Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Spike Lee says Tarantino’s ‘Django Unchained’ is ‘disrespectful’ to his ancestors

Default Spike Lee says Tarantino’s ‘Django Unchained’ is ‘disrespectful’ to his ancestors

'It's disrespectful to my ancestors': Spike Lee hits out at Quentin Tarantino as he calls Django Unchained insulting... even though he's not watched the movie

It's set to be one of the biggest films to hit screens this Christmas but it seems as though Django Unchained has so far received a mixed reception.

Not impressed with Quentin Tarantino's latest installment Spike Lee has deemed the film 'disrespectful'.

Reigniting his feud with Tarantino despite the fact he hasn't even seen the movie, Lee, 55, blasted the feature for insulting his 'ancestors'.

Unimpressed: Spike Lee has hit out at Quentin Tarantino's movie Django Unchained deeming it 'disrespectful'

'I'm not seeing it': Despite having plans not to see the film, which stars Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio, Spike made his feelings bout the feature clear

Speaking to VIBE TV when asked about his opinion on the film, Spike said: 'I can't speak on it because I'm not gonna see it. I'm not seeing it.'

Taking a moment to clarify why he would not be watching Django Unchained, he continued: 'I think for me all I'm going to say is it would be disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film.

'That's the only thing I'm going to say. I can't disrespect my ancestors - I can't do it. Now that's me I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself.'

Taking to the Twittersphere to voice his views further, Spike eluded that Tarantino had failed to depict American slavery correctly.

On Friday he wrote: 'American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.'

Taking it to the Twittersphere: Spike further argued his point via the social networking site

Strong opinion: The 55-year-old director has hit out at Tarantino's films before because of his use of the n-word

In 1997 Spike criticized Quentin for his use of the n-word in the film Jackie Brown where the controversial director allowed it to be used 38 times.

Talking about Tarantino's debatable choice 15 years ago Lee apparently said: 'I have a definite problem with Quentin Tarantino’s excessive use of the n-word.

'And let the record show that I never said that he can not use that word — I’ve used that word in many of my films — but I think something is wrong with him.

'You look at Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and even that thing with Christian Slater, True Romance. It’s just the n-word, the n-word, the n-word.

'He says he grew up on Blaxploitation films and that they were his favorite films but he has to realize that those films do not speak to the breadth of the entire African-American experience.'

Controversial: The film which sees a freed slave become a bounty hunter opens in cinemas on Christmas Day

Hitting back in a 2003 interview with Playboy, Quentin defended his work and said: 'I am working with The English language. I am not just a film director who shoots movies. I’m an artist, and good, bad, or indifferent, I’m coming from that place. All my choices, the way I live my life, are about that.'
    However Spike Lee isn't the only person who has not received the film well.
    Tarantino is known for walking a risky line in dealing with race in his films, and completely flies past it when it comes to the use of violence.

And Django Unchained is no different, and the setting of the slave-filled American south in the years prior to the Civil War has many crying foul at his use of racial slurs.

The film, which will open on Christmas Day, focuses on the partnership between a former slave (played by Jamie Foxx) who becomes a bounty hunter who enjoys killing white people in his pursuit for his captured wife.

Actor and Director Tyler Perry said: 'It is Quentin's re-creation; this character doesn't exist. There's nobody that is documented to do what Jamie's character has done at the time.'

"Tăo estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Fuck off has-been.
    Kittylady likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by dowcat View Post

Actor and Director Tyler Perry said: 'It is Quentin's re-creation; this character doesn't exist. There's nobody that is documented to do what Jamie's character has done at the time.'

And Jewish partisans didn't really kill Hitler, as was depicted in "Inglourious Basterds".

And it's also probably true that nobody ever walked into a bar and single handedly killed 100 armed mobsters, like in "Kill Bill".

Just for all the people who thought Quentin Tarantino was a documentarian or something.

Offense is like oxygen to some people.
    Bluebonnet, JWL, Esco and 8 others like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    [/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

And Jewish partisans didn't really kill Hitler, as was depicted in "Inglourious Basterds".

And it's also probably true that nobody ever walked into a bar and single handedly killed 100 armed mobsters, like in "Kill Bill".

Just for all the people who thought Quentin Tarantino was a documentarian or something.
    Exactly! It's a revenge film. I don't believe Tarantino has ever tried to claim it's a biographical/historical film. Tyler Perry needs to keep focusing on making realistic movies about creepy grandmothers built like linebackers.

I think the problem is that Spike Lee wants to be Quintin...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Spike Lee has a big mouth yet never says anything worth hearing.
    Honeythorn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Offense is like oxygen to some people
    Yup. Spike is permanently offended at everything

Spike Lee looks like a Jiminy Cricket and needs to just STFU!!!! I hate the shit that comes out of his mouth. Oh and his movies suck ass!

I'm not a fan of either one, really. Although I prefer Spike's movies, comments like this annoy me. I'd respect his opinion more if he went to go see the movie and then passed judgment.
    Novice likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I'd respect his opinion more if he went to go see the movie and then passed judgment.
    Exactly. And I like his movies, "Crooklyn" especially. But maybe it was the great soundtrack I wore out on cassette.
    BITTER likes this.

Even though Spike Lee bugs me a bit, I will say in his defense that Tarantino does seem a little obsessed with the N-word and Black culture in general.

I think maybe some weird love/hate relationship??
    Callalily likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Esco View Post
    Even though Spike Lee bugs me a bit, I will say in his defense that Tarantino does seem a little obsessed with the N-word and Black culture in general.
    Exactly. In the antebellum south, it was well known that white people would actually refer to someone of color as "that fine African American gentleman." And would go out of their way to ask how they could make their accommodations and work conditions better. And most importantly, what they could do to help preserve the black family in general. That's the kind of realistic film we need -- and let's not forget lots of Martian interaction. And if it would make Tyler Perry feel any better, all the female characters could be played by dudes -- to give it a more authentic feel.
    Icepik, Lalique, BITTER and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Fuck off has-been.
    Two thumbs up, way up.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I've heard Django Unchained is pretty good and does treat the issue of slavery fairly, but I did like how one critic asked that the real question is, "Would a black filmmaker like Spike Lee be able to get the same movie made with the same cast?" I think the answer is no, because the same movie coming from a black filmmaker would be too controversial. I do think Tarantino is talented, but I'm also uncomfortable at the way he fetishizes both Asian and African-American culture in his movies, especially because so much of his audience is young white men.

In terms of their talent as filmmakers, sorry but I have to go with Spike every time. Both have made some stinkers, but Tarantino has never done a movie that approaches the quality of Do the Right Thing. I would even say that Tarantino could never do a film that's as beautifully and subtly directed as Inside Man. And Spike Lee, who's the second most successful black director ever (after Tyler Perry) still struggles to get his movies made, even after a mainstream huge box office success like Inside Man. Lee couldn't get Inside Man 2 off the ground, but a white director like Tarantino can get an $83 million budget to make a pseudo-Blaxploitation film, so yeah I think Spike is entitled to some bitterness.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information