Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Next Top Model Judge Hospitalized after Twitter Bullying Leads to Suicide Attempt

Default Next Top Model Judge Hospitalized after Twitter Bullying Leads to Suicide Attempt

Next Top Model Judge Hospitalized after Twitter Bullying Leads to Suicide Attempt

Today in horrible, depressing news of how terrible people can be: Australia's Next Top Model judge, anti-bullying campaigner, television presenter, and former model Charlotte Dawson has been hospitalized in Sydney following an apparent suicide attempt that came after weeks of vicious bullying on Twitter. Speaking out against cyber-bullying in the media ironically made Dawson the target of an organized campaign of online harassment. Think hundreds of daily Twitter @ replies like:

• @MsCharlotteD please put your face into a toaster. #diecharlotte
    • @MsCharlotteD FREEDOM OF SPEECH YOU FUCKING BIMBO GO KILL YOURSELF #9GAG #LE9GAGARMY #LELEGGION
    • @MsCharlotteD Please do the world a favor go hang yourself.#diecharlotte
    • @MsCharlotteD Go kill yourself you fucking Whore. #diecharlotte
    • @MsCharlotteD on behalf of the world would you please go and hang yourself
    • @MsCharlotteD Kill yourself you putrid piece of shit. 9gag never forgives!
    • @MsCharlotteD Should hang herself. Bitched already caused enough trouble and doesn't deserve that much fame #cocksuckingbitches

And that is just a selection from the past 24 hours. Trolls sent Dawson grotesque photographs of dead bodies and mocked her for her for not having children. The numerous references to 9gag — a meme-sharing Web site that 4chan users have in the past sought to blame for their own trolling — suggests this campaign may have originated on 4chan. (That's the same site that once tormented the parents of a 14-year-old boy who committed suicide with prank phone calls for a year and a half and turned a photo of his headstone into a meme.)

The abuse reached a peak after Dawson used publicly available information to contact one of her most persistent trolls, who turned out to be an employee of Melbourne's Monash University named Tanya Heti. Heti wrote a series of abusive Tweets directed at Dawson and any follower who defended her, repeatedly telling Dawson to "go hang yourself." Heti even identified a Dawson defender whose fiancé had committed suicide and Tweeted at her, "If I was your fiance I'd hang myself too #gohangyourself." Heti had made her work contact information available online, and Monash has reportedly suspended her with pay pending an investigation.

In the wake of the Heti incident the abuse only got uglier. Late last night in Sydney, Dawson Tweeted, "Hope this ends the misery .." and "You win."

Emergency services were called to her home and Dawson was admitted to hospital for observation. Her condition is unknown.

The minister of police for the state of New South Wales says he thinks that the kind of bullying Dawson faced may be legally actionable, if any of the senders were, like Heti, located in Australia:
    [P]olice minister Mike Gallacher said he wanted the trolls "dragged out of their mother's basement and put before a court" following the Twitter attacks on the Australia's Next Top Model host.

"These are sick minds we're dealing with," he said yesterday. "I'd be interested to see if they're still tough guys when they're in handcuffs." [...]

Mr Gallacher said that "even a cursory examination of the comments made to Ms Dawson overnight reveals they are clearly offensive to a reasonable person, which is the test for any prosecution under Section 474.17 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act".

That section refers to use of a "carriage service" to menace, harass or offend, with a maximum three-year jail term.

University of Technology Sydney communications law expert Michael Fraser said those who attacked Dawson had committed criminal acts.

"The online world is not above the law," Professor Fraser said.

Next Top Model Judge Hospitalized after Twitter Bullying Leads to Suicide Attempt

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm baffled by this, I don't understand why she's the object of such hate. She has a very big personality and can be a bit of a bitch as a judge on ANTM but she's actually really funny and has a good sense of humour about herself. There are a million other people who deserve to be attacked, but I'm not sure why they chose Charlotte.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

i just looked at her twitter. she RT'd a lot of the offensive tweets from those assholes. wow.

