Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Prince Guillaume marries Countess Stephanie de Lannoy in Luxembourg

Default Prince Guillaume marries Countess Stephanie de Lannoy in Luxembourg

The 500,000 euro wedding: Belgian countess shimmers in breathtaking lace dress as she marries heir to the Luxembourg throne in lavish ceremony

By Paul Milligan

PUBLISHED: 14:45, 20 October 2012 | UPDATED: 14:45, 20 October 2012

One of the biggest days in Luxembourg's not hugely-illustrious history has finally arrived.

Earlier today the wedding of Prince Guillaume, the heir to the throne - the grand duke-to-be - and Belgian Countess Stephanie de Lannoy took place at the Cathedral of our Lady of Luxembourg.

A huge guest list of foreign royal families and dignitaries filled the church to watch the ceremony in the tiny (but very wealthy) country.

Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg and Crown Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg exchanging their vows

The ceremony took place at the Cathedral of our Lady of Luxembourg

Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg walks down the aisle with her brother Count Jehan de Lannoy

Accompanied by her father, Count Phillipe de Lannoy, the 28-year-old bride, wore an Elie Saab dress, with a four-metre (13 feet) train as walked down the aisle.

The dress featured three-quarter length sleeves and a silk tulle veil, and was also adorned with a silver floral motif.

The ceremony, which was conducted in a mixture of French and English, featured a minute's silence for Stephanie's late mother Countess Alix de Lannoy.

The two-day wedding celebrations cost an estimated 500,000 euros (paid by the Luxembourg taxpayer), and included free concerts, street shows and a giant fireworks display.

The guest list for the religious ceremony included kings, queens, princes and princesses from European countries including, among others, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Lichtenstein, Denmark, the Netherlands, Romania and Britain, which sent Prince Edward, Queen Elizabeth's youngest child, and his wife, Sophie.

The look of love: The newly-married couple smile and wave to an adoring crowd

The princess, seen here with her brother, just before entering the Cathedral for the service

Princess Stephanie was given away by her brother Count Jehan de Lannoy

The princess looked happy and relaxed as she made her way to the service

Prince Guillaume, 30, and Stephanie de Lannoy, 28, are hugely popular in their country and were seen recently in London, enjoying the 2012 Olympics.

Guillaume is a lieutenant colonel in the Luxembourg army (a force of 900 soldiers), and has been engaged in humanitarian work in other countries, including Nepal.

His bride plays piano and violin, swims, skis, and says she reads three books at a time.

In the language department, she already speaks French and German - two of Luxembourg's three official languages - and, perhaps more importantly, is studying the third, which is called Luxembourgish.

She plans to renounce her Belgian citizenship in order to become, eventually, Luxembourg's grand duchess.

Stephanie and Prince Guillaume wave to the crowd from the balcony after the wedding ceremony

Luxembourg's Prince Guillaume and Countess Stephanie kiss on the balcony of the Royal Palace after their wedding

(L-R) Prince Felix, Prince Henri, Stephanie, Prince Guillaume, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Alexandra wave to the crowd

Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg is the last hereditary Prince in Europe to get married

Luxembourg is a linguistically complicated country, a reflection of its complicated past. It began as a Roman fortress. It has, at one time or another, fallen under the control of Spain, France and Austria.

In 1839, it gained its independence from the Netherlands, but lost more than half its territory to Belgium, which now has a province of the same name.

In the 20th century, Germany swept through Luxembourg twice despite its protestations of neutrality.

Luxembourg, an important financial centre and home to the world's largest steel manufacturer, continues to prosper despite Europe's economic trouble.

The country has the second-highest gross domestic product per capita in the world, more than £50,000 ($80,000) - though its population of about 510,000 people lost the Number one spot to Qatar. The capital city has 80,000 inhabitants and 120,000 jobs.

For that reason, more than 43 per cent of the people in Luxembourg are foreign nationals, compared to a European Union average of 6.4 per cent.

