Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Paranormal State star, Ryan Buell, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 30

Default Paranormal State star, Ryan Buell, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 30

I know most may not know who he is, but I watch the show occasionally and damn. Pancreatic cancer at 30.

Ryan Buell Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

By Rennie Dyball

08/09/2012 at 12:15 PM EDT

Ryan Buell
    Rob Kim/Retna

Ryan Buell, paranormal investigator and star of A&E's hit series Paranormal State, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is 30 years old.

Buell, who founded the Paranormal Research Society and wrote a memoir, Paranormal State: My Journey Into the Unknown, in 2010, has been speaking out about his battle on his Facebook page, and he wants to make something clear.

He's not the only one struggling with this terrible disease.

"You all also know that Ryan is the type of person that not only likes to keep things relatively private, but wants to make sure that others are taken care of first," wrote a member of the PRS Staff on Buell's official Facebook fan page. "Ryan has been honored and humbled by the support, but also wants to make sure that we all remember the struggle is not his alone."

"There are those who have struggled with this disease for years, those who are diagnosed every day and those within the support network surrounding them. Ryan knows he is loved and supported, and would want for that love and support to stretch beyond this community."

The post asks that Buell's fans support organizations that are working to find a cure and those that offer support to loved ones of those battling pancreatic cancer, citing the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and its taking action initiative.

As for his own personal battle with the illness, Buell has displayed both optimism and honesty in his posts (as of Wednesday, he had nearly 82,000 likes on his public fan page).

He shared a superhero-esque photo of himself on the page (with the headline "Cancer: Even the Greatest of Heroes Have to Take the Fight Within … Soldier On!").

"I know there are many of you suffering from illnesses, and not just cancer. I say to all of you: SOLDIER ON!" Buell wrote with the photo. "I know the pain that you will feel. And the pain for treatment. I still say SOLDIER ON! Let's think of one another during those moments, even though we don't know each other."

Since news of his diagnosis broke in July, Buell has made good on those words, even attending a PRS reunion. "I won't lie, I have been in and out of the hospital all week, and sadly some of the PRS Retreat people didn't get to have as much time with me as I had hoped," he wrote on Facebook. "But to all those who went, you made it a magical event for me."

The PRS staff continues to update fans on Buell's condition on his Facebook page. "Last night at the hospital, Ryan underwent a medical procedure and it was successful," staff wrote on Tuesday. "He is currently back home resting. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers."

Pancreatic cancer is highly lethal and claims the lives of thousands every year – Steve Jobs (who had a rare form) and Patrick Swayze were two of the most public patients to battle the disease.
    Pancreatic Cancer: Ryan Buell Diagnosed : People.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh no! That's awful! Ryan is such a nice guy. Fuck cancer.

mjw
    Elite Member

Sad

I watched Paranormal State quite frequently and this really freaked me out. Probably partly because he just turned 30. I don't even know what to say.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

This really fucking blows ass!

Wow, hope he can beat it. He has a great attitude. That's really sad. 30.

But STILL not as painful/bad as a root canal. Just saying.

Damn, 30? I hope he gets a miracle.
    Icepik, Bluebonnet and Fran like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Wow, hope he can beat it. He has a great attitude. That's really sad. 30.

But STILL not as painful/bad as a root canal. Just saying.
    I thought about that as I was reading this. My friend was following him on facebook which is how I found out about the cancer, so I started following him too. Sometimes he writes his own statuses and he never complains, he's always optimistic. They had a PRS get-together recently and he went, even though I got the feeling his doctors told him not to. The other people who write the statuses say he's always making jokes, even in pain in the hospital. It just makes me want to shake that other person until her horse teeth fall out.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Wow he's incredibly young to be diagnosed with this. Poor thing, I hope he beats it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Elite Member

How sad; such an awful disease at such a young age. I wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I thought about that as I was reading this. My friend was following him on facebook which is how I found out about the cancer, so I started following him too. Sometimes he writes his own statuses and he never complains, he's always optimistic. They had a PRS get-together recently and he went, even though I got the feeling his doctors told him not to. The other people who write the statuses say he's always making jokes, even in pain in the hospital. It just makes me want to shake that other person until her horse teeth fall out.

True that!!! I have chronic pancreatitis and it is THEE most painful thing ever. I can't even begin to imagive the pain he is going through right now. I most defo have him in my prayers!!

Wow, I watch PS all the time! Poor guy, I hope for a miracle.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by Honeythorn View Post
    True that!!! I have chronic pancreatitis and it is THEE most painful thing ever. I can't even begin to imagive the pain he is going through right now. I most defo have him in my prayers!!
    I'm sorry to hear that, Honeythorn, I can't imagine how horrible that is! And on fb, the only thing Ryan has been asking for is prayers.

This is bad news at any age, but 30! I wish him well,poor guy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Horrible news!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information