Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rollo

Thread: Wyclef Jean’s Perverse Fraud of a ‘Charity’ Is No More

Default Wyclef Jean’s Perverse Fraud of a ‘Charity’ Is No More

Yele Haiti, the self-serving charity that Wyclef Jean founded (with other peoples' money) to burnish his reputation, lay the ground for a self-aggrandizing run at the presidency of Haiti, keep his mistress employed, and pay himself generous performance fees, has finally collapsed under the weight of its own inefficiency and corruption. According to the New York Times, it has effectively ceased operations.

As longtime Gawker readers will recall, Yele Haiti was the beneficiary of a massive flood of donations in the wake of the Haiti earthquake in 2010—more than $16 million in that year alone. All the money brought scrutiny, and in turned out that Wyclef had used the charity to pay himself rent for space in his studio, award himself $100,000 to perform at a Yele Haiti fundraiser, pay $105,000 to his mistress, cancelled one fundraiser because Yele couldn't meet his fee for playing, and was generally incapable of providing the sort of disaster relief Haiti desperately needed in the wake of the earthquake.

Now, the Times' Deborah Sontag reports, the charity has finally called it quits, "leaving a trail of debts, unfinished projects and broken promises."

A New York state attorney general investigation is currently underway into the group's finances, and "has already found financial improprieties," according to Sontag. A forensic audit found that nearly 10% of Yele's income from 2005 to 2009 was improperly funneled to Jean and his friends.
    The forensic audit examined $3 million of the charity's 2005 to 2009 expenses and found $256,580 in illegitimate benefits to Mr. Jean and other Yéle board and staff members as well as improper or potentially improper transactions. These included $24,000 for Mr. Jean's chauffeur services and $30,763 for a private jet that transported Lindsay Lohan from New Jersey to a benefit in Chicago that raised only $66,000.
    Sontag turned up plenty of other examples of Jean's profligacy: $600,000 spent on Yele's Haiti headquarters, which are now abandoned. More than $300,000 on "landscaping." More than $400,000 spent on food and beverages. Hundreds of thousands on projects that simply never happened:
    Some of Yéle's programming money went to projects that never came to fruition: temporary homes for which it prepaid $93,000; a medical center to have been housed in geodesic domes for which it paid $146,000; the revitalization of a plaza in the Cité Soleil slum, where supposed improvements that cost $230,000 are nowhere to be seen.
    If you want to help Haiti, give your money to Partners in Health.

Wyclef Jean's Perverse Fraud of a 'Charity' Is No More

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hmmm. He's got some 'splaining to do.
    Banshee likes this.

Good! I'm still pissed off that I chose to give money to Yele Haiti rather than one of the other organizations, and it probably got wasted on him or his mistress.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

Fuck that son of a bitch.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Hmmm. He's got some 'splaining to do.
    But Brad & Angie endorsed it. Surely there must have been some mistake...

^ He's obviously persuasive and a number of people were fooled. Now he has to come clean and not just forbid journalists to mention it like MALAWI!

ETA: There's nothing wrong with the original premise of helping Haiti.

Sounds like he's corrupt enough to be President....

These are the reasons I do not give money to a charity. EVER! Those "Christian Children Fund" and "Sponser a Child" seem like a money making booming business. Who knows how much of your money is actually being used for something else besides what it's intended for.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^It's quite easy to find out how a charity spends it's money.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information