Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: David Letterman: Jay Leno Is "the Most Insecure Person I Have Ever Known"

fgg

Default David Letterman: Jay Leno Is "the Most Insecure Person I Have Ever Known"

David Letterman: Jay Leno Is "the Most Insecure Person I Have Ever Known"

And the feud goes on.

David Letterman and Jay Leno have been locked in a highly publicized rivalry for two decades now -- ever since Leno was named Johnny Carson's Tonight Show replacement over Letterman, who left NBC for CBS as a result of the snub. The battle between the two comedians is so famous that it was the subject of a 1996 HBO film, The Late Shift. But Letterman claims that their fallout is more complicated than some 20-year-old spat over a job.

In a new teaser for his sit-down with frenemy Oprah Winfrey -- with whom he had a 16-year feud beginning in 1989 -- Leno's rival opens up about his much-discussed relationship with his fellow comic and former pal. (The full Oprah's Next Chapter interview airs Jan. 6 on OWN.)

"We were always friends before all of this happened," the Late Show host, 65, tells Winfrey. "He has a way...he's an unusual fellow. I've never met anyone quite like Jay."

He goes on to add that despite their feud, he thinks Leno is "the funniest guy" he's ever known. "If you go to see him do his nightclub act, [he's] just the funniest, the smartest, a wonderful observationist, and very appealing as a comic," Letterman says.

High praise -- but there's a "but."

"Therefore, the fact that he is also maybe the most insecure person I have ever known...I could never reconcile that," the comic says.

David Letterman: Jay Leno Is "the Most Insecure Person I Have Ever Known" - UsMagazine.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I find the most insecure people I know are the ones I'd expect least likely to be. It's like they try the hardest, because once they see themselves as/are told they are the funniest/prettiest/most intelligent they need to maintain that, and constantly seek praise and approval. When someone else is funnier, or prettier, they feel really crap about themselves.

Slightly off-topic, but that's what Leno sounds like to me.
    tulip, Waterslide and Daisy Sun like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I've always thought Leno was a douchebag, but that debacle with Conan O'Brien and The Tonight Show really solidified it for me.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I think most comedians are pretty insecure, so I don't think Letterman is far behind Leno on that scale. Not that I'm passing judgment on either one of them necessarily, it's just the nature of the beast.

As for the quote from Letterman, it doesn't sound like he's trying to dis Leno exactly, just that he can't understand how someone as talented as he finds Leno to be could actually be that insecure.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I think they're both crap tbh and have never gotten the appeal of either of them. Conan is by far the funniest of the three. The A list site also reports that Conan is super insecure also.

Humor and wit are the only way the ugly kids get to hang with the cool club. I speak from experience.

And someone needs to tell Dave insulting others to get ahead is also a pretty big sign of insecurity.
    HWBL and Brookie like this.

I remember when Jay was on Dave's show as a guest all the time. I couldn't stand him, and I wondered why Dave had him on so often. I read something, I think in TV Guide, wondering the same thing and saying how annoying it was. Then the next thing you know Jay is permanent guest host for Johnny and then he gets the job permanently, which I thought was such a schmucky thing for him to do to the guy who helped him so much.
    Daisy Sun and snoopqueen like this.

Conan used to be a really funny guy, but my guess is that he's more insecure than Jay and Dave combined.
    HWBL and Rusalka like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I watch Letterman. Watched Lopez til Conan Lenoed him
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I always think it's telling about Leno that so many other comedians dislike him.
    I'm on Joan Rivers Twitter and she wrote this week, "Heard that NBC might replace Jay Leno with Jimmy Fallon. Apparently they’re ready to try something new on the Tonight Show…humor"
    Howard Stern has been on Letterman where he talked about how he can't stand Leno and Jimmy Kimmel was being interviewed about his show taking over the 11.35 slot and talked about how much he loved Letterman but hated Leno, especially for what he did to Conan.
    Didn't Johnny Carson, years ago, want to give his show to Letterman instead of Leno? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who actually likes Leno!

