Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By Grimmlok
  • 4 Post By Grimmlok
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By BITTER

Thread: Oprah Winfrey's not going to bleed money, announces breast cancer scare

Default Oprah Winfrey's not going to bleed money, announces breast cancer scare

Oprah May Stop Printing O Magazine, Had A Breast Cancer Scare: NYT

Oprah May Stop Printing O Magazine, Had A Breast Cancer Scare: NYT

The Huffington Post | By Jack Mirkinson Posted: 11/26/2012 7:59 am EST Updated: 11/26/2012 8:55 pm EST

Oprah, Magazines, Oprah, O Magazine, Oprah OWN, Oprah Breast Cancer, Oprah Breast Cancer Scare, Media News

Oprah had a recent breast cancer scare and may shut down her magazine if it starts losing money, the New York Times revealed on Monday.

The former talk show queen has recently been putting all of her energy into OWN, her cable network. (Among other things, she has launched a partnership with The Huffington Post.) Now, things are looking up at OWN. With ratings climbing, Oprah has taken to saying the network has "made the pivot" to a more successful future.

However, O Magazine has been hit with declines in both circulation and ad sales over the past year -- a consequence of the end of "The Oprah Winfrey Show." Even so, it remains one of the top-selling magazines in the country.

In an interview with the Times, Oprah hinted that she may stop publishing a print magazine if O starts losing money.

"I'm not interested, you know, in bleeding money," she said.

It's not clear if Oprah would end the magazine altogether, or follow in the footsteps of "Newsweek" and switch to an all-digital edition.

The Times' Christine Haughney also recounted a startling scene from a recent conference that Oprah attended. Haughney wrote on Monday that she announced out of nowhere that she had had a breast cancer scare a week before, though it turned out to be a false alarm. Her best friend, "CBS This Morning" host Gayle King, was in the crowd and had not heard the news before.

From the Times:

When Ms. King grew visibly upset, one woman chided Ms. Winfrey for not telling her friend ahead of time and ordered her to apologize to Ms. King -- all before an audience. Ms. Winfrey also did not hide her dissatisfaction with the criticism she had faced. She told the audience, "the press tried to cut me off at the knees" in its coverage of OWN, and bristled at questions about the challenges her magazine confronted.

Oprah had not mentioned the breast cancer scare publicly before.

It's understandable that the media mogul would be less than pleased with some of the coverage of OWN. Her surprise at the vehemence of some of the reporting on the network's well-documented struggles has been a running theme of her interviews over the past year. During an interview with CBS News in August, for instance, she could recount specific headlines that had stung her, saying the negative coverage had "knocked me off center." Oprah even made a two-part TV show about the building of OWN, in which the slings and arrows of the press featured prominently.
    Queen Oprah's starting to faulter!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

She's gotten everything she's ever wanted for so long she's forgotten what it's like to be told "No."

I was forced to watch Orpah's fucktarded "favorite things" special after The Walking Dead a week or 2 back by the BF's sister who's a huge fan. The entire thing was 50% stupid shit about how wonderful fucking Orpah was, and 50% a corporate commercial for shit they wanted to push at xmas like TV's, tablets and movies that just happened to come out right then. Bitch is so far up her own ass it's RIDICULOUS. How can the items she throws at screaming women be her "favorite things" when she's introduced to them FOR THE FIRST TIME by her own staff who hunt for these things specifically for the show? Favorite things kind of denotes that Orpah enjoys these products a number of times but that's not the case. The staff goes out and collects things they think Orpah might like and anything she approves of upon immediately seeing it when presented with a table full of these items is suddenly a "favorite thing". It's so fucking stupid.

She has all her little minions scurrying around and terrified of her, each of them licking her ass and telling her how wonderful one item is and if she dislikes it upon introduction to it, how awful it is, really, they thought so all along.

A crass, disgusting display of gross consumerism.
    HWBL, Brookie, piperdiva and 3 others like this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Now,Grimm! You are just mad because she has more money than you.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No, I'm mad because she's filthy rich but totally obtuse and lacks the self awareness to realize how fucking tacky she is. It's a goddamned waste of money.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, I'm mad because she's filthy rich but totally obtuse and lacks the self awareness to realize how fucking tacky she is. It's a goddamned waste of money.
    Yep, I also had and have many issues with this megalomaniacal twat: My issue with this celebrity...
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I loved watching her show 20 years ago, before she got so famous and snooty.
    Coffee is my happy drug

what he said^especially the part in bold
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

She's gotten everything she's ever wanted for so long she's forgotten what it's like to be told "No."

I was forced to watch Orpah's fucktarded "favorite things" special after The Walking Dead a week or 2 back by the BF's sister who's a huge fan.
    Congratulations, Grimmlok. You know your relationship is solid when you are willing to endure an Oprah favorite things special so that you don't upset his sister.
    sluce and olivia like this.

I'm not interested, you know, in bleeding money," she said.
    One wouldn't know that, based on that electronic hemmorhage known as The Oprah Winfrey Network.

She was always one to brag about her humble beginnings and how they have helped her to stay grounded; personally I don't see it. Especially when she does those "Favorite Things" specials. So self-indulgent.
    Air Quotes and witchcurlgirl like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Thread Information