Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Azealia Banks calls blogger Perez Hilton "a messy faggot"

Default Azealia Banks calls blogger Perez Hilton "a messy faggot"

Azealia Banks calls blogger Perez Hilton "a messy faggot" — and ignores GLAAD's plea to make amends for the slur

The rapper Azealia Banks’ social media meltdown last week — culminating in her calling the gay blogger Perez Hilton a “messy faggot” — continues to suffer fallout. This morning brings rumors that Interscope Records has dropped the rapper.

Banks has not apologized for her remarks. Indeed, she’s amplified them, noting: “A faggot is not a homosexual male. A faggot is any male who acts like a female. There’s a BIG difference.” A GLAAD spokesman this morning indicated that she has also ignored attempts from the advocacy firm to make amends for the homophobic slur.

“In this case, it was not a slip of the tongue but a very deliberate statement that she has defended,” said Rich Ferraro, GLAAD’s vice-president of communications. “There’s certainly a trickle-down effect for young people when a celebrity they follow defends the use of words like this. It enables them to use words like that on the playground.”

There is a long history of homophobia in hip-hop: Even as gay-friendly a rapper as the candy-colored Nicki Minaj felt the need to release a track with Eminem in which he bashes her gay audience by dropping the other F-bomb. And practically no utterance between two men in hip-hop can go without a statement like “No homo” or “pause,” indicating that the musician isn’t, well, a fag. Banks, as well as R&B singer Frank Ocean (who’s affiliated with the at times virulently antigay crew Odd Future), seemed to be ending the old hegemony; Banks is an open bisexual, while Ocean admitted this past summer to having been in love with a man, though he does not define himself. Though many queer people use homophobic slurs to one another, this is more in keeping with hip-hop tradition than the subversive privilege of mutually oppressed people.

“The end goal has to not be about Azealia Banks but about the young people who follow her,” said Ferraro, noting that the organization was no longer attempting to be a “watchdog” condemning behavior but rather engaging with celebrities on the social Web. The group’s tweets at Banks (one example is here) invited her to engage in a dialogue with bullied gay teens. (Not all of GLAAD’s campaigns of tweets at celebrities have resonated as well — the group’s strange misunderstanding with reality-show judge Blake Shelton presumed his rewriting of a Shania Twain song was meant to be sung by a gay-bashing man, rather than Twain herself.) Banks didn’t write back, said Ferraro, nor did her manager respond to GLAAD’s request. Rather than continuing to attempt contact, the group has been working over the weekend to put together responses from young people, including Banks’ fans, about their experience of hearing slurs. “We’ve heard from Azealia Banks about what this word means, and we’ve heard from GLAAD about what this word means,” said Ferraro.

The response to the Banks imbroglio on GLAAD’s website presumes Banks’ ignorance of the term’s history and how it offends; it’s fairly similar to the treatment of former “Grey’s Anatomy” star Isaiah Washington, who called a castmate a “faggot” on-set and using the term again at the Golden Globes. He ended up shooting a PSA for GLAAD, but was fired from his hit show and left the public eye thereafter.

A hip-hop artist’s career unravels for talking trash - Salon.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Well, at least she was right about Pigrez. But where are her PR people, it's like a career suicide?

are you for fucking real?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Nobody should ever be called that, even the asshole Perez.

Calling him a messy asshole would have had greater impact too.
    shedevilang likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Welp she is over. See ya, bitch!
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Did Perez Hilton hurled this term at Will I Am a few years back?
    Callalily, shedevilang and Pinkii like this.

Why yes, yes he did. Here is the link where he ever admitted doing so.

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Perez Hilton admits he called Will.i.am a “fag” before he got a beat down
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Never heard of you before and I hope to never hear about you again.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

A faggot is any male who acts like a female.
    Funny, I always thought a faggot was a bundle of wood. Turns out I was right. It's also a British meatball and a term used in metalworking and knitting.

Faggot

And a cigarette!

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Funny, I always thought a faggot was a bundle of wood. Turns out I was right. It's also a British meatball and a term used in metalworking and knitting.

Faggot
    Yep, my mom said she sang a song in Girl Scouts growing up about going into the woods to gather faggot for the campfire. She, like most sensible people, abhors the word used in a negative way.

Speaking of this, my brother and I were talking over the weekend about some childhood friends of ours. Their parents were good friends of our parents. They lived in the Rehoboth Beach area of Maryland and the dad and the older son hated the gay population that had moved in - referring to them as "fags" with their voiced dripping with disdain. And because I was a kid that was the first time I had really heard about gay people - and the impression that it left about them took years to get over.

Anyway, the younger son has dropped almost completely dropped out of the loop with the family. He lives in Miami, and he doesn't participate in very many family events. My brother and I both thought that the younger brother was gay, and in retrospect, I can't IMAGINE how much it hurt this guy to hear his older brother and dad talking this way.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I remember that incident. It happened right here in Toronto.

And I'm sorry but Hilton deserves whatever slander comes his way. Not because he's gay, but because he dishes it out enough himself.

Karma baby

I used to eat faggot all the time when I was younger - I love it, great comfort food. That's the original meaning of the word to me.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information