Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frockhorror

Thread: Stevie Wonder Apologizes for Comment About "People Who Think They're Gay"

Default Stevie Wonder Apologizes for Comment About "People Who Think They're Gay"

Stevie Wonder is clarifying his previous comment to the Guardian that "some people who think they're gay" are "confused."
    The legendary singer made the statement to the mag in an interview, after he was asked if he was surprised about the media frenzy caused by Frank Ocean's gay revelation.
    "I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused," Wonder said. "People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them."
    On Saturday, Wonder apologized for his comment, telling the Advocate, "I'm sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood."
    "No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music," Wonder went on. "Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I'm not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period."

http://uk.eonline.com/news/342717/st...nk-they-re-gay

I agree with what he is saying.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Stevie Wonder is clarifying his previous comment to the Guardian that "some people who think they're gay" are "confused."

"I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused," Wonder said. "People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them."
    But people who think they're straight never get confused and mistake connection/bond for love? Why would this only apply to gay people? Idiot.

^ Well surely he is saying straight people get confused. He's saying straight people confuse closeness and a connection for love with someone of the same sex and jump to a conclusion they are gay. I'm sure he would also believe that gay people can also experience confusion and translate closeness and a connection for love with someone of the opposite sex.

I'm not agreeing with what he said, just saying how I read it.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    ^ Well surely he is saying straight people get confused. He's saying straight people confuse closeness and a connection for love with someone of the same sex and jump to a conclusion they are gay. I'm sure he would also believe that gay people can also experience confusion and translate closeness and a connection for love with someone of the opposite sex.

I'm not agreeing with what he said, just saying how I read it.
    You're right that if people think they are gay, but are just confusing connection for love, they are of course straight (and confused).

But my beef is that he would target people who identify themselves as gay, and dismiss them with a "you're just confused, dear". Why not target people who identify themselves as straight, and say, "no you're really gay (and confused)".

I really don't think a lot of gay people are confused straight people. If anything there are probably more confused straight people, who are in the closet. (Homophobes, I'm looking at you.)

I'm really a fan of his, and disappointed that he would make such a statement.

The original quote sounds awful, but was it taken out of context or is he just doing some major backpedaling?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

"No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I"
    Errr ... there was that Jesus person ...
    Osakan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frockhorror View Post
    Errr ... there was that Jesus person ...
    Not touching this one.

I believe he meant that people mistake a deep bond with a friend for spillover sexual attraction, when in actual fact its just a DEEP BOND.
    Best friend..anyone?? I'm sure we've all had one of the same sex we got stuck on a couple of times 'If I were gay I would be with you' etc. Until we realise of course.

Thread Information