Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Joaquin Phoenix Slams Academy Awards

Default Joaquin Phoenix Slams Academy Awards

Joaquin Phoenix: Oscars Are 'Bullsh-t' According To 'The Master' Star

Joaquin Phoenix is all but certain to be among the nominees for Best Actor at the 85th annual Academy Awards, but he's not necessarily looking forward to the honor.

"I think it's bulls--t," Phoenix said about the Oscars in a frank, wide-ranging discussion with Elvis Mitchell in the latest Interview magazine. "I think it's total, utter bulls--t, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other ... It's the stupidest thing in the whole world."

Phoenix raced to the front of early Oscar discussion thanks to his startling work in "The Master," Paul Thomas Anderson's epic drama about the duality of man and the origins of a religious movement that's not unlike Scientology. (Phoenix and co-star Philip Seymour Hoffman -- a co-lead in the film, though Hoffman is running in the Best Supporting Actor category -- were honored at the Venice Film Festival for their performances.) The buzz around Phoenix has dimmed in recent weeks, however, with "The Master" struggling to find a theatrical audience and Daniel Day-Lewis' much-ballyhooed turn in "Lincoln" living up to its advanced hype. At the Oscar predictions site GoldDerby.com, only six out of 24 experts still have Phoenix ahead of Day-Lewis on the Best Actor charts.

This isn't the first time Phoenix has been under consideration for an Academy Award. He was nominated in the Supporting Actor category for 2000's "Gladiator," and was among the Best Actor finalists for 2005's "Walk the Line."

"It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when 'Walk the Line' was going through all the awards stuff and all that," Phoenix told Mitchell. "I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it -- and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it -- but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things."

For more on Phoenix, head over to Interview Magazine. "The Master" is out in theaters now; the 85th annual Academy Award nominations are announced on Jan. 10, 2013.
    Joaquin Phoenix: Oscars Are 'Bullsh-t' According To 'The Master' Star
    AgentOrange likes this.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

I was just about to post that .....and a little something for Novice

Thursday, October 18th 2012
    Joaquin Phoenix Hates The Oscars.... And Some Carrots

Joaquin Phoenix is getting Oscar buzz (slap me with a dry carrot the next time I type "Oscar buzz") for his performance as a young Suri Cruise in The Master, but he let everyone know that he's not playing the Oscar game, because it leaves a gross taste of carrot caca in his mouth. During a talk with film critic Elvis Mitchell for Interview (via HuffPo), Elvis brought up the Oscar talk and it made Joaquin get on the floor and heave out pieces of rotten carrot bits. Joaquin was nominated for Walk the Line and he says the entire experience made him want to knee the Oscar trophy in its b-hole. Joaquin and Elvis' Oscar talk went like this:
    MITCHELL: So what are you going to do when they put you on the awards circuit for The Master?
    PHOENIX: You're out of your mind, dude. You're out of touch with what has happened.
    MITCHELL: I think we've established that you're the one who's out of his mind. [Phoenix laughs] You don't think that's going to happen?
    PHOENIX: I'm just saying that I think it's bullshit. I think it's total, utter bullshit, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other . . . It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it—and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it—but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.
    I know how Joaquin feels, because watching I'm Still Here was like going through the most uncomfortable period ever. But that Oscar crap is not that serious! GOOPY Paltrow, Crash, Helen Hunt and Al Pacino (for Scent of the GD Woman) all won Oscars, so it's obviously just one, big long joke. Joaquin doesn't have to get all melodramatic about it. More like JoaQUEEN Phoenix. Joaquin really hates the Oscars, because it's the only time he's forced to take a shower and wash his pits. That's the real reason.
    And speaking of worst-taking carrots, Joaquin needs to stop acting like he wouldn't stick his tongue out if somebody dangled this worst-tasting carrot in front of him:

Yes, Joaquin, you DO want this Carrot.

Posted by: Michael K
    60 comments

Girlfriend PleaseJoaquin Phoenix
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

"I think we've established that you're the one who's out of his mind"

I actually kind of get where Joaquin is coming from and I agree. But then I fell out of love with the Oscars a loooong time ago.
    Callalily likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Yeah, the Oscars are just a circle jerk with couture gowns.
    Callalily, Rusalka and Kat Scorp like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

His performance in 'the master' is phenomenal. As is philip Seymour hoffman's and it's a mystery why he's been put in the best supporting actor category when both of them are very much the stars of the film.

He's totally right about the oscars though, they are full of shit. Everyone's going to say it's sour grapes and that he's an asshole but I think it's great that he's nuts and speaks his mind and doesn't give a shit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I wanted to see The Master, but it went out of my theater, then it came back and when I went to go it was gone again. I am so mad at myself (and the stupid theater). I'm going to see if I can find a cheap theater that's playing it.

I agree and am not surprised he thinks the Oscars are full of shit.

I just hope Satcheen Littlefeather is still available to accept his award for him.
    Sylkyn, Air Quotes and Bluebonnet like this.

I'll be impressed if he turns an Oscar down, and doesn't go the the ceremony, like George C Scott. Otherwise it's all just posturing.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^True. And it's funny, I can't imagine any present day actor having the balls to turn the Oscar down.

I kind of love this crazy bastard. I hope he does get an Oscar that he subsequently turns down.
    AgentOrange likes this.

I don't care what he says. He's in this business to be noticed. He loves it. Even if he turned down an Oscar he'd still be thrilled to win. If he didn't want one, he wouldn't have campaigned for Walk the Line. And fuck him for acting like having to smile and do stupid interviews is as bad as a rotten carrot. And yes the Oscars are prom for celebrities but they're tradition a huge part of pop culture. He's bullshit.

Pretentious jackass.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It sounds to me like he is genuinely uncomfortable thinking that he might win, movies are what they are, not everyone involved needs or wants validation from The Academy in order to be fulfilled by making movies.
    stef and Trekka like this.

I'm ready to give the Oscar to Day-Lewis based just on the previews for Lincoln. The movie itself doesn't look that great but man, DDL gave me fucking chills.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information