Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Jason Patric denied custody rights to his child as a ‘sperm donor’

fgg

Default Jason Patric denied custody rights to his child as a ‘sperm donor’

Jason Patric denied custody rights to his child as a ‘sperm donor’: is this fair?

Does anyone remember Jason Patric? I used to have the biggest crush on this guy in the 1980s when he starred opposite Kiefer Sutherland in The Lost Boys, and Jason was also really good as an undercover cop who gets sucked into drugs in Rush. After that last movie, I think everyone thought he would turn into an amazing dramatic actor, but that didn’t really happen. Oh well. From a gossip standpoint, Jason gave an interview a few years ago in which he labelled Ashley Judd as “a lazy and arrogant actress” and described Lady Gaga’s shtick as follows: “You take a sh-t in a Cuisinart and put some pasties and get Auto-Tuned.” Yet Jason is best remembered as the dude who stole Julia Roberts from Kiefer Sutherland days before their wedding. It was so pathetic — Jason and Julia just ran off to Ireland, and Kiefer was left to drown his sorrows in many bottles of booze. You know, Kiefer has never been very good at dodging bullets (other than as Jack Bauer on “24″), but he dodged a major one with Julia. Can you imagine if they had actually married? It wouldn’t have lasted more than two years. More on that in a bit.

Anyway, these are photos of Jason in 2011 enjoying some “happy family time” in Maui with his girlfriend and son. Only it’s more complicated than that. The girlfriend, Danielle Schreiber, was actually an ex-girlfriend with whom Jason had recently reunited. The child, Gus, is truly Jason’s biological son, but he was not conceived in the traditional manner. Rather, Jason had given Danielle his sperm after their breakup in 2009, and he did so under the condition of not being required to provide any child support or be required to help raise the child. So he was technically a sperm doner, but then Jason and Danielle got back together, and he apparently decided that he enjoyed acting as a father to his son. All went well until Jason and Danielle broke up again, and then (presumably) Danielle kicked him out of Gus’ life. Jason went to court to try and gain custody rights (TMZ doesn’t make it clear whether he was going for joint or full custody), and the judge told him Jason had no rights to the child since this was a sperm donor situation. TMZ has the story:

Jason Patric was just shut down by a judge in his bid to win paternity and custody rights over his son … TMZ has learned.

Jason was locked in a bitter legal war with ex-GF Danielle Schreiber. The two were together for years but broke up in 2009. At the time they ended the relationship Jason told Danielle he didn’t have any money to give her but he would give her his sperm, provided he had nothing to do with raising the child and she didn’t ask for child support.

Danielle was artificially inseminated with the help of a doctor, and Gus was born in December, 2009.

Jason went away and had no contact with Gus, but came back in 2011. Jason and Danielle got back together … but they broke up again. That’s when he decided he wanted custody.

The trial has been going on for a week, and we’ve learned the judge just laid down the law — a law that says if a man donates sperm to a woman to whom he is NOT married and she’s inseminated with the help of a doctor … the man has no paternity rights or claim of custody.

As we previously reported … Danielle let Jason see Gus for visits, but there was no court order enforcing that. We don’t know if she will continue to let Jason see the child.

[From TMZ]

It sounds like both Danielle and Jason — if he was going for full custody — are feeling vindictive in the aftermath of their latest breakup. But if we give Jason the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was merely going for joint custody and visitation with child support, then this is a very sad situation. Actually, it’s a sad situation no matter how you frame it. Gus got to know his dad, who had experienced a change of heart and decided that he was willing to be a father to his child. But since Jason had only acted as a “sperm donor” in the first place, he may never get to see his child again if that’s what Danielle wants.

Jason and Danielle were never married, but the main problem I see here with Jason’s case is that the insemination was done in a doctor’s office, and there’s probably plenty of paperwork that proves Jason wanted nothing to do with the kid after conception. If he and Danielle had made a baby with one last roll in the hay, the outcome of this case probably would have been different. Sad.

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Jason Patric denied custody rights to his child as a ‘sperm donor’: is this fair?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

"After that last movie, I think everyone thought he would turn into an amazing dramatic actor, but that didn’t really happen."

Jason IS an amazing dramatic actor his career just never went anywhere after Rush.

He's still hot as fuck to me, tho.

