Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cindy Crawford says she & Richard Gere split over their 17-year age difference

Default Cindy Crawford says she & Richard Gere split over their 17-year age difference

Their love didn’t last a lifetime, but Cindy Crawford will always cherish the lessons she learned during her four-year marriage to Richard Gere. The model spoke candidly about their short-lived union during the March 11 episode of Oprah’s Master Class, citing their 17-year age difference as the biggest issue in their relationship.

The stars met in the early ’90s during a star-studded barbecue at the late photographer Herb Ritts’ home. Crawford recalled, “I was 21. It was still all new to me. I met Richard Gere there. We pretty much started dating right away. When I was with him, that’s when I was becoming well-known as well.” The stars married four years later when Crawford was 25 and Gere was 42; they divorced in 1995.
    “I just think your twenties, for women, is such a time when you’re starting to come into your own and feel your own power and connect to your inner strength, and it’s hard to do that — it’s hard to change — in a relationship, because what one person might have signed up for, all of a sudden, you’re not that anymore,” the model said. “I think I was more willing at 22 to be, like, ‘Okay, I’ll follow,’ but then you start going, ‘Well, I don’t want to just follow — I want to lead sometimes and I want to walk side by side sometimes.’
    “When I would see how he was with fans when they approached him, a lot of the times it wouldn’t be a good moment to sign an autograph, shake a hand or sign a picture. But I got to look to him to see how he created boundaries for himself that felt good,” Crawford said. “Being a nice girl fro the Midwest, my inclination is always to give and say yes because I want people to like me. But then I saw Richard do it in a way that was like, ‘You know what? Sorry, I’m not doing that. But I see you. He felt it was really just about making that connection, looking someone in the eyes and making sure that they felt seen.”

Though her marriage to Gere didn’t work out, Crawford doesn’t view it as a complete failure. “Richard’s a super smart guy, and he’s interesting, and he’s interested, and I learned a lot about the world,” she explained. “It was a great chapter in my life.”
    [From Us Weekly]

Cele|bitchy Blog Archive Cindy Crawford says she & Richard Gere split over their 17-year age difference

They sure were pretty together.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    They sure were pretty together.
    Yes they were. Honestly, it's been so long, I doubt anyone cares why she broke up with him.

I always thought it was the gerbil...
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

A. Had no clue they were married
    B. That is Courtney Stodden bra material right there

“When I would see how he was with fans when they approached him, a lot of the times it wouldn’t be a good moment to sign an autograph, shake a hand or sign a picture. But I got to look to him to see how he created boundaries for himself that felt good,” Crawford said. “Being a nice girl fro the Midwest, my inclination is always to give and say yes because I want people to like me. But then I saw Richard do it in a way that was like, ‘You know what? Sorry, I’m not doing that. But I see you. He felt it was really just about making that connection, looking someone in the eyes and making sure that they felt seen.”
    This sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. I think when you're famous, you just need to suck it up when someone asks you for an autograph. But thank GOD he deigned to look mere mortals in the eyes and make a connection with them. How fucking magnanimous. And that Pollyanna shit about being from the Midwest. Bitch, please.
    Callalily and Lu_Lu like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I heard it was because she was STOOPIT and that he once corrected her for saying epitome epi-tome
    Beeyotch, rollo and Bluebonnet like this.

When I was about 13 or so I was reading a book and in my head I pronounced "hor d'oevres" as whore do overs.
    gas_chick and Laurent like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Hors d'oeuvres. Puleez.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Back then I probably stared at them and Hugh Grant/Eliz Hurley all day long.

They did make a pretty couple. They both still look good too.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I heard it was because she was STOOPIT and that he once corrected her for saying epitome epi-tome
    See, that's just so much more fun to believe. I'm gonna go with that.
    sparkles and KrisNine like this.

I completely forgot that happened.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. I think when you're famous, you just need to suck it up when someone asks you for an autograph. But thank GOD he deigned to look mere mortals in the eyes and make a connection with them. How fucking magnanimous. And that Pollyanna shit about being from the Midwest. Bitch, please.
    IDK. If I were famous I would want some limits.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I think it's fine not to give autographs.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information