Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Zoe Saldana Shrugs Off Nina Simone Backlash

Default Zoe Saldana Shrugs Off Nina Simone Backlash

'I know who I am, and I know what Nina Simone means to me'

Zoe Saldana
    Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic)

In a pre-Oscars interview with HipHollywood, Zoe Saldana responded to the backlash that resulted when she took the role of Nina Simone in the upcoming biopic Nina, replacing R&B star Mary J. Blige.
    "What keeps me focused and what kept me from getting stressed from being hurt by the comments is I'm doing it for my sisters, I'm doing it for my brothers, and I don't care who tells me I am not this and I am not that," the Star Trek actress said. "I know who I am, and I know what Nina Simone means to me."

Saldana's casting was met with criticism as many took issue with the fact that she wasn't a singer, doesn't claim to be African-American and doesn't resemble Simone.
    Still, Saldana maintained that regardless of the response to the film, positive or negative, she would keep her chin up. "That's who I am and that's who I'll be – and Nina was like that too," she said. "I did it out of love: Out of love for Nina, out of love for my people and who I am, and my pride of being a black woman and a Latina woman and an American woman."
    Nina reportedly began production in Los Angeles back in October. The film was written by Cynthia Mort, who's also attached to direct.

Read more: Zoe Saldana Shrugs Off Nina Simone Backlash | Movies News | Rolling Stone
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I just googled Nina Simone and Zoe looks NOTHING like her so I can understand the backlash, but it should be pointed to the casting director instead of Zoe.

Part of Nina's story is that she was a homely woman. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. She caught hell for this, and it's part of her story. Zoe is too photogenic to be believable as Nina.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Dark brown makeup and looks like a prosthetic nose. There were other better actresses who could have played this part.
    BITTER and pinkbunnyslippers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Saldana's casting was met with criticism as many took issue with the fact that she wasn't a singer, doesn't claim to be African-American and doesn't resemble Simone.
    how can she claim to be african-american if she's half puerto rican and half dominican? and why does she have to be african-american to play the part? that's like when people bitch about american actors playing brits. it's called acting, get the fuck over it.
    it's not like she's white and blonde and they're putting her in blackface to play the part. then i could see people getting pissed.

and i don't even like this bitch so it's annoying that i have to stand up to her.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The role should have went to India Arie...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    how can she claim to be african-american if she's half puerto rican and half dominican? and why does she have to be african-american to play the part? that's like when people bitch about american actors playing brits. it's called acting, get the fuck over it.
    it's not like she's white and blonde and they're putting her in blackface to play the part. then i could see people getting pissed.

and i don't even like this bitch so it's annoying that i have to stand up to her.
    Most Dominicans are of African descent though most do not identify themselves as such.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    The role should have went to India Arie...
    Oh my word YES

It looks like the problem with India Arie is that she has very little acting credits. It could be that I'm just not finding the correct stuff on IMDB, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Most Dominicans are of African descent though most do not identify themselves as such.
    i know that but african-american isn't usually used to refer to people from other countries in the americas who are of black descent, so it would be incorrect to use the term to describe saldana since the 'american' in african-american refers to the US, not the american continent.
    NickiDrea likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

PuertoRico is 'owned' by the US, for want of a better term. So African-American would be correct.
    greysfang likes this.

puerto ricans refer to themselves as boricua, not as african americans.
    not everyone of african descent needs to identify as african-american. some refer to themselves as afro-descendants, or afro-caribbean, garifuna, there are a lot of other terms. i think it's presumptuous to think african-american describes every person of black descent who lives in the US. there's a whole continent south of the border, you know. and people from there have every right to use those countries to describe where they're originally from.
    olivia, Daisy Sun and BITTER like this.

Elite Member

Like when Angelina Jolie played Marianne Pearl?
    Kathie_Moffett and arie_skop like this.

Elite Member

puerto ricans refer to themselves as boricua, not as african americans.
    not everyone of african descent needs to identify as african-american. some refer to themselves as afro-descendants, or afro-caribbean, garifuna, there are a lot of other terms. i think it's presumptuous to think african-american describes every person of black descent who lives in the US. there's a whole continent south of the border, you know. and people from there have every right to use those countries to describe where they're originally from.

No argument from me. I still call myself black.

My son had a friend whose race was actually east Indian, but he was born in Kenya. He became a US citizen along with his parents while in elem school. When the teacher asked the African-American children to raise their hands (I don't even remember why she asked this), and he raised his, she was trying to argue with him telling him he was not African-American, he insisted he was & then she told him that he wasn't really AA.
    What a moron she was. I know his dad went in and pitched a fit the next day.
    Wonderful FL education system.

I'm not sure why you have to look just like the part you are playing. I mean take Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon for example. Neither one of them looked a damn bit like Johnny Cash or June Carter Cash but it was a solid performance from both of them.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information