This story is all kinds of WTF and I don't know why he would think a judge was going to grant him full custody. I think if he wants visitation great.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I don't trust people who get into show business and whine about doing publicity for their projects. He was one of those people. Didn't want to do interviews or pose for pics or anything like that. They tried to market him as "brooding" and "intense" and someone with a "fiercely guarded" private life. If you don't want people to ask about your private life, don't go into show business. I mean, you can refuse to play the publicity game, but IMO it will curtail your career these days. But if you are good at what you do and your picture gets in the papers, people are going to be curious about you. WTF is that "pay me for my said project, but don't be gettin' all up in my business"? I don't care if he did call Ashley Judd on her BS, he's dished out enough shovelfuls of his own. And I do think he's a good actor, very good even.

The cuckolding of Kiefer Drunkerland was fucked up up on his part too. And Julia "Mrs. Ed" Roberts, whom I dislike more and more every year.

He comes across as a self-important douchebag who takes himself wayyyyyyy too seriously. I have no sympathy for him. The gf probably realized what her kid would turn out like if this prick had a hand in raising him and just cut her losses...
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

This is Danielle's fault because after watching "Lost Boys", she should have known that once you invite a vampire back into your house, it's virtually impossible to get them to leave again.
    BITTER, SHELLEE, nancydrew and 4 others like this.

Elite Member

Jason lost my interest when he refused to acknowledge that Jackie Gleason is his grandfather, or address the subject in interviews. What else are people going to ask about? If you think you're too good to be associated with a Hollywood legend, yet want to work in the movie business, something is wrong with your schematics.
    BITTER likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

If they'd never gotten back together after the initial sperm donation, I would think the judge was right but the fact that they got back together and he spent time with the child and had a father-son relationship, negates his role as merely a donor and entitles him to at least partial custody or visitation rights.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

And if she ever had to get some kind of financial assistance raising the child...
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^^ I agree with Sput. I'm wondering why it's not called or he doesn't want just visitation. Spend time with the child, be a father if he wants to, pay child support because he wants to and let this kid have a dad. Sounds like she doesn't want Jason around for the next 18 years.

On another note, Kiefer and Jason have kissed and made up because I saw them in a That Championship Season on Broadway last year.

Even though his career never really took off, he was good in Sleepers, also quite impressively chilling in Neil LaBute's Your friends and Neighbors.

The whole arrangement is bizarre to me. The chick was that into breeding with him that she accepted his sperm as a parting gift? He happily ignored his kid for 2 years then played daddy for 1 or so? Is Danielle being a vindictive bitch who is hurting her son or are they both using the kid in a tug of war?

Yeah I'm feeling really sorry for the wee fella here, it sounds like both of his parents are really douchey. It's a terrible shame that he won't get to know his dad though - that's just extraordinary to me.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

If a woman wants to have a child completely on her own, then she should get an anonymous donor via a sperm bank. Don't go to someone you dated and then whine later on because he wants to be part of the child's life, especially if you started dating him again and let him get to know the kid - jebus, what do you expect might happen?

Does no one have common sense any more?
    sluce, Trixie, sprynkles and 10 others like this.

Someday this little boy will google and find that his mother prevented his father from being in his life.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree Jason might not deserve joint custody but visitation is not too much to ask for under the circumstances. Unless there is some dark shit about Jason that we're not aware of and that contributed to this decision he should appeal it.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Someday this little boy will google and find that his mother prevented his father from being in his life.
    That was kind of my view. The cat's out of the bag, and now there are news stories all over the place about it. A lot of kids end up being curious about an absent parent, and if they find out that that parent actually wanted to be part of their lives and the custodial parent blocked it, it could have some negative repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    On another note, Kiefer and Jason have kissed and made up because I saw them in a That Championship Season on Broadway last year.
    That brings up another point - What originally happened was that months earlier, Kiefer Sutherland had been rumored to be having an affair with a go-go dancer while researching a movie. The dancer talks to the tabloids and claims not only an affair but that Sutherland said a bunch of mean things about Roberts (all of which were probably true). Things seemed to be getting better, but then Roberts backed out of the wedding. (Miss Roberts Regrets - Breakups, Engagements, Julia Roberts, Kiefer Sutherland : People.com)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information