Thread: Deborah Raffin, Actress and Audio-Book Entrepreneur, dies at 59

Default Deborah Raffin, Actress and Audio-Book Entrepreneur, dies at 59

Actress Deborah Raffin, who went on to found a profitable audio-book company, died Wednesday after a battle with leukemia, the Los Angeles Times reports. She was 59.

Raffin's brother William told the Times that she had been diagnosed with the disease approximately a year ago. She died at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

The Los Angeles native landed early parts in the 1973 film "40 Carats" and in 1975's "Once Is Not Enough," adapted from the steamy Jacqueline Susann novel. In the 1980s, she became something of a TV-movie staple appearing in such fare as "Mind Over Murder," "Willa" and "For the Love of It."

She also starred in a short-lived TV series based on the Goldie Hawn/Chevy Chase film "Foul Play," assuming Hawn's role of Gloria Mundy.

Raffin and her husband, producer Michael Viner, launched the audio-book company Dove Books-on-Tape in the mid-'80s, publishing a profitable mix of titles that included Sidney Sheldon's "The Naked Face" and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time."

Viner and Raffin, who had one child together, divorced in 2005. Viner died in 2009.
    In later years, Raffin had a recurring role on the WB drama "7th Heaven" and appeared in three episodes of ABC Family's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager."

I will never forget those two movies as long as I live. If Once Is Not Enough is out on video you have to find a way to see it. The the most perfect piece of trash melodrama.

Deborah Raffin, Actress and Audio-Book Entrepreneur, dies at 59 - Yahoo! TV

I remember her from years ago, and thinking she was so pretty. And 59 is too young - because I'M 59.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

I remember her as well. 59 is too young. RIP

This is so sad! Most people survive leukemia now. She must have had a agressive form. So awful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So young, so sad. I first saw her opposite the then still gorgeous Joseph Bottoms in The Dove. Then later in Haywire, the Brooke Hayward story, but after that I never saw her in anything again.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Sad. She was the queen of the Lifetime movies, before there was a Lifetime network.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thread Information