Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Tina Fey: Mommy blogs ‘have some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever seen’

Default Tina Fey: Mommy blogs ‘have some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever seen’

There was a spot-on scene in the last 30 Rock where — as a new mom — you join an online chat group for moms and get into a catfight. Do you go to mommy blogs in real life?
    That was definitely built on experience with things I have seen. I have never . . . I don’t know how to post on any of those. So I promise you I have never posted. I have seen people pretending to be me post on Urban Baby. I had a friend call me and say, “Are you on Urban Baby?” I said no. I didn’t know what that was. I do think some of them – Urban Baby specifically – have some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever seen in my life. Terrible. There is no one running [those sites] or they would fix it.

At one point in the film, Portia says where your kid gets into college is a reflection of your parenting. Do you think that’s true?
    I do think the line is very true. People think it is a referendum on their parenting, it’s about how well they did. It’s a dangerous trap that we all fall into. Like, I will go too far, like, “we’re going to make the nicest cookies for the cookie thing.” And then later they are on the ground and it doesn’t matter. I think avoiding those kind of traps and just trying to be present for your children is best. It’s a lifelong lesson that I keep trying to learn.

What do you know now that you didn’t before you had kids?
    I think when your kids are really little, you just think, OK, I am going to look at What to Expect the First Year. But I got into a rut. I would still be treating the 11-month-old with the routine I had set up at 6 months. You kinda learn the longer you do it that their needs keep changing what they need and what they’re capable of.

Your daughter Alice is in grade school. Do you think it’s harder to get into Princeton or an NYC kindergarten?
    A New York City kindergarten, for sure! There’s so many kids on this little island. Plus, how can you possibly evaluate a 5-year-old? What if you take them that day and have to poop? If they have to poop, it’s over.

What about this “mommy role” in Admission interested you? There are so many roles where women are chasing motherhood and desperate to be mothers.
    I thought it was very interesting that this character was very clear that she did not want to be a mother and she did not want to be married or experience any of that, and she has to face the reality of this person does exist. So how is that going to work within your life? It was a nice thing I hadn’t seen before.

What did you learn about getting your kid into Princeton when they come of age?
    Hopefully what we’ve learned is that it doesn’t matter if they don’t get into Princeton. They will learn a lot in the Army.
    [From Us Weekly]

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Tina Fey: Mommy blogs ‘have some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever seen’

I thought it was very interesting that this character was very clear that she did not want to be a mother and she did not want to be married or experience any of that, and she has to face the reality of this person does exist. So how is that going to work within your life? It was a nice thing I hadn’t seen before.
    What? I want to know more about the plot now.

IMDB says

A Princeton admissions officer who is up for a major promotion takes a professional risk after she meets a college-bound alternative school kid who just might be the son she gave up years ago in a secret adoption.

She's right. Ever want to feel shitty about yourself as a mom, go to a mommy blog. Bunch of nasty, know-it-all cunts.

Man, why do people want to take motherhood, something that's supposed to be a great experience, and turn it into a shitty pissing contest? Assholes.
    BITTER, Glassberry and Mercer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Man, why do people want to take motherhood, something that's supposed to be a great experience, and turn it into a shitty pissing contest? Assholes.
    I have no idea, but they do. I learned early on to avoid those people. I guess they must be insecure or something.
    BITTER likes this.

Gold Member

There are a couple of parody blogs about "sanctimommies" that are hilarious.
    BITTER likes this.

Hopefully what we’ve learned is that it doesn’t matter if they don’t get into Princeton. They will learn a lot in the Army.

Mommy nazis are the fucking worst. I never bothered with that kind of shit because ... well, because fuck them, that's why. I made it through my childhood and I don't think I could fuck up a kid more than my parents did. It's nature and nurture - nobody needs those fucking blogs. My girlfriend goes to them (the one with basically quads) and it's just a constant pissing contest. Who needs that shit?
    BITTER likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

So true, mel! I steer clear of all mommyblogs but do check out pregnancy and parenting subreddits on reddit. Some interactions are very supportive and helpful but I have to wade through way too much whining and completely fucked attitudes.
    BITTER likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's nothing more than undermining other people's decisions, in order to validate your own.

It's like when you were a kid. You make decision A, your friend makes decision B. You really want to do B, but are stuck with A, so you try your hardest to make your friend feel bad about doing B, instead of A.
    BITTER, Bluebonnet and Sunrider like this.

If she thinks MommyBlogs are bad, just wait til she joins the PTA!
    Eloise and sluce like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Sooooo this mommy blog thing. I am uninformed on this. Is this where they blog about food and parenting and whatnot? Do the conversations take place in the comments or do they have forums or what?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Who the hell needs a fucking mommy blog when you've got this: http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/parenting-alcoholism/
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

I was lucky-not blogs around when I was preggers and raising my kid. Just the usual in-your-face relatives and friends.

For those of you unfortunate enought to miss the mommy blogs, I'll sum them up for you:
    1. If you don't breastfeed your child until at least age 5, they will be sickly, dumb, and have detachment issues. You have failed.
    2. If you go to a standard generic party place for your child's birthday, rather than creatively planning your own, your child will be scarred. You have failed.
    3. The only acceptable job that will not scar the child for life involves painting large obnoxious signs, buckets and bows for other children and selling them on the internet. Any other job outside the home is unacceptable. You should have married a man who makes more money. You have failed.
    4. If your stroller costs less than $500, the safety of your child is obviously not paramount. You have failed.
    5. If you do not have the carseat laws memorized for your particular state/country, death is imminent. You have failed.
    6. If you ingested anything that was not organic when you were pregnant, your child will get cancer, and it will be your fault. You have failed.

I've left a few off, but that's the main summary I got.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information