I don't know. All that Team Coco stuff at the end kind of started to make me not like Conan so much. There was a time when I thought Conan was funnier than Letterman, which is saying something, considering how much I loved Letterman for as long as I can remember. And Conan's last week when he was spending all the money in his budget on ridiculous things as a final F U to NBC, which I guess I get, but it was right about the same time of the tsunami in Japan and it fell flat, with me at least. Not that it's his job to send money or goods to Japan, but I remember thinking about all the suffering going on there, so I guess I wasn't in the mood to find it very funny. I do agree that NBC didn't give him much of a chance to prove himself on The Tonight Show, but at the same time it's show business. Was it ideal? No. Was it shady on Leno's part? Yeah, but I thought NBC came to him and asked him to come back? I might be wrong on that point, but I couldn't figure out why he should say no. Either way, Conan was out. Then when a year or so passed and Conan was still hanging onto the anger about it and ragging on Jay and all that other stuff, it just seemed kind of sad to me.

My point is, I can understand why Conan was so angry and hurt, but I think a lot of his reaction was really immature and insecure and definitely unprofessional.

As for why all the other players in this situation all seem to have closed ranks on Leno, I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe they all have their own bones to pick with him over the years. Maybe they feel like he really isn't as funny as the other names being mentioned and that everything came too easy to him. I'm pretty much neutral on Leno, but I also can't see him being this evil, masterminding talk show host that will step on anyone's head to get to the top. OK maybe a few heads. But, he's not Katie Couric or something. If there's more to the story about Leno being a badder guy than I'm making him out to be, I would be curious to read about it.
    HWBL and Flygirl like this.

Leno forced Carson into retirement. He and his manager planted stories in the press that NBC was unhappy with Carson, that Carson was too old and out of it, etc. Carson found out and confronted Leno about it and never liked him after that.

The first year Leno hosted the Tonight Show the ratings were so bad that NBC went behind his back and offered the job to Letterman saying they'd made a mistake. Letterman refused because he was happier at CBS and said he didn't like Jay, but wouldn't humiliate him like that. Leno went whining to the press at the time and said how unfair it was that he'd only been given a year, no one could expect an adjustment in that time, etc. Which is why it was so shitty when Leno tried to blame Conan for the low Tonight Show ratings in his first nine months on the air, especially since a huge part of that was Leno's fault with his disastrous nightly talk show which wrecked NBC's primetime schedule. Because when Leno tanked for much longer than that he was full of excuses, but when he had a direct hand in wrecking Conan's ratings suddenly it was only Conan's fault. (Leno's Tonight Show only recovered in ratings when NBC's primetime schedule bounced back with The Cosby Show, Cheers, et al.) The only reason Leno got away with it was because he was buddies with Jeff Zucker, but Zucker is gone now (fired partially because of the Tonight Show debacle).

Leno's ratings have been down ever since his return and now with Zucker gone he has no protection, so he's getting axed next year. They already cut half the staff to save costs and are running a skeleton crew now. In the end, Conan and Letterman are going to have the last laugh, because they'll both still outlast Leno on the air. And instead of retiring gracefully and getting the dignified sendoff (with five years of preparation!) he got when Conan took over, Leno is going to end his TV career basically in disgrace as the the guy who wrecked NBC primetime, fucked over two different Late Night hosts, brought The Tonight Show to its lowest depths and got the president of NBC fired, only to eventually get fired himself. All because he panicked and decided he couldn't deal not having his own TV show. All those people he screwed over (including his own staff) for a paltry extra two years of airtime. Sad.
    olivia, Laurent, Beeyotch and 6 others like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

fgg

^where is all of that info coming from?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I never cared much for Leno. I found him arrogant and "schmaltzy." I do like Letterman but don't find him as funny as I used to. Conan's good too.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ^where is all of that info coming from?
    I was wondering the same thing. Found these, not exactly what NoNo was saying, but Leno's contract is up in 2014.

Jimmy Fallon, 'Tonight Show' host? NBC considers another succession plan

By Rick Porter

December 18, 2012 1:41 PM ET

Stop us if you've heard this before: NBC is thinking about a succession plan for "The Tonight Show" that would have the current host of "Late Night," who has a lot of cachet among younger viewers, take over for Jay Leno when Leno's contract is up in a couple years.