@MsCharlotteD
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Why can't these 4Chan losers focus their attention on Gina Rinehart instead?
    faithanne and Kat Scorp like this.

^^ is that whose behind it- 4chan?

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'm baffled by this, I don't understand why she's the object of such hate. She has a very big personality and can be a bit of a bitch as a judge on ANTM but she's actually really funny and has a good sense of humour about herself. There are a million other people who deserve to be attacked, but I'm not sure why they chose Charlotte.
    Yeah! I don't understand ANYONE being treated that way but especially not her. She seems like a nice enough person.

Countdown until Leanne jumps on this...
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I don't understand how tweets from anyone can drive you to try suicide. Stop reading them!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Don't feed the trolls, Charlotte:

Expert says Dawson broke the first rule of social media: don't feed the trolls

Asher Moses and Andrew Hornery

Charlotte Dawson remains in hospital after a torrent of Twitter abuse.

Hours before being taken to a hospital emergency ward early yesterday morning, television host Charlotte Dawson admitted a social media onslaught was taking a toll.
    Dawson is expected to remain in the psychiatric clinic at Sydney's St Vincents Hospital until the weekend.
    I don't think you should reward trolls with that sort of attention ... She got herself into a corner.
    Social media consultant Laurel Papworth
    Friends who have seen Dawson since she was taken to hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning describe the television personality as "extremely frail".
    It is understood a concerned friend raised the alarm on Thursday, notifying police and ambulance to attend Dawson's Darlinhghurst apartment following the barrage of abuse directed at the Australia's Next Top Model judge on Twitter.
    Advertisement
    Dawson, who has had a long and public battle with depression, currently has no access to any communication devices or media, and is instead undergoing psychiatric treatment.
    A social media expert said Dawson appeared to have broken one of the cardinal rules of the internet: don't feed the trolls.
    Online community manager and social media consultant Laurel Papworth said that by responding to and retweeting attacks such as calls for her to "go hang herself" - and even calling the boss of a woman who abused her online - the television star gave her enemies the oxygen they craved.
    “You never give bullies oxygen and you never feed the trolls,” Papworth said.
    “By simply retweeting every negative tweet that comes along you're training your community, to get Charlotte's attention, be mean to her ... I don't think you should reward trolls with that sort of attention ... She got herself into a corner.”
    Often times, the bully has far fewer followers than their target and by responding to or retweeting them, the victim immediately notifies all of their followers about the attacker's tweet.
    Dawson had just under 35,000 followers at the time of writing, and Papworth said she would have been better served by using Twitter's “block” tool to stop the attackers from communicating with her. If she did respond, she should have done so without naming the troll Twitter accounts.
    Papworth said Dawson had called her attackers names - “attention whore”, “Westie scrag”, “sad ugly moll” - and by doing so created an audience that was attracted to that sort of commentary.
    “You've got to be [radio shock jock] Kyle Sandilands to build that kind of community and manage it,” said Papworth.
    “You've got to be kind of a bulldozer and if you're going to have a TV show or a radio show where you effectively attack people then the people who watch that show are a particular kind of personality and therefore you create a community with that side and you've got to live with it.
    “People who only put out inspirational quotes don't get those kind of attacks.”
    Papworth said she was “not a pop psychologist” but from her experience managing online communities, trolls were often emotionally bullied themselves and are “vulnerable people who are emotionally attracted to high drama”.
    “Charlotte is obviously a very vulnerable person who has bullied people by calling them 'slags' and 'whores' and whatever else and now she's been bullied herself,” she said.
    Calls to protect people from cyber-bullying
    The incident has sparked calls from the Coalition for reforms to better protect people from cyber-bullying and harassment.
    Opposition Leader Tony Abbott wants tougher legal powers to order ‘‘scurrilous’’ internet bullying attacks to be taken down. Online bullying was a more disturbing phenomenon than verbal attacks, he said.
    "I don’t believe in censoring the internet but we do have to have reasonable protections,’’ Mr Abbott told the Nine Network this morning. ‘‘What we’re looking at is more capacity for take-down orders."
    New South Wales Police Minister Mike Gallacher has called for trolls to be “dragged out of their mother's basement and put before a court”, according to News Ltd papers today. It is a criminal offence to use a carriage service to menace, harass or offend.
    Others have called for Twitter to take more responsibility for weeding these sorts of people out of its platform.
    But Papworth said social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook should not be “the values police for the community”.
    “It's like blaming the telephone because someone called you and said something you didn't like,” she said.
    “We don't want Facebook and Twitter becoming our censorship police because if they can do it for us then they're also going to be forced to do it in the Middle East and China and other countries by their laws.
    “We can't say 'I took offence to that therefore Twitter should shut that person up here, oh, but they can't do that in China or the Middle East'. We need tools that allow us to block people and remove them from our network, and we have that.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/expert-says-dawson-broke-the-first-rule-of-social-media-dont-feed-the-trolls-20120831-254b6.html#ixzz255OjwKdg
    Bonus points to Charlotte for the use of "Westie scrag".
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Twitter is so unnecessary and these celebs, and others, who use it to post their every passing thought, should expect backlash. It, along with facebook, are the devil! Now get off my yard!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bullying is disgusting, but I don't understand marinating in the abuse when you absolutely can easily avoid it. I've said this before, but social media is not an inalienable right, and if it's affecting you mentally - get off it. Don't torture yourself unnecessarily, just deactivate your account.

