• 1 Post By MmeVertigina
  • 1 Post By BITTER
  • 2 Post By stef
  • 1 Post By Sylkyn
  • 2 Post By ConstanceSpry

Thread: Vivienne Westwood: Michelle Obama's style is dreadful

Default Vivienne Westwood: Michelle Obama's style is dreadful

Westwood on answering questions about how punk she is:
    “I think it’s ridiculous. I’m also rather bored with American journalists. Every time punk comes up, they think of me as a kind of trophy. ‘Oh, we know Vivienne, she’s great.’ And then you hear nothing from them in between. You know, America is an isolated territory, with all those editors who think they are so powerful. Mostly, I think they are rubbish. And I don’t like fashion magazines either. Someone asked me the other day, if I really was a world controller, what is the first thing I would do. I would stop advertising.”
    On whether punk fashion is making a comeback: “I don’t follow fashion. I really don’t. I’ve never been interested in it. I think punk has entered into the iconography of fashion. In 1970 or 1969, the shop we have, Worlds End at 430 Kings Road, that was Mr Freedom. I went in there and bought a pair of tight leopard-printed velvet trousers. I had never seen anything like it. It was the most amazing thing. Punk says rebellion. Now every child has seen this.”
    Can fashion still provoke? “Probably not. There’s such a communication of stylists. They weren’t very important once. The general public didn’t even know about them. They were paid very badly and worked for two weeks getting a shoot together and got a quarter of what the hair person got. Fashion has become so whatever. I don’t think there are any stones left to unturn.”
    On Duchess Kate: “I didn’t criticize her. I said that it would be a wonderful thing for her to wear her clothes more than once. She’s getting this wonderful look, but if she has a red look today, why does she have to wear the blue look tomorrow? It’s just by way of an example to other people that you should buy less. Don’t buy so many clothes.”
    On FLOTUS Mobama: “Don’t talk about her. It’s dreadful what she wears… I don’t want to talk about it. Really, I can’t. She’s a very nice looking lady, but it’s a nonstarter regarding clothes that suit her. Jackie Kennedy was a different matter altogether. It just has to suit her and be something that makes a human being more glamorous. That’s what fashion is there for. It’s there to help, not just to make you look more conservative.”
    [From The NY Times]

Cele|bitchy Blog Archive Vivienne Westwood, 71, on Michelle Obama: ‘It

Oh honey, given what you look like in that photo and what your clothing looks like, you have no wiggle room here.
    HWBL, rollo, BITTER and 4 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Oh honey, given what you look like in that photo and what your clothing looks like, you have no wiggle room here.
    I can see what you are saying, but Vivienne has always been true to her style, she does not play it safe & is inventive. I guess you could say the same about Michelle Obama, because in some ways she has modernized how the first lady dresses. I don't think Vivienne sees it that way though.
    sprynkles likes this.

Sorry, I am not a Westwood fashion fan in the least.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Sorry, I am not a Westwood fashion fan in the least.

I really like her early designs, I like what they stood for. The past few years it's been hit or miss for me.

She can be great on flattering draping but not on her own look.

The only decent thing Westwood made that I saw was Carrie Bradshaw's wedding dress in the Sex & The City movie. Other than that she's too out there. And she needs some veneers - her plates are looking jacked. I'm not always the biggest fan of Michelle's style, but she is not "dreadful". She doesn't always dress for her body type, which can be problematic, though.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Someone asked me the other day, if I really was a world controller, what is the first thing I would do. I would stop advertising.
    nice to know she's got her priorities straight, because advertizing is obviously the worst thing in this world.
    sluce and rollo like this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Can't help it, I love a rebel.

I don't care for HER look, but she's pretty dead on about MO. I hardly ever like anything she wears and most of the time it's just awful.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Michelle Obama doesn't have the greatest style, that's for sure. But at least she looks clean and well-groomed. Westwood usually looks like she just rolled out of bed and grabbed clothes from the dirty clothes hamper.
    Brookie and JazzyGirl like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Thread Information