Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ashley Judd "Honored" By Buzz About Possible 2014 Senate Campaign

fgg

Default Ashley Judd "Honored" By Buzz About Possible 2014 Senate Campaign

Exclusive: Ashley Judd "Honored" By Buzz About Possible 2014 Senate Campaign

Hold your horses, Kentucky Democrats: Ashley Judd isn't ready to jump into your state's 2014 Senate race just yet.

On Nov. 8, Louisville paper The Courier-Journal reported that Judd's name was being bandied about by local politicians as a possible challenger to Republican Senator Mitch McConnell, who is currently the longest-serving U.S. Senator in the Bluegrass state's history.

Rep. John Yarmuth, of Kentucky's 3rd district, is one such Judd supporter, claiming her campaign against the D.C. heavy-hitter could become the "premiere race in the country."

"If you had an Ashley Judd-McConnell race, I think it would be as high-profile a race as [Massachusetts'] Elizabeth Warren and Scott Brown," Yarmuth told the paper.

Despite the public support she's received, Kentucky native Judd isn't setting up any exploratory committees just yet.

"I cherish Kentucky, heart and soul, and while I'm very honored by the consideration, we have just finished an election, so let's focus on coming together to keep moving America's families, and especially our kids, forward," Judd told Us Weekly in a statement Wednesday.

Regardless of whether or not she ends up running against their candidate, McConnell's team says they appreciate Judd's passion for politics in general.

"Senator McConnell and his wife are big fans of Ashley Judd's movies and appreciate her energy, particularly when it comes to getting young people engaged in the political process," the Senator's campaign manager, Jesse Benton, told Us.

Ashley Judd "Honored" By Buzz About Possible 2014 Senate Campaign - UsMagazine.com

i really hope this happens and i hope the race gets really dirty & negative.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

She'll never make it. Her head will spin around on teevee, or something.
    greysfang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    She'll never make it. Her head will spin around on teevee, or something.
    Ashley Judd could do circles around Mitch McConnell (as long as Dario is driving).

The other senators would hate her!! She'd never take a back seat and be the junior senator from Kentucky. (Doesn't she live near Winona in Nashville though?) It would be so much fun to watch, I hope she runs!

They'd probably nickname her SuperCunt if she got elected.

Now I kind of want this to happen too.

Hell NO. I live way too close to Kentucky for this nonsense.

And how the hell would she hack it as a politician? She can't handle it when people point out the bags under her eyes. Delusions of grandeur: Ashley Judd is doing it right.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

She does currently live in Tennessee, but getting Kentucky residency is really easy. She could do that in just a few months...and since she grew up in Kentucky and has that as her "home" she could easily transition back into it. She is a huge UK Basketball fan, attends almost all televised games and has even traveled with the team (this is a huge plus for KY folks who love, love, love KY Basketball). I remember seeing a picture of her wearing nothing but a UK jersey...as a fundraiser for some Univ of KY charity or something. Anyway, her biggest issue is not name recognition or the fact that she lives currently in Tennessee, its that she is anti-coal....big time. She has led protests on the Kentucky state capitol agaist mountain top removal (a form of coal mining where they just blast off the mountain tops and get all the coal out)...that protests will not play well in the large coal mining sections of the state...including much of eastern KY and a lot of western Kentucky. She could probably get a lot of votes in the center of the state, but not much in the wings. Personally, I wish someone would run against Mitch McConnell...he is the biggest drag on real progress in this country and has been for years. If Judd enters the race, she better be ready to rumble....cause Mitch does not play nice when running for reelection...or any time for that matter.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Mitch is a Bitch, that's for sure.

democrat? i thought for sure this bitch would be a republican.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Anyway, her biggest issue is not name recognition or the fact that she lives currently in Tennessee, its that she is anti-coal....big time. She has led protests on the Kentucky state capitol against mountain top removal (a form of coal mining where they just blast off the mountain tops and get all the coal out)...that protests will not play well in the large coal mining sections of the state...including much of eastern KY and a lot of western Kentucky. She could probably get a lot of votes in the center of the state, but not much in the wings.
    That's really interesting, I didn't realize she was anti-coal, that should put a damper on her candidacy (that and her being crazy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Personally, I wish someone would run against Mitch McConnell...he is the biggest drag on real progress in this country and has been for years. If Judd enters the race, she better be ready to rumble....cause Mitch does not play nice when running for reelection...or any time for that matter.
    Which is why it would be great if they could run a viable candidate that could really challenge him. If we're going with celebrities, isn't George Clooney from Kentucky? How about one of those former IK basketball stars, couldn't one of them step up? If they actually run Ashley Judd, I think Senator McConnell can just sit back and just enjoy the show until he gets re-elected.

I'm not sure she is completely anti-coal, but she is adamantly opposed to mountain top removal...there is a small, but distinct difference. If she can play it that she loves the coal miner, but hates the coal operators who take all that coal cash out of the mountains, then she might have a chance. But she would have to start working on that now. Also, when/if she relocated to Kentucky, she would have to move to a mountain, coal producing county...that would speak volumns to those folks.

George Clooney's family lives in Kentucky, but, if I recall correctly, his father ran for office years ago and was beaten terribly...because he was seen as too liberal. George has the same issue...he is just too out there on the liberal end to win a state election in Kentucky, which in the last election turned 90% red at the federal level (with only Yarmuth being a democrat at the fed level and he is in progressive Louisville). I'm not sure they have a viable candidate to run against Mitch...and I'm not sure Judd is either. It'll be an interesting fight if it happens...and could be entertaining if nothing else.

