Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By HWBL
  • 2 Post By Mrs Fawlty
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 1 Post By FashionVictim
  • 3 Post By Belt Up

Thread: My night with Micheal Hutchence: cabin boy who became first Briton to have sex change

Bronze Member

Default My night with Micheal Hutchence: cabin boy who became first Briton to have sex change

We drank champagne and then made love': My night with Micheal Hutchence by cabin boy who became first Briton to have a sex change

By Daily Mail Reporter
    PUBLISHED: 10:32 GMT, 17 June 2012 | UPDATED: 14:24 GMT, 17 June 2012

Born plain George Jamieson, he became the first Briton to have a sex change and sparked countless lurid headlines.

Yesterday as the actress and campaigner April Ashley was appointed an MBE for services to transgender equality. she revealed how she had a night of passion with INXS frontman Micheal Hutchence.

Miss Ashley revealed the pair met in a Sydney hotel when she was promoting a book in 1983- and she thought he was the most handsome man she had ever seen.

Gorgeous: April Ashley, pictured in her glamour hey-day in 1962, revealed she had a one-night stand with Michael Hutchence in 1983

Speaking to The Sunday Mirror the former model said she was approached by Micheal in a bar where he approached her and asked if she would like a drink.
    'It was rather nice *because he said, "Would you like to come up to my room and have a bottle of *champagne?" We made love and very nice it was too.'
    Ms Ashley added she hadn't the 'foggiest' who the singer was and had to be told by a friend but as she preferred The Beatles she wasn't all that impressed.

The award marks the latest chapter in the sensational life of the 77-year-old, a veteran of numerous sex scandals.

Transformation: George Jamieson as a teenager, and right, as the sultry April Ashley, who went on to become a leading model

In her glamorous heyday she became a Vogue model, seduced actors Omar Sharif and Peter O’Toole and attracted the amorous attentions of Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso.

But her world came crashing down in the Sixties when a ‘friend’ sold her story to a newspaper and intimate details of how she had been turned from a man into a woman under a surgeon’s knife caused a sensation.

She bounced back, marrying an aristocrat but that only led to more astonishing revelations.

April was born into a seafaring Liverpudlian family in 1935 and says she knew from the age of three there was something ‘different’ about her.
    Flashback: How the Sunday People reported the revelation that April Ashley was born a man, in 1961

Shock: The News of the World's spread on May 13, 1962

Dark, slightly built and effeminate, the young George became the victim of daily beatings at school. At 15, in a vain attempt to become masculine, he signed up for the merchant navy but after two years at sea – once more a magnet for bullies – he resolved to commit suicide. A failed attempt saw him ‘dishonourably discharged’ and after two further attempts he was locked up in a mental institution.

Eventually allowed out, George headed for London – once sharing a boarding house with former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott – where he began cross-dressing.
    He moved to Paris in 1955, calling himself Toni and working as a hostess at Le Carousel, a drag club, where he mingled with a set that included Ernest Hemingway, Jean Paul Sartre and Bob Hope.

In 1960, at the age of 25 and having saved £3,000, he travelled to Casablanca and was introduced to Moroccan surgeon Doctor Burou, known as The Wizard of Casablanca, who had carried out eight previous sex change ops.

The procedure lasted seven hours, and afterwards she returned to London, where her striking looks soon led to a modelling assignment for Vogue, shot by David Bailey, and to a minor role in the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby film The Road To Hong Kong.
    Unfortunate: April Ashley's wedding to Arthur Corbett was delayed after intrusions into her life

But success came abruptly to an end in 1961 when a friend sold her story to the Sunday People, published under the headline: The Extraordinary Case Of Top Model April Ashley – Her Secret Is Out.

She became a celebrity ‘freak’ but her notoriety didn’t stop her marrying into the aristocracy. In 1963 she wed Arthur Corbett, the Eton-educated son and heir of Lord Rowallan.

When they met Corbett was already married with four children and had a penchant for dressing up as a woman himself.

He eventually left his wife and April moved into the highest echelons of British society before the marriage collapsed.

APRIL ASHLEY

She once again hit the headlines after Corbett petitioned for divorce in 1969.

It became one of the most talked about events of the decade with details of the case exploding over the newspapers. The couple faced each other in the courtroom, with Corbett claiming the union should be annulled on the grounds that because Ashley had been born a man, the marriage had never been legally sound.

The court agreed, setting a precedent which left transsexuals in gender limbo, until laws came into effect eight years ago that allowed them to be recognised legally as women.

Following a hard fought campaign, April was finally able to legally call herself a woman in 2004, when the Government’s introduced the Gender Recognition Act.

It was not until 2005 that she was granted a new birth certificate, asserting that she was born female – with the help of old housemate John Prescott.

She says: ‘He was ever so supportive… he and his wife still send me Christmas cards.’

She now lives alone in Fulham, West London.

Miss Ashley revealed the pair met in a Sydney hotel when she was promoting a book in 1983- and she thought he was the most handsome man she had ever seen.
    Either she must have had bad eyesight, or she'd not seen (m)any men before Hutchence.
    arie_skop and Banshee like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Wow. She was/is gorgeous. I'm surprised I'd never heard of her before now.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Wow. She was/is gorgeous. I'm surprised I'd never heard of her before now.
    Ahhhh, Lola. this gal is the template for all transgender boys/girls. She used to live near me. Was, i think, the first transgender person to have their birth certificate changed from boy to girl. For that I have great respect. She is and always was a very gorgeous woman.
    Stereo Inferno and Lalasnake like this.

I feel behind, then. I think I will read up on her. It sounds like she's been a real trailblazer.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Wow! This is the first time that I ever heard this story! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing it!

Damn, she's GORGEOUS. What a face. As a male and as a female both, too. Sounds like she needs to write her autobiography...
    Stereo Inferno likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

There's nothing remotely male about her, physically. She was so beautiful. Even today, sitting there in her kaftan and perfect hair and make up, she's bangin'!

@KathieMoffet, I agree re: Autobiography. I hope she's been keeping journals.

I also just need to acknowledge, Picasso and Dali!!!???? WOW! There's probably only about nine people alive who can boast about spending time with these two!

I really like that picture where she's wearing the polka dot scarf or wrap or whatever that is. And she's still gorgeous today!

I'm kind of worn out on celeb bios, but hers would probably be extremely interesting.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

I think Hutchence was good looking in the late 80's.
    Belt Up likes this.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Silver Member

deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    I think Hutchence was good looking in the late 80's.
    He was, incredible sexual energy too.
    rollo, politesse and funky_chicken like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Right? Love to watch that man perform
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Thread Information