Thread: Doctor Who Actress Mary Tamm has died

Default Doctor Who Actress Mary Tamm has died

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Celebrity

'Doctor Who' actress Mary Tamm dies, aged 62

Published Thursday, Jul 26 2012, 4:04am EDT | By Tom Eames

Mary Tamm has died at the age of 62.

The former Doctor Who star lost her 18-month battle with cancer in London this morning (July 26), her agent confirmed.

PA Images / PA Wire

Tamm was perhaps best known for her role as Romana, the companion of Tom Baker's Doctor in the 1978-79 Key to Time series.

"She had a great zest for life. She was a fantastic actress - she played stage parts of such range, parts that would take your breath away. She could play any role, and do so wonderfully," her longtime agent Barry Langford told PA.

The stage and screen actress starred in a number of films including The Odessa File and The Likely Lads.

Following Tamm's role in Doctor Who, she featured in lead roles in shows including The Treachery Game, The Assassination Run and sitcom The Hello, Goodbye Man.

Tamm starred in Brookside from 1993 to 1996 as Penny Crosbie, and in EastEnders as Orlenda for a week-long storyline in 2009.

She also appeared in TV shows including Paradise Heights, The Bill, Doctors, Holby City and Wire in the Blood.

Mary Tamm spoke to Digital Spy in 2009 about her autobiography First Generation.

She is survived by her husband Marcus Ringrose, daughter Lauren and grandson Max.

Watch a clip of Mary Tamm and Tom Baker in Doctor Who below:

[YOUTUBE]gep2IObhqKk[/YOUTUBE]

'Doctor Who' actress Mary Tamm dies, aged 62 - Doctor Who News - Celebrity - Digital Spy
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

Oh, how sad. She was so lovely and had a sort of chilly elegance about her. Very different from the other Romana. I love all the great charactor actors and actresses from vintage Who. Tom Baker's still alive and kicking, right?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Sarah Jane gone and now Romana?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Oh, how sad. She was so lovely and had a sort of chilly elegance about her. Very different from the other Romana. I love all the great charactor actors and actresses from vintage Who. Tom Baker's still alive and kicking, right?
    Yup, Tom Baker's still alive.

Caroline John, who played Liz Shaw and was companion to the Third Doctor, passed away on June 5th, too. Cancer was the cause of death for her, Mary Tamm, Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) and Lis Sladen.
    on Twitter)

This is so sad

62 is not old.

It seems odd that so many of them are dying in such a tight time span at such young ages. Anyone know if they were similar cancers?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    Yup, Tom Baker's still alive.

Caroline John, who played Liz Shaw and was companion to the Third Doctor, passed away on June 5th, too. Cancer was the cause of death for her, Mary Tamm, Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) and Lis Sladen.
    Thanks! good to hear about Tom. I am still bummed about Lis Sladen. I adored her. Funny, we looked so much alike once upon a time, I kept getting mistaken for her at fan conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    It seems odd that so many of them are dying in such a tight time span at such young ages. Anyone know if they were similar cancers?
    Makes you wonder about BBC working conditions if so. I heard that Lis died of pancreatic cancer; she declined very suddenly. I think she was a breast cancer survivor also. As for the others, nobody seems to have said anything.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I don't really know who this actress is because I never watched Dr Who. But the first time I glanced at the thread title I thought it said "Doctor Who Married Actress has died" and I thought so what? Then next time I refreshed it said "Doctor Who Arrested Mary Tamm has died" and I had to look twice, again. Alcohol is bad, kids.

Anyway, sorry for being disrespectful. RIP pretty lady.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

R.I.P. I don't know who she was, but I just read on the Daily Mail Online that her husband died mere hours after her funeral!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Their poor daughter and grandson

Widower of Doctor Who star who died of cancer suffers fatal heart attack hours after giving the eulogy at her funeral

• Marcus Ringrose apparently suffered a heart attack at their South London home on Tuesday
    • Just hours earlier, he had read the eulogy at his wife Mary Tamm's funeral
    • Ms Tamm lost her battle with cancer two weeks ago

The widower of Doctor Who actress Mary Tamm died just hours after her funeral.
    Marcus Ringrose apparently suffered a heart attack at their Battersea, South London home on Tuesday.
    Just hours earlier, he had read his wife's eulogy at her funeral, which took place 12 days after she lost her battle with cancer.

Tragic: Mary Tamm's husband Marcus Ringrose, pictured together in 1994, has also died

Her agent Barry Langford confirmed Mr Ringrose had been at his computer responding to letters and condolences for his loss when he collapsed.
    The couple, who had been married for 34 years, are survived by their daughter Lauren and seven-year-old grandson Max.
    Tamm, who played the first incarnation of the Doctor's companion Romana, alongside Tom Baker, died at her home on July 26 at the age of 62.
    The Bradford-born actress had been suffering from cancer for 18 months.

Iconic: Tamm played Romana to Tom Baker's Time Lord in Doctor Who in the Seventies

Paying tribute to his wife before he died, Ringrose said: 'On set and offstage, her earthy northern humour and self-deprecating wit brightened every occasion. She was a consummate actress, and immensely popular in the profession.
    'Mary was born in Bradford, the daughter of impoverished refugees, and through sheer talent and hard graft got herself to Rada, starred opposite Jon Voight in The Odessa File, and found a form of immortality as the Time Lady Romana opposite Tom Baker in Doctor Who.
    'We will miss her every day.'

Strong star: Tamm recently starred in Wire In The Blood, Jonathan Creek and Paradise Heights

Leading lady: Mary was the first incarnation of the Doctor's companion Romana

Tamm played the role of Time Lady Romanadvoratrelundar, Romana for short, from 1978 to 1979.
    She reportedly refused to reprise her role on the show after her character became more of a damsel in distress and less of an independent hero.
    As well as Doctor Who, Mary had starring roles in films The Odessa File and The Likely Lads and she also appeared in soaps Brookside and EastEnders.
    Mr Langford, her agent of 22 years, told the Daily Mirror: 'She had a great zest for life. She was a fantastic actress - she played stage parts of such range, parts that would take your breath away.
    'She could play any role, and do so wonderfully.'
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

That's very sad. Their poor family.
    on Twitter)

Thread Information