Srsly? Nobody would vote for Ashley Judd, she's too much of a hose beast
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I hope she does it!!!

Think of the avatars we'd get!

I know what picture should go straight onto her first campaign flyers.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I bet this twat would be Sarah Palin 2.0.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

fgg

Source: Ashley Judd moving forward with run for Mitch McConnell's Senate seat in Kentucky

Ashley Judd has yet to officially announce her political aspirations, but a source with intimate knowledge of the situation tells FOX411's Pop Tarts column the actress is preparing herself to challenge Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell for his Kentucky seat in 2014.

"At least in Ashley's mind, it is happening," said the insider. "She has devoted herself to many important causes and stepped away from the Hollywood spotlight so this seems like the logical next step. I don't know if she will be successful, but her heart is in the right place."

COMMENT ON OUR FACEBOOK>>

Judd, 44, has reportedly been meeting with well-financed Democratic donors, and last week ventured to Washington D.C for more public engagements.According to Don Peebles, Chairman and CEO of The Peebles Corporation, a member of President Obama's National Finance Committee, and Vice-Chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, a Judd run is likely much more than a Hollywood fantasy.

"There looks to be a lot of noise around her running and she's been active in commenting on politics of the day so it is certainly possible," he said. "Senate Minority Leader McConnell's approval ratings are low, and a lot of reports show that he is vulnerable to a challenge. While Kentucky leans right, it is not as conservative as most of its neighbors and the voters of Kentucky may be looking to send a message that they don't feel fairly represented by Minority Leader McConnell."

So is Judd's move from Hollywood star to thoughtful humanitarian impressive enough for Kentuckians to take her seriously?

"Sadly, Hollywood celebrities often confuse the characters they play with their own selves and mistakenly assume they know something. They usually don't. If she runs, it should be both a plus and a minus to Democrats," surmised Dan Gainor, VP of Business and Culture at the Media Research Institute. "She has name recognition and that's always good. She is well known and will get lots of money, and that could make it close. Or maybe the people of the state will laugh at her and it will be a huge embarrassment to the left. We can always hope sanity will prevail."

Yet others see Judd as an asset to the Democratic Party with the chops to offer up a fair fight.

"Ashley would add enormously to issues confronting Americans, especially women. She grew up in a home headed by a single mother and through hard work and sacrifice, she pulled herself up, graduated from college and went on to have a successful career," said D.C-based attorney and political advisor, Margaret Cone. "As a favorite daughter from the state of Kentucky and with her ability to fund raise, she could give Senator McConnell a real run for the seat."

Litigation and crisis communication expert Gene Grabowski of Levick Strategic Communications was left with a positive impression after watching Judd speak before an audience of George Washington University Public Health students last Friday, but noted there is much more to a successful Senate run than giving a good speech.

"She is poised, confident and knows how to tell moving stories about her experiences working with orphans and diseased children in Africa. She will be a very attractive candidate in a primary election and will have no problem raising money," he anticipated. "Ms. Judd is coy about the issue of whether she will run, but she is obviously infatuated with the idea and probably will pursue the idea. In the short run, she will be a plus for Democrats. In the longer run however, she will be extremely vulnerable in a general election facing a veteran Republican who knows the issues inside and out."

There is also some debate as to whether Judd's status as a screen siren, one who has repeatedly flashed her flesh and romped around in the bedroom for art's sake, will haunt her. In 1996's "Norma Jean and Marilyn," and 1999's "Eye of the Beholder," Judd went full-frontal and bared her backside, she went topless and bottomless in 1999's "Double Jeopardy" exposed her breasts in 1996's "Normal Life" and performed a lesbian sex scene in 2002's "Frida."

"Of course every movie and TV appearance she has ever made will be analyzed for clips to use against her. A conservative state won't like a senator who has gone naked in front of millions of people," Gainor observed. "America has a celebrity culture. We pay too much attention to them, from Honey Boo Boo to Dennis Rodman. We also tend to forgive their idiocy, and that's Judd's only real hope of getting elected."

However, Peebles pointed out that Judd's raunchy movies have all been seen so there is "no shock factor like there is with revealing a secret or scandal."

"Character attacks are entrenched as part of the political process these days so I don't think it will be unexpected. Presumably she would be ready for any attack on this matter," he said. "And from Arnold Schwarzenegger to Jesse Ventura to Al Franken, folks that enter public service with a celebrity status have had success. Many people feel connected to these folks because they've followed their careers or appreciate their talents and it never hurts to be a known quantity before entering a race."

Grabowski cautioned that if Judd does throw her hat in the Senate ring, she'll find it much more challenging than memorizing a movie script.

"She will have a steep learning curve. One major stumbling block for Ms. Judd will be selecting the right people to guide her through the political and communications process. Right now, her handlers are relatively inexperienced publicists and friends," he added. "She, and the Democratic Party, will have to ensure that she has far more experienced and capable advisors as soon as possible because she is being observed carefully right now to see if she has the right stuff to run for office."

A rep for Judd did not respond to a request for comment.

Source: Ashley Judd moving forward with run for Senate - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information