Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Brooke Burke diagnosed with thyroid cancer

Default Brooke Burke diagnosed with thyroid cancer

"Dancing" co-host Brooke Burke has thyroid cancer

Host Brooke Burke-Charvet, of the upcoming reality series ''Dancing with the Stars: All Stars'' and cast member Helio Castroneves speak during a panel discussion at the Disney-ABC Television Group portion of the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California July 27, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Fred Prouser

LOS ANGELES | Thu Nov 8, 2012 6:42pm EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Dancing with the Stars" co-host Brooke Burke said on Thursday that she has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and will need surgery.

The television presenter and model said in a three-minute video posted on the website Modernmom.com that she will need her thyroid removed.

"I need to have thyroid surgery and a thyroidectomy, which means I'm going to have a nice, big scar right here on neck," Burke said, drawing a finger across her throat.

Burke, a former winner of ABC's celebrity ballroom dancing competition, said she had a biopsy in July, but it had taken her months to go public with the results.

"I'm ready to deal with it, and I'm going to be fine," she said.

There was no word on when the surgery would take place, but Burke's publicist said her work schedule for "Dancing with the Stars" would not be affected.

Burke, 47, said in July that her doctor suggested she undergo a thyroid ultrasound after he felt a lump in her neck during a routine physical.

The thyroid is a gland in the neck that produces hormones that regulate vital body functions, such as heart rate and blood pressure.

Burke's co-host Tom Bergeron said on Thursday during an appearance on the CBS chat show "The Talk" that he had known about her condition for several months. "We are all there with her," he said.

"I've known about this for a few months ... I have had experience with this in my family. You never want to hear the word cancer. But thyroid cancer is one of the most treatable cancers. It has an incredibly high success rate," he said.

(Reporting By Eric Kelsey; Editing by Jill Serjeant)
    Dancing co-host Brooke Burke has thyroid cancer | Reuters
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Damn that really sucks. I hope she beats it. Side note: she's 47??? wow.

I know. That is the thing that stood out to me, as well. I had no clue she was 47. I figured she was around 35. Her hubby is quite a bit younger then I am guessing.

I wish her well!

Edit:

I just looked it up. Her hubby, David Charvet, is 40. I didn't think he was that age, either. Hmmm...learn something new every day.

She's 41 - born in 1971, according to the Associated Press, IMDB, and Wikipedia.
    mtlebay likes this.

Well,...that makes more sense.

Poor her! Good luck Brooke!
    Go Habs Go!!

Eh, it's probably the very best cancer to be diagnosed with. I've had thyroid cancer and it was a pain in the ass for a few months. The 5 year survival rate is actually 105%. They think that getting plugged into the medical system (because of the diagnosis) actually improves people's health. It will suck to go through surgery and radioactive iodine but the chance of this being any more than that is incredibly low.

I hope she has a speedy recovery.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Glad your OK Bella... I will say I've had two friends with thyroid cancer & both have had successful recoveries.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

My cousins wife had thyroid cancer. The radioactive iodine thing was weird. No one could be in the house with her after she had her treatment. Just for the night and then they had to have limited contact with her for a few days. I had no clue about that. She's fully recovered and fine now. Glad you're cancer free, Bella.

I get nervous with this sort of thing. I have a thyroid nodule and even though I get it checked every couple of years, sometimes I just panic over it.

My mom had this right after I was born, so almost 30 years ago and she said it was difficult because it was so soon after giving birth to me but everything went well and she takes her Thyroid meds and is doing great.

My older cat had hyperthyroid so I took her to Penn Veterinary school to have thyroid radiotherapy. She had to stay at the hospital for a few days because her litter would be radioactive! Then I had to limit contact with her for awhile (which wasn't easy as she's a big lap cat!) and not let her around children or pregnant women. I was a bit stressed by the whole thing but Evvie went through it just fine and lived to a ripe old age of 20.

Bronze Member

Congratulations, Bellatheball!

I've got Hypothyroidism and had a partial thyroidectomy when I was about 17 years old. Thyroid cancer runs in my family so I'm high risk for developing it later in life but the doc did say that it was great we caught my condition so early on. Since then we've been on a preventive track to keep it at bay. I remember my Mom freaking out when we did my first biopsies because her father died from it a few years before that.

One thing I will say is it's not this giant scar across your throat. Mine is barely noticeable now that I forget about it until someone brings it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I am positive that she will get through this

My sister had thyroid cancer and survived it. The treatment sucked, but like Bella said, it is probably the least evil of all the cancers to have.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information