Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Model Maggie Rizer's Golden Retriever Dies on Airline Flight

fgg

Default Model Maggie Rizer's Golden Retriever Dies on Airline Flight

Maggie Rizer's Golden Retriever Dies on Airline Flight

The model had booked reservations for her two golden retrievers 7-year-old Albert and 2-year-old Beatrice on her flight from New York City to San Francisco through United Airlines's PetSafe program. She knew about the potential dangers of flying with pets, and though Bea had flown without issue in the past, Rizer did more extensive research to make sure she was doing all she could to protect her dogs from harm.

But when Rizer, 34, her husband, Alex Mehran, and their 10-month-old son Zander landed in San Francisco on Sept. 3, they found out one of their family members had been lost along the way: Bea had died.

The golden retriever's passing was inexplicable. Bea was young and had undergone a requisite physical examination and was found to be in perfect health just days before the flight. Golden retrievers don't usually experience problems during air travel.

"We're completely devastated," Rizer tells PEOPLE. "[The airline] didn't even have an excuse."

In a passionate blog post on Rizer's website, Bea Makes Three, she paints a picture of United employees reluctant to admit wrongdoing or share any information about the company's internal investigation.

According to Rizer, her veterinarian performed a full necropsy and determined the cause of death to be heatstroke, "the absolute worst thing I could have imagined happening to her," Rizer says. "She died 30 feet below us, alone and scared. Nobody was there to help her because someone made a mistake."

In a statement, United tells PEOPLE that, "We understand that the loss of a beloved pet is difficult and express our condolences to Ms. Rizer and her family for their loss. After careful review, we found there were no mechanical operational issues with Bea's flight and also determined she was in a temperature-controlled environment for her entire journey. We would like [to] finalize the review but are unable until we receive a copy of the necropsy."

Rizer considered filing a lawsuit but hopes that speaking out about her experience will help inform people about the risks of traveling with a pet in cargo.

"I don't think dogs should be treated like bags," she says. "They're living, breathing creatures and parts of people's families." She adds that she will never fly with her dogs again.

"I'll miss her loving soul," Rizer says of Bea, who used to sit by little Zander and gently lick his face. "She was one of a kind. I've never had a dog like her. You can't replace a dog, especially one like that."

Though Bea won't ever be replaced, Rizer did adopt a rescue dog the day after Bea's death. "I have no idea what he is," she says of the mutt, named Jack. "You just have this hole and you try to fill it and it's impossible to fill."

Maggie Rizer Dog Dies on Plane of Heatstroke : People.com

poor puppy
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

My worst nightmare. Poor dog, only 2 years old. But it's still too hot to fly with dogs right now. The only way around it is if you fly them at night when it's cooler. And even then these heatwaves lately make that difficult.

I've often wished they had an area in the cabin where large dogs (who don't fit in a bag under a seat) could fly with you if you paid extra.
    Fran and Stereo Inferno like this.

that sucks. but i'm not surprised. there's not temperature control in the hold under the plane, so animals often freeze to death or die of heat stroke. when i was first starting to look into moving to new york and flying boris here, there were only two companies that would let me fly with him under the seat in front of me, and my friend, whose mom is a pilot, told me her mother had told her that if she could avoid putting animals in the hold, to do so because airlines can't guarantee your pet will make it and that this is well known.

i don't know why they don't have a special, temperature-controlled part of the plane for larger pets either. it seems cruel.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This is precisely why I'll never fly with my boys. RIP Bea x
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I'm sure they are on the floor! That would be just heartbreaking.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That is sad. And I agree that dogs (nor cats) should not be treated like cargo. They must be so scared down there.
    I have seen in airports, people with little cages with cats in there. I guess it's ok for small animals to take as a carry on? This was in the terminal boarding area. I'm gonna research.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

"You just have this hole and you try to fill it and it's impossible to fill."
    So heartbreaking and so true. How horrible for all of them.
    Honey likes this.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

czb

this is sad but also why i won't fly with my dog. don't want to think about her in cargo like that.

but maggie ain't too slick, if she does sue the airline it will be settled as a nuisance suit and get little press. in california, i don't believe you can sue for more than the $$ value of the dog based on what was paid for it. so the suit will be settled and then go away.

Elite Member

This is why I don't fly my dog inside the USA. There are absolutely no ethical or legal reason for US airlines to give a shit about your animal.

EU carriers (Lufthansa being my favorite) have a "precious cargo" area which is kept in cabin conditions. Stewardesses can even visit the area and check on your dog. I like Lufthansa best because they are very stringent with the owner requirements (extra days food taped to crate and state health certificates) and the protocols for animal handling by baggage handlers.

The US consumers would really be better off if the borders were opened to foreign airlines.
    Kathie_Moffett and Fran like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

^Thank you, that is good to know about Lufthansa. My fiance and I will eventually move to Germany, and we are going to buy a Russian Blue kitten very soon. We were wondering about how it would all work out.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Oh how horrible.

Elite Member

Oh no. How horrible. Poor, poor Bea, RIP.

A friend of mine flew his dog from America to London and I was really worried about her. She was fine but I'm still not sure I'd fly a pet all that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    My worst nightmare. Poor dog, only 2 years old. But it's still too hot to fly with dogs right now. The only way around it is if you fly them at night when it's cooler. And even then these heatwaves lately make that difficult.

I've often wished they had an area in the cabin where large dogs (who don't fit in a bag under a seat) could fly with you if you paid extra.
    I wonder if you could even buy a seat for a large dog, provided other regs were met and you could afford it, of course.

Would be worth it for many people.

Poor Bea!!! That is absolutely heartbreaking. I hope she DOES sue, and wins a shitload of money, because money talks. Getting hit in the wallet might be the only thing that makes airlines like this one get their act together.

So. Why aren't PETA, the Humane Society, et al, agitating like crazy about this?? I've heard horror stories too. I would never fly with a pet if it could not stay in the cabin with me.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

czb

^^^ did you read what i wrote? if the suit is based in california, she CANNOT win a lot of money.

Off topic but does anyone remember Maggie's story from a few years ago? Her alcoholic, gambling stepfather squandered her entire earnings from modeling and all the family money. Maggie is now married to a cute heir to IBM and has a baby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information