Stephanie de Lannoy and her brother Count Jehan de Lannoy greet Most Reverend Jean-Claude Hollerich, Archbishop of Luxembourg as they arrive

A close-up view of Stephanie's hair and veil

Stephanie's dress was designed by Elie Saab and featured a 4-metre (13 feet) train

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Sophie, Countess of Wessex were present to represent the British royal family. Sophie wore a bespoke hat by millinar Jane Taylor featuring black pheasant feathers

Crown Prince Felipe of Spain and Princess Letizia of Spain attending the wedding ceremony

L-R: Princess Caroline of Monaco and Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco arrive at the Cathedral

The celebrations for the wedding lasted two days and costs half a million Euro

Crown Prince Guillaume is 30-years-old, with his bride, who is two years younger at 28

The new couple listen intently during the wedding ceremony

Read more: Prince Guillaume marries Countess Stephanie de Lannoy in Luxembourg | Mail Online

The dress is really beautiful. I think she looks particularly lovely when they're walking out of the church under the swords.

Why does Prince Edward have all those medals? Didn't he leave the military early on? Are those all royal medals?
    Last edited by Neptunia; October 20th, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Confused by Edward's medals

Princess Laeticia of Spain is the most beautiful of all the royals. What the heck happened to Prince Felipe.
    I love the red hair and the rich blue fabric that the Moroccan princess is wearing.

Elite Member

i hate the hose but i think all the guests looked great and the brides dress was gorgeous (although shes kind of fug)

Her Mother died of a stroke 2 months ago. What an awful thing. Does anyone know for sure that her brother gave her away because her father is in mourning or is he also infirm?
    She looks just beautiful and seems to be a down to earth sort. They seem very much in love.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

The dress is spectacular. And it has sleeves! Gorgeous hair, veil, tiara combo. LOVE it all. 11/10+

Sophie Wessex could have done better than that mumsy horsey print dress and Edward looks a complete dork. Caroline Monaco/Hanover's dress is terrible, colour, cut, tacky bling trim, everything.
    Waterslide likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Wow, that's a stunning wedding gown. Really beautiful.

I just noticed the Countess of Wessex's dress has horses on it. Ugh. It's a great cut and I was thinking how nice she looks until I saw the print.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Princess Caroline looks like 50 miles of bad road.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Beautiful dress.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Her Mother died of a stroke 2 months ago. What an awful thing. Does anyone know for sure that her brother gave her away because her father is in mourning or is he also infirm?
    She looks just beautiful and seems to be a down to earth sort. They seem very much in love.
    In the article it said:

"Accompanied by her father, Count Phillipe de Lannoy, the 28-year-old bride, wore an Elie Saab dress, with a four-metre (13 feet) train as walked down the aisle."

So I'm thinking maybe her brother just walked her in or they have the photos captioned wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty View Post
    In the article it said:

"Accompanied by her father, Count Phillipe de Lannoy, the 28-year-old bride, wore an Elie Saab dress, with a four-metre (13 feet) train as walked down the aisle."

So I'm thinking maybe her brother just walked her in or they have the photos captioned wrong.
    That must be it. Thanks.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We watched part of it here. The bride is the youngest of 8 children. Her mom and dad differed 20 years in age. Her dad is now 90 and was seated in a wheelchair up front at the altar. Her eldest brother walked her to the altar. Her mom died 7 weeks ago of a stroke aged 70.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    We watched part of it here. The bride is the youngest of 8 children. Her mom and dad differed 20 years in age. Her dad is now 90 and was seated in a wheelchair up front at the altar. Her eldest brother walked her to the altar. Her mom died 7 weeks ago of a stroke aged 70.
    OK, so that was it! Makes sense,because I thought that looked like her brother. None of that was explained! Thanks.

What a beauuutiful and classic dress and veil.

That's a classy dress and classy nuptuals.
    I wonder though, how that veil is fixed in her back hair. It seems to be long and however lightweight, isn't it pulling? I have a problem with ponytail for it pulls and make my scalp hurt, let alone some umpteen-foot veil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information