Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lark Voorhies (Saved by The Bell) has bipolar disorder, “things have traumatized her"

Default Lark Voorhies (Saved by The Bell) has bipolar disorder, “things have traumatized her"

Lark Voorhies from Saved by The Bell has bipolar disorder, “things have traumatized her”

Lark in 2010
    This is a sad story about a former child star who has some pretty serious problems. The part that made me take notice is the fact that Lark Voorhies’ own mother has confirmed her daughter’s diagnosis with People Magazine, so it’s not just speculation based on her behavior. (See: Amanda Bynes, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears.) Lark used to star as Lisa Turtle on “Saved By The Bell,” that teen sitcom which ran from 1989 to 1993. It was after my time in that I was a junior in high school when it came out and it seemed a little goofy to me, but I remember that it was on TV constantly. Lark has had some problems finding her way since her fame has faded, to say the least. The only time we covered her before this was to note that she had had a lot of Botox or surgery in 2009 and was looking like a totally different person. A lot of it was bad makeup, which she seems to have applied herself. Lark’s mom tells People that her daughter has received a bipolar diagnosis and that “there are things which have traumatized her.” That sounds ominous, and I hope she’s ok.
    While most of the cast from Saved by the Bell have remained in the spotlight, Lark Voorhies has largely been out of sight.
    The former teen star, known to a generation of fans as the fashionable Lisa Turtle, denies anything is wrong, but after a bizarre Yahoo! video went viral earlier this year, some questioned whether drugs played a role. Voorhies adamantly denied it. Instead, her mother says, she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
    In a series of interviews with PEOPLE, it was clear something wasn’t right. Voorhies, 38, would frequently stop mid-sentence and stare off, often mumbling to herself or to others who weren’t there.
    “There are things that have traumatized her,” says Tricia, 64, who shares a home with her daughter in Pasadena, Calif. “I care deeply about my daughter and I want her to resume her life.”
    Voorhies says her “over-loving” mother worries about her, but there’s no need. She says she is not sick and keeps busy by working on low-budget indie productions, recording music and self-publishing her own books.
    But what about the vacant stares and rambling moments?
    “I have a strong spiritual sense,” she says. “You caught me in moments of pray [sic].”
    [From People]
    All I can say is that I hope she gets the help she needs. It’s good that she’s living with her mom, and that her mom is motivated to help her. How hard must it be to see your adult child go through mental illness?
    OK Magazine posted this interview with Lark from earlier this year, with Yahoo! Lark seems really nervous and she kind of rambles and has trouble expressing her thoughts. It’s hard to watch.
    Lark in the 90s:

In 2009:

In 2008:

Photo credit: PRPhotos and FameFlynet

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Lark Voohies from Saved by The Bell has bipolar disorder, “things have traumatized her”
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 6th, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Celebitchy needs an editor
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

what has she done to her face? so sad.

Wow that's sad, mental illness is awful. Poor Lark.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I worry about the “There are things that have traumatized her” statement by her mother, people with mental illness are so vulnerable. I'm glad Lark lives with her mother and she has that support.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Question

If she has a legitimate mental illness, why would any doctor (plastic surgeon) operate on her? I thought they screened for that?
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

I am glad it appears she has a mother who recognizes her daughter needs (or needed) help. Hopefully Lark can get the medical help and attention she needs. Mental illness does not have to be a life sentence.

I can't really tell what she had done or not; her face looks so puffy. Not really different perhaps but as if maybe she's on a med that makes her retain water--something more like that.

This article reminds me of a blind item here from a bit ago.

This one: CDAN 05/18/12 Four for Friday--No more please

If that's her, definitely traumatized.
    Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; October 6th, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

its no walk in the park that's for sure. hope she can find stability.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Hope she gets the help she needs for whatever she's been through. I'm glad her mom is around for her.

I think her name is Voorhies - I notice that Celebitchy misspelled it in the article and their link.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Fixed
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I remember reading an article about her in ESSENCE or EBONY where she talked about almost being sexually assaulted by a white guy, apparently a fellow actor, who wanted to see how "hot" black women were in bed. Maybe this was one of the traumatic episodes in her life?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Shes still kinda pretty. She just looks a bit older. Maybe too much makeup?

Gold Member

She looks a shadow of her former self.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Shes still kinda pretty. She just looks a bit older. Maybe too much makeup?

I think it's not too much makeup, it's BAD makeup. but I think there's something more going on that's making her look exceptionally tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Fixed
    thanks Twitchy!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I remember reading an article about her in ESSENCE or EBONY where she talked about almost being sexually assaulted by a white guy, apparently a fellow actor, who wanted to see how "hot" black women were in bed. Maybe this was one of the traumatic episodes in her life?
    That's really awful. It does sound like whatever happened sounds similar to the blind Kathie posted. It was one of the ones that everyone hoped Enty had pulled out of his ass iirc.

Dlisted had a story about her not too long ago and her face looked so different in those pictures, too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information