.
    In one rare interview she said: ‘I suppose I do think I go out of my way to be a very normal person and I just find it frustrating that people think that I'm some kind of weirdo reclusive that never comes out into the world.’

Read more: Kate Bush receives CBE from The Queen | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

cool. i adore kate.
    Stereo Inferno likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love Kate Bush, too. Beautiful. I love her "Don't Give Up" duet with Peter Gabriel. And I just discovered something. Crispin Glover totally ripped off Kate's "Wuthering Heights" dance moves in his Clownie Clown Clown video:

Compare Kate at the 1:44 mark below:

With Crispin Glover at the :09 mark below: (Sorry I posted two in a row, but you can only post one video at a time):
    Stereo Inferno likes this.

OMG, when the hell did Kate Bush get all portly and middle-aged? Yikes!

I love her so much. The Hounds of Love album is still in regular rotation on my iPod.
    HWBL and Bellatheball like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

There is a God. I see she isn't immune to middle age spread either. She looked totally fierce in her "Babushka" video back in the day. She grew up in the same street as MrAO and his sister went to school (convent! Ha) with Marianne Faithful.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    OMG, when the hell did Kate Bush get all portly and middle-aged? Yikes!

I love her so much. The Hounds of Love album is still in regular rotation on my iPod.
    Looking at her hands and fingers, I'm wondering if she has been sick. They look kind of swollen.

A*O

Could be. Her face is very puffy too. I always had her pegged as one of the perpetually skinny Minnie's.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Nah I think she's just um... portly... as the article says.

I looove Running Up That Hill, the original and the Placebo cover are both regulars on my ipod.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Yeah, it could be she has some sort of medical condition, and it could also just be genetic destiny.

Every time her song Babooshka comes on I start singing at the top of my lungs and my kids get all embarassed, but I don't care cause I love that song so damn much. I think it might be my favorite...along with The Man With the Child in His Eyes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

She's looking terrible I hope it's just weight gain and she's not sick. I've always loved her voice and her songs.

My favourite hasn't been posted yet:

I read that Donald Sutherland agreed to be on the video for free.

czb

i hope she is not sick but just portly.

i *hate* that the article wrote that. why can't she just be referenced as a great artist? *sigh*

She is my number one all time idol. Rocket's Tail is my favourite singing in the shower song.

I heard she became a hermit so she could raise her kid out of the public eye and smoke lots of weed. Maybe that's why she's a chubster now - she stopped dancing but kept munching!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My BFF will be pleased to hear this as behind his long hair, scowl and Dimmu Borgir t-shirts he gets a secret chubby on whenever he sees the white dress version of the Wuthering Heights video. Also as far as being a recluse is concerned I'm of a mind that she just stays out of the media limelight and away from industry events as my OH met her in a village pub in Berkshire when he was staying in a hotel near there while working away. He says that she was very soft spoken but also very nice and not at all phased at being recognised and complimented on her work by him. The lucky bastard has met/seen loads of famous people on his travels (everyone but his idol Gary Numan mwahahahaha!) and says that Kate Bush and Alison Moyet (met her on a plane) were amongst the nicest and most approachable of the lot.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Oh, Kittylady, I'm jealous, lol. If I ran into Kate Bush in a pub...I would actually be too shy to say anything!

My favorite singer/songwriter of all time, really, since I heard her voice pouring out of a music shop in London in 1983. I would not leave my mother alone till she bought me Kate albums. Along with Patsy Cline and Mary Brennan of Clannad, no other woman's voice has ever had such a stunning impact on me at first listen.

I think she's simply a genius musician who actually doesn't like performing live (horrible stage fright) and has zero wish to be famous. Sort of an anti-attention whore. I love her even more for that. Honestly, she's like a spiritual antidote to soulless people like LeMann, White Oprah and the Kardashians.

Recently I heard this rarity (linked below), an Irish Gaelic song she recorded for a friend of hers. It's just so beautiful. Kate's mother was Irish. And I've always had a theory that her entire family were actually old school pagans. Interesting tidbit: Terry Gilliam is one of her best friends.

Kate Bush - Gaelic Song - YouTube
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information