Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: According to Sir Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono did NOT Break Up the Beatles....

Default According to Sir Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono did NOT Break Up the Beatles....

News/

Paul McCartney: Yoko Ono Did Not Break Up Beatles

by Josh Grossberg Today 8:13 AM PDT

Jeff Kravitz/Getty Images
    If you believe Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono was the not the cause of the Beatles' breakup more than four decades ago.
    In an interview with famed British journalist David Frost set for broadcast on Al Jazeera English next month, Macca makes it clear that in his view, the band was already on a long and winding road to splitsville before John Lennon's widow even came on the scene.
    "She certainly didn't break the group up, the group was breaking up," the Guardian quotes the 70-year-old McCartney as saying about the moptops' 1970 demise.

Of course, that line of thinking isn't exactly shared by Beatles fans, many of whom assert that once Yoko and John fell in love, that marked the beginning of the end for the Fab Four as Lennon wanted to strike out on his own. The singer-songwriter would subsequently record his 1970 debut solo album, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.
    But according to Paul—who once chafed at Ono's presence in the recording studio during the Beatles' final years—the Japanese artist's influence opened Lennon up to the avant garde and new musical paths without which he would never have penned songs like "Imagine."
    "I don't think he would have done that without Yoko, so I don't think you can blame her for anything. When Yoko came along, part of her attraction was her avant garde side, her view of things, so she showed him another way to be, which was very attractive to him," added McCartney. "So it was time for John to leave, he was definitely going to leave."
    Imagine that.
    If anything, the "Get Back" singer chalked up much of the divisions that erupted within the Beatles to talent agent Allen Klein, who took over running the group's business affairs after their original manager, Brian Epstein, died in 1967.
    "I was fighting against the other three guys who'd been my lifelong soul buddies," noted McCartney. "I said I wanted to fight Klein."
    We're glad he set the record straight on an important piece of pop history.

Paul Mccartney Yoko Ono Did Not Break Up Beatles | E! Online

oh paul, you're going to upset so many people with this. if they can't blame the nasty woman they will freak. it's like the courtney killed kurt fantasy, it's always those evil womens who are the downfall of those helpless mens. In yoko's case it went double, 'cause there was a dollop of racism thrown in for so many who needed to blame her at the time.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

But he waited 40 years to exonerate her? Not buying it.
    rollo likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    oh paul, you're going to upset so many people with this. if they can't blame the nasty woman they will freak. it's like the courtney killed kurt fantasy, it's always those evil womens who are the downfall of those helpless mens. In yoko's case it went double, 'cause there was a dollop of racism thrown in for so many who needed to blame her at the time.
    Totally agree about how some idiot Beatles fans have always regarded Yoko, and it's great that Paul said this (at last! wish he'd done it thirty years ago...) I do think he's glossing over things a bit, and that he disliked Yoko--and was jealous of her--more than he will ever be willing to say. It's cool though.

But comparing Courtney/Kurt to Yoko/John is like apples and oranges. And the main difference is that Courtney pretty much IS evil...so there's not really much fantasizing there . She's always been a lying, thieving, narcissistic junkie. Sure she didn't kill Kurt, but I can't blame anyone for thinking she might have; she sure has fed off his corpse all these years.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

This is not news to anyone who's read/watched a Paul McCartney interview in the past twenty years.

I remember a few years ago he was on Nightline and Cynthia McFadden ended the interview by asking, "I always wanted to know, did Yoko break up the Beatles?" And he said, "No. The Beatles broke up the Beatles."
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I don't buy Yoko being the reason the Beatles broke up. It would have happened regardless.

But I do believe Courtney was involved in Kurt's death.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Yoko Ono sang like a flock of macaws on meth getting sucked into a jet engine.

Lennon had to be REALLY IN LOVE to think that that crap sounded good and that the rest of the world needed to hear it. I'm not saying it broke up the Beatles - just our ear drums.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yoko Ono sang like a flock of macaws on meth getting sucked into a jet engine.

Lennon had to be REALLY IN LOVE to think that that crap sounded good and that the rest of the world needed to hear it. I'm not saying it broke up the Beatles - just our ear drums.
    And them posing nude on that album cover? Jeez! (I won't post it since I'm at work.) But this picture always disgusted me. He looks like a chimp hanging on for dear life and she's so passive.

I've always kind of liked that photo, they look serene and in love.
    Sassiness likes this.

Gross. I hate it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Even John said something like 'we looked like a couple of slightly overweight ex-junkies' (with regard to the hairy nude pics.)

I was pretty little when that cover was out. I thought it was great I was seeing a butt! lol
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    This is not news to anyone who's read/watched a Paul McCartney interview in the past twenty years.

I remember a few years ago he was on Nightline and Cynthia McFadden ended the interview by asking, "I always wanted to know, did Yoko break up the Beatles?" And he said, "No. The Beatles broke up the Beatles."
    That's right. Paul has been saying this all along.

And it's not surprising that the Beatles broke it. They needed to pursue individual projects.
    Sassiness likes this.

Bronze Member

There's a book called Fire and Rain : the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY and the lost story of 1970 by David Brown. Couldn't put it down. And who knew Carol King and James Taylor were an item back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    And them posing nude on that album cover? Jeez! (I won't post it since I'm at work.) But this picture always disgusted me. He looks like a chimp hanging on for dear life and she's so passive.
    Lennon had mommy issues and she filled that void. That's what the pic always said to me. He's all naked and fetal. She's...well it's either serene or indifferent, but definitely the one in control.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information