That said, I sincerely hope she's okay. That's awful.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

There's a certain type of masochistic person who just cannot resist checkin on what's being said about them, even if they know it's nasty. It's easy enough to avoid so my sympathy is limited.
    Waterslide, holly and Beeyotch like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^^Yes, and Leann is just such another person.

I completely agree about not feeding the trolls; it's one of my basic 'net rules-for-living.

Deleting her Twatter would have been a wise response. Safe to say she has other problems going on--like the depression mentioned in the article--and the bullying aggravated them.

I totally support her calling that woman's boss, however. Though she should have had a lawyer or police officer do it for her! Fuck you, Tanya Heti. Rot and die. I hate assholes like you.

(I wonder if Tanya's ever been a member here? Nothing would surprise me anymore, and "people" like her are usually internet addicts in general. I bet her desk is covered with post-it notes. )
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

Papworth said Dawson had called her attackers names - “attention whore”, “Westie scrag”, “sad ugly moll” - and by doing so created an audience that was attracted to that sort of commentary.
    “You've got to be [radio shock jock] Kyle Sandilands to build that kind of community and manage it,” said Papworth.
    “You've got to be kind of a bulldozer and if you're going to have a TV show or a radio show where you effectively attack people then the people who watch that show are a particular kind of personality and therefore you create a community with that side and you've got to live with it.
    “People who only put out inspirational quotes don't get those kind of attacks.”

Papworth said she was “not a pop psychologist” but from her experience managing online communities, trolls were often emotionally bullied themselves and are “vulnerable people who are emotionally attracted to high drama”.
    “Charlotte is obviously a very vulnerable person who has bullied people by calling them 'slags' and 'whores' and whatever else and now she's been bullied herself,” she said.

Sounds to me like Charlotte could give it out but couldn't take it.
    Reminds me a lot of LeMann.
    Two fruitloops who can't stay away from Twitter.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

On the one hand, fuck the trolls and grow a thicker skin.

On the other, what in the everloving fuck drives someone to torment someone they don't even know to this extent. Pathetic and probably pathological.

on the one hand i agree that she could've easily avoided this, but on the other hand i read in another article that her fiancé recently committed suicide and i think if you're already in such a vulnerable state that even vile internet trolls could push you over the edge. i hope she's ok.

what i don't like is that the article makes it sound like the hate came from 9gag and i don't think that's fair. i visit that site often and it's just full of harmless memes and funny pictures. if some troll tweets shit #gossiprocks that doesn't mean GR is responsible for their behavior, either.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information