Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Roger Ebert, Legendary Critic, Dead at 70

Default Roger Ebert, Legendary Critic, Dead at 70

Roger Ebert, the celebrated film critic, has passed away at age 70. Though active as a critic and pundit to the very end, Ebert had battled thyroid cancer since 2002, and lost his voice in 2006 following surgical complications.

Just yesterday, Ebert, who reviewed thousands of movies across his career as a columnist at the Chicago Sun-Times and the host of several television programs, had announced he was taking "leave of presence" from his popular blog on the Sun-Times website. His last line: "So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Aw that's terribly sad. I hadn't realised he was still so ill after I read a review by him just the other day.

I love his last line.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Gold Member

Sad.

That's such a shame. He fought so long and went through so much. I've enjoyed reading him, especially his non-move related writings. RIP

Oh, this made me so sad. My husband actually pulled over on his way to work to tell me the news when he heard it on the radio. We used to watch "Sis & Ebe" every Sunday night. Glad he seemed to find a soulmate with Chaz, who stood by him through his ordeal. Miss you, Rog.

RIP, Mr. Ebert.

Damn, this really makes me sad. I watched Siskel and Ebert for years, and then even Ebert and Roeper, and read countless numbers of his reviews. He was great at what he did and I will miss his work.

How sad. I didn't realize what a short time he had left. He was a legend. RIP.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

So sad. Big hugs for Miss Chaz. RIP Roger...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I'm incredibly saddened by this. You will be missed, Mr. Ebert. RIP

Chicago, nation reacts to passing of Roger Ebert

BY KARA SPAK Staff Reporter/kspak@suntimes.com April 4, 2013 4:04PM

Related Stories

Updated: April 4, 2013 4:30PM

Friends and colleagues of Roger Ebert reacted and remembered as news of his death spread Thursday.

President Barack Obama: “Michelle and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Roger Ebert. For a generation of Americans — and especially Chicagoans *— Roger was the movies. When he didn’t like a film, he was honest; when he did, he was effusive — capturing the unique power of the movies to take us somewhere magical. Even amidst his own battles with cancer, Roger was as productive as he was resilient — continuing to share his passion and perspective with the world. The movies won’t be the same without Roger, and our thoughts and prayers are with Chaz and the rest of the Ebert family.”

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s statement: “Our whole city learned with sadness today of the passing of Roger Ebert, whose name was synonymous with two things: the movies and Chicago. In a Pulitzer Prize-winning career that spanned more than four decades, thousands of reviews and countless acts of generosity to others, Roger championed Chicago as a center for filmmaking and critiques. With a knowledge of his subject as deep as his love for his wife Chaz, Roger Ebert will be remembered for the strength of his work, respected for his courage in the face of illness, and revered for his contribution to filmmaking and to our city. The final reel of his life may have run through to the end, but his memory will never fade.”

Robert Redford, President & Founder of Sundance Institute: “Roger Ebert was one of the great champions of freedom of artistic expression. When the power of independent film was still unknown and few would support it, Roger was there for our artists. His personal passion for cinema was boundless, and that is sure to be his legacy for generations to come.”

Thea Flaum, creator and producer of the original Siskel and Ebert movie show and personal friend: “I am and have been enormously proud of Roger and of his wife. There is no question that in the last 10 years for sure Chaz Ebert is the reason that Roger has been able to achieve all of the things that he was able to achieve. And right up until the very end, Chaz was there caring for him and he for her.”

Barbara Scharres, director of programming at Siskel Film Center, who knew Ebert since 1975: “Roger was always someone who wanted to reach the largest possible public as a film critic. Film criticism wasn’t an elitist thing for him. And he was in the forefront of grasping the opportunities of the Internet where he developed a huge audience throughout the world. To generate so much dialogue about film was amazing, and he was the only film critic who really did that.”

Susan Matthiesen, director of marketing for Lyric Opera: “Roger was a subscriber at Lyric Opera for many, many years and was a good friend of our late general manager, Ardis Krainik. I remember that he was a particular fan of our program notes about each opera, and at one point he contacted Ardis to say they should be published. He put us in touch with his publisher at that time, and that was the genesis of our book of about 100 essays, “The Lyric Opera Companion: The History, Lore, and stories of the World’s Greatest Operas.”

Peter Sagal, host, NPR’s “Wait, Wait ... Don’t Tell Me”: “He was a great writer, a generous man to those less worthy than he, and a complete mensch. He made Chicago great in the same way that Studs Terkel did, and I will always be proud I shared the city with him.”

Dan Schmidt, President and CEO of WTTW-Channel 11: “Everyone at WTTW is deeply saddened by the loss of Roger Ebert, whose courageous battle with cancer in recent years was an inspiration to us all. He and the late Gene Siskel were seminal figures in film criticism, and certainly in the history of our station as their groundbreaking series Sneak Previews was created here. We were fortunate to enjoy a long and fruitful working relationship with Roger, and later also his beloved wife Chaz when his new series Ebert Presents at the Movies returned home to WTTW in 2011. Our sincerest condolences go out to his family, friends, colleagues, and his many fans all over the world. He was an incredible writer, thinker, and human being.”

Christie Hefner, former CEO of Playboy Enterprises and personal friend of Ebert: “He was unbelievably courageous. He was very open about his life. I think Chaz was the love of his life. I was at their wedding. It was a partnership in all sense of the word. I think that was very special. He loved Chicago. This was a person who clearly could have gone and been a star in New York or L.A. I don’t think it ever crossed his mind to leave Chicago.”

Jan Slater, Dean of the College of Media, Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: “The whole community is sad. Champaign-Urbana, this was home and his alma mater. We’ve always considered him a very important part of our family. We’re so grateful that he was ours and we miss him already.”

Alan Sepinwall, TV Critic: “Whether he was lavishing praise on a film or elegantly destroying it, on TV or in print, Ebert was so good at what he did that he inspired me to wonder if perhaps I could do that. And though I ultimately chose to cover a medium other than Ebert’s favorite, I almost always had his voice in my head as I wrote: Are you making the best, plainest form of the argument? Are you judging this work by what it’s trying to be, and not what you want it to be? I haven’t always succeeded at either point, but I always try. One of the greatest thrills of my career came almost three years ago, when Ebert randomly praised me on Twitter. It was a moment when I was at something of a crossroads in my career, and that compliment from the man who had inspired it — and the subsequent email correspondence we had — meant everything.”

Contributing: Hedy Weiss, Natasha Korecki, Bill Zwecker, Marcus Gilmer

Chicago, nation reacts to passing of Roger Ebert - Chicago Sun-Times
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

His body endured so much. Enough. R.I.P. Roger Ebert.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

So sad. Because of his statement that he was going to undergo more treatments, I thought this wasn't terminal and he could beat it again. He'll be missed.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Loved this man. Looking forward to his review of the afterlife.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

He was a legend. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Loved this man. Looking forward to his review of the afterlife.
    Two thumbs up!
    sluce and Sasha like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information