Yes, it's like 2004 all over again, when NBC announced -- five years out -- that Conan O'Brien would take over for Leno in 2009. He did, briefly, only to suffer meager ratings -- possibly due in part to the network's scheduling of the prime-time "Jay Leno Show" at 10 p.m. that fall -- and one of the uglier showbiz exits in recent memory.

The possible successor this time, though, is Jimmy Fallon. The New York Daily News reports talent agents have received feelers from NBC about finding a new "Late Night" host in 2014. That's when Leno's current contract ends and when, presumably, NBC might try to make the shift to a new "Tonight" host. Leno has been the show's host for 19 years, making him the second longest-serving host afterJohnny Carson.

"The Tonight Show" remains the ratings leader among late-night talk shows, although it's not as dominant as it once was. So far this season Leno is averaging 3.5 million viewers and a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49, compared to 3.1 million and 0.7. for CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman." ABC's"Nightline" (3.9 million) actually leads both talk shows in viewers in their common time period.

NBC hasn't publicly commented on the long-term future of "The Tonight Show." Maybe that will help this time around.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/12/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-host-nbc-considers-another-succession-plan.html

Jimmy Fallon To Replace Jay Leno As 'Tonight Show' Host In 2014? Daily News Says NBC Exploring Option

The Huffington Post | By Ross Luippold Posted: 12/17/2012 1:57 pm EST | Updated: 12/17/2012 4:33 pm EST

Here we go again.

The New York Daily News
    reports that unnamed NBC executives have begun "quietly" exploring the option of replacing "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno with "Late Night" comedian Jimmy Fallon when Leno's contract expires in 2014.

Sound familiar? If the rumor proves correct, it would represent the third time that Jay Leno's "Tonight Show" throne is threatened by the host of "Late Night."
    Original host David Letterman was widely seen as Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" successor, and left NBC after being passed over for the job in favor of Leno in 1993. Letterman's "Late Night" replacement, Conan O'Brien, took over "Tonight" in 2009 for a mere 7 months, after which NBC reinstated Leno.
    With Leno as host, "The Tonight Show" has since returned to the top of the ratings, although ratings for late night have declined across the board in recent years.
    If Leno's ratings remain strong, pushing him out could present the same problems that occurred with the O'Brien debacle. As described in Bill Carter's "The War for Late Night," Leno was confused and hurt in 2004 when NBC brass informed him that O'Brien would take his job in five years, even though Leno's show was solidly number one.
    The late night landscape has changed even since 2009. Next month, ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" will move from 12:35 to 11:35, thus becoming the first major network competition to Jay Leno and David Letterman. With both Leno and Letterman over 60 years old, the much younger Kimmel will provide a long-term strategy for ABC's late night programming.
    Fallon, 38, would do the same for NBC. In addition to his relative youth, Fallon is the type of mainstream personality that would likely perform well at 11:35. He quickly defied expectations when taking over "Late Night" in 2009 by hosting one of the most buzzed-about shows on television, marked by song parodies, celebrity impressions and a loose, freewheeling tone. The show's house band, rock/R&B collective The Roots, has been crucial to the show's success.
    In addition to ratings success (in November 2012, his show had 14 percent higher ratings than CBS competition "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson"), he hosted the Emmys in 2010, and was invited to host the Academy Awards in 2013 (but declined).
    But would Fallon want the earlier show? In an interview with Piers Morgan earlier this year, Fallon said that while he would not turn down the job were it offered, he did not consider it a "holy grail."
    There's also the superstition factor. "If there's one thing I've learned from Dave and Conan, it's that hosting this show is a one-way ticket to not hosting 'The Tonight Show,'" Fallon joked.
    The Daily News article is the most high profile press mention of Fallon's possible bid to host "The Tonight Show," although it's been widely expected that NBC has been grooming Fallon for the job. The story could hold special significance to Leno's career: Leno's late manager, Helen Kushnick, forced NBC's hand by planting an anonymously sourced article in The New York Post saying that NBC executives wanted Johnny Carson to leave "The Tonight Show," paving the way for Leno to take Carson's job.

Jimmy Fallon To Replace Jay Leno As 'Tonight Show' Host In 2014? Daily News Says NBC Exploring Option

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information