Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Like Tree2490Likes

Thread: 19 Kids and Counting star Josh Duggar was named in an underage sexual abuse probe

So, they believe the Earth is about 5,000 years old? They're wrong, because it's about 4.5 billion years old and our sun is slightly older than that. I just don't understand ... do these radicals not teach actual science (not the "science" they pull out of their asses) when they homeschool? Do they always fail the whole section of science on the GED they must take?

czb

*sigh*

creationists have different theories. some think earth is 3k BC (what i was taught). others think 5-10k bC. they base this on events in the old testament. they also believe that the earth was created in six 24hr days. not sure if i would call them radicals, they are kicking it old school, like the people who believe the world is flat.

this can be taught in homeschools, or private schools (the ones i know of are religious). and like i said, i learned it in public school. again, it was not taught as fact, but rather, as what some people believe. i'm glad i learned this, since it gives me perspective. and some communitiies are fighting to have this taught as the only explanation of how the earth was created. ...

We also had some religion in public school simply because I had the odd Christian teacher who felt the need to work that into everything. I remember my mom coming in to complain and being told that, if we objected, I could sit in the hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    So, they believe the Earth is about 5,000 years old? They're wrong, because it's about 4.5 billion years old and our sun is slightly older than that. I just don't understand ... do these radicals not teach actual science (not the "science" they pull out of their asses) when they homeschool? Do they always fail the whole section of science on the GED they must take?
    I don't know about the GED requirements, but you might "enjoy" this: 11 Eye-Opening Highlights From a Creationist Science Textbook - 11 Points
    and this!
    http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Eden.../dp/0890513406
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; June 9th, 2015 at 05:26 PM.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

czb

we had no religion in public school. not sure if my grade school still does this. but i will say that my high school is ranked among the bottom 10 for my state.

Congrats!
    czb likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Unfortunately, they have all kinds of people with actual credentials that they can cite. Because these people are EVERYWHERE. Even in scientific fields.

For example, one of them recommended to Mrs. Mