Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie Kicked To The Curb: No More Freebies For Them!!

Default Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie Kicked To The Curb: No More Freebies For Them!!

In yet another humiliation for Prince Andrew's dynasty, he is to be required to pay rent on the royal apartment occupied by his children, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, after their ousting from the family firm.

Still, its not a bad deal - he is only having to cough up about $30,000 to allow his two daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie to stay on in a four-bedroom apartment in the heart of London at St James’s Palace, according to The Daily Express's Richard Palmer.

Beatrice, 24, and Eugenie, 22, lost their taxpayer funded bodyguards and were excluded from the Jubilee balcony appearance by Prince Charles earlier this year. Charles is determined to 'slim down' the monarchy, and the the fifth and sixth in line to the throne have been told they must get jobs and will not be on the royal pay roll.

They have now been told they are no longer eligible to stay on rent-free in the attic apartment – which was refurbished at a cost to the taxpayer of £250,000 in 2008 – "because they have finished full-time education and do not undertake official royal duties on behalf of the Queen," says Palmer.

"They fall into the same category as Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, who for the past two years have been forced to pay £120,000 a year for their sumptuous Kensington Palace apartment after MPs objected to them living there rent-free.

"Buckingham Palace officials described that as the market value for the Michaels’ apartment. Andrew, however, is paying a fraction of the market rent for his daughters’ apartment. The London’s estate agents Savills estimated the market rent for a four-bedroom flat in an historic building in the St James’s area at between £100,000 and £150,000 per year."

Source: Princess Beatrice and Eugenie Lose Rent-Free Royal Digs As Ousting Continues - The Daily Beast
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Oh well. I totally get this. It makes sense. I wonder what they are qualified to do, besides wear hideous clothes?
    rockchick likes this.

And be ugly. If they could get paid for that, they could buy Buckingham Palace.
    Last edited by BITTER; December 28th, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Chilly Willy likes this.

Elite Member

I really know nothing about these two, but they always struck me as obnoxious hangers-on. Maybe it's because of their mom.

They have now been told they are no longer eligible to stay on rent-free in the attic apartment – which was refurbished at a cost to the taxpayer of £250,000 in 2008 – "because they have finished full-time education and do not undertake official royal duties on behalf of the Queen," says Palmer.
    I wonder if that means that they choose not to undertake official duties on behalf of the Queen or that it's not asked of them?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What are their degrees in? Clearly, they have a unique cachet and someone will hire them for something. Just hope that they aren't dumb with money like their mother.

Countdown to both marrying wealthy men in 5...4...3...2...
    roslyntaberfan, Jazzy and Sunrider like this.

Elite Member

Good! It's about time needless expenses were curbed. Prince Andrew and his family cost the taxpayer so much frigging money, it's a disgrace. I'm not a Royalist by any stretch of the imagination but I do respect Princess Anne for raising her kids without HRH titles which has meant that they have had to support themselves. They're undoubtedly still privileged but at least they don't drain public money.
    rockchick and Bluebonnet like this.

However, they are blood princesses and the Queen made it clear earlier in the year they would be treated as such. I am quite certain betweem Andrew and Her Majesty they are far from wanting.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJag is right. They aren't poor at all. They'll be fine.

They'll still be ugly, but they won't ever be homeless.
    rockchick, redcat and Bluebonnet like this.

Being treated as a princess |(i.e. going in front of Camilla & Waity-Preggers_Katie) is one thing, having to get a job & pay their way when we are in year 45624564 of a recession is another (IMO). They need to get jobs and cease getting the public to support them via our tax money. Although I'm sure that if they joined the family firm that they would be paid a stipend. The thing is that the family is loaded, and that increases resentment from the public when folks are struggling to keep a roof over their heads, etc. I support Charles in this move & feel that it will be a popular one.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Charles' sons both have jobs, and pretty tough ones too, in addition to their pretty busy schedules of official royal duties. So I'm sure Charles is probably pissed that these two are in their mid-twenties and don't have either royal duties or any plans at getting a job.

I remember reading that HM has always treated Andrew as her favorite and indulges him like no one else, which is why he's been able to skate by for so long doing stuff that the other royals hate (like supporting Fergie, spoiling his kids rotten, etc.) because all he has to do is go to Mummy. Apparently Andrew is shitting himself about the fact that QEII will die and Charles will be in charge, because the brothers don't get along. Supposedly Charles has told Andrew that once he's king, Andrew is not going to get a free ride anymore.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

If the Queen is still "in charge", how was Charles able to make this happen? Did he strong arm his mother?

Elite Member

All the kids of QE2 have jobs (or extensive volunteer commitments) and their children have jobs...except for Andrew and his sloppy daughters. Yay Charles for yanking them into reality, where those girls will give the world loads of scandal as they try many avenues for making money. Shit, if they were allowed, Eug and Bea should make a reality show of it. Princesses at the pork pie factory, raising sheep, selling underwear at a downscale mall, I'd watch it.
    Palermo and piperdiva like this.

Could be pressure is coming from other places as well. Aren't they they only two of the grandchildren that don't work? Will and Harry work and both of Anne's children have jobs.
    rockchick likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information