Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Tippi Hedren says Alfred Hitchcock was 'evil'

Default Tippi Hedren says Alfred Hitchcock was 'evil'

Hitchcock star Tippi Hedren says director was 'evil', and she'd be rich if sexual harassment laws applied in the 1960s

By Sara Malm

PUBLISHED: 19:40, 2 August 2012 | UPDATED: 20:12, 2 August 2012

Director and muse: Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren, arrive at the festival theatre in Cannes, France, for the screening of The Birds in 1963

She was once his muse but when young Tippi Hedren refused legendary director Alfred Hitchcock’s sexual advances he ruined her career.
    Veteran actress Hedren, 82, says she would have been a rich woman if sexual harassment laws existed in 1963 when ‘The Birds’ was filmed.

Her comments came as production of a television drama about her relationship with the ‘Psycho’ director is wrapping up.
    She claims he ruined her career when she refused to bow to his advances, but said he failed ruin her life.
    ‘I think he was an extremely sad character.
    ‘We are dealing with a brain here that was an unusual genius, and evil, and deviant, almost to the point of dangerous, because of the effect that he could have on people that were totally unsuspecting.’

Tippi Hedren spoke about the rampant sexual harassment as she joined the cast of ‘The Girl’, a collaboration between BBC and American network HBO which looks into the relationship she had with Hitchcock while making ‘The Birds’.

At the time of filming Tippi, born Natalie Kay Hedren, was 34 years old, more than 30 years younger than Hitchcock, and engaged to be married to her second husband.
    The knowledge of this this did not stop his advances, something which becomes clear in ‘The Girl’.

The film, based on the book ‘Spellbound by Beauty’ by Donald Spoto, portrays the director as a predator who demands sexual favours of his leading lady.

The 90 minute television drama has an impressive cast with Sienna Miller as Tippy Hedren, Toby Jones as Alfred Hitchcock, Imelda Staunton as Hitchcock’s wife, Alma, and Penelope Wilton as his loyal assistant, Peggy Robertson.

In one scene Hitchcock aggressively forces a kiss on Hedren in the back seat of a car during the filming and later orders her to make herself ‘available sexually’.

Filming with his birds: Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren on set where, the actress claims, he sexually harassed her

The film also suggests that Hitchcock punished her for rejecting his advances.

In one scene, the director sends a prop bird crashing through phone booth glass without warning Tippi.
    Actress Tippi Hedren, pictured in 2007, says she would have sued Hitchcock if sexual harassment laws existed in the sixties

Another sequence shows her forcing her to work with live birds for five days for the film's attic scene. Hedren had been told mechanical birds would be used, only to find live birds were let loose – again with no prior warning.

Hedren, now aged 82, said there were times of delight working for Hitchcock while filming ‘The Birds’ and her only other film for him, ‘Marnie’.
    But once she rejected his advances, and refused to make another film with him, he effectively ended her career by stopping her working for two years.

‘He ruined my career but he didn't ruin my life,’ she said.
    ‘If this had happened today I would be a very rich woman,’ she added, alluding to the protection afforded by sexual harassment laws today.
    Given the unwanted advances she could have possibly sued Hitchcock who died aged 80 in 1980.
    Hedren, mother of actress Melanie Griffith, was working as a successful model when she was chosen by Hitchcock to star in ‘The Birds’.
    The director had been looking for another blonde actress to replace Grace Kelly who had starred in three of his previous films.
    He signed her to a personal contract which he upheld when she refused to work for him.
    For two years she sat a home unable to work despite offers from other Hollywood studios.
    While she was able to resume her career she never became a major star although she went on to make 50 films and has had guest appearances on TV shows including CSI: Crime Scene Investigators.

Power: He directed her in his classic The Birds in 1963 and in Marnie the following year

Tension: Miss Hedren claims Hitchcock said her career would prosper only if she began sleeping with him

Read more: Hitchcock star Tippi Hedren says director was 'evil', and she'd be rich if sexual harassment laws applied in the 1960s | Mail Online

I'm mostly shocked that at 82 Tippi looks so much better and younger than her 54 year old daughter.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^This!

He sounded like such a bastard.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I've heard this before, that Hitchcock was a huge asshole, especially to the actresses he worked with.

Deviant Genius. Sums him right up.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Deviant Genius. Sums him right up.
    Sure does.

I don't know that sexual harassment laws protect Hollywood actors these days. An actor or actress would be committing career suicide to file suit against a director of Hitchcock's caliber even today.

She is a stunner at 82. And what an ass Hitchcock must have been!
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I guess I'm not surprised. He seemed a little creepy.

And, I agree, she does look better than her daughter. She always has. Much prettier.

I saw her at the Magic Castle in Hollywood about 10 years ago. The magician pulled her up on stage to assist him. I knew who she was the second he pulled her on stage. He asked her name and she replied "Tippi". He then asked "Tippi what?" and she replied "Tippi Hedren". He was like "Ok, Tippi..." der. He had no clue who she was and the whole audience did. She just shrugged her shoulder and smiled. Very charming and cute about the whole thing.

Wonder if he pulled this shit w/Grace too? And wonder if she fell for it?

Tippi looks pretty freaking good.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Wonder if he pulled this shit w/Grace too? And wonder if she fell for it?
    I wondered, too, but I figure Grace was the type to be game for it and maybe even intimidate him.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Elite Member

Wow, she does look good for her age.

Most of these current stars with all their injections & PS look 1/2 as good.
    Mrs P likes this.

what's wrong with her FACE
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I'm mostly shocked that at 82 Tippi looks so much better and younger than her 54 year old daughter.
    Well, to be fair that pic was from 2007, when she was only 77.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

A*O

He was creepily obsessed with all his 'ice maiden' leading ladies - Grace Kelly, Tippi and Kim Novac. They all looked more or less the same. I thought it was pretty well known that he was a possibly impotent dirty old man.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    This is true.

Very interesting article! I would guess this was a pattern with him and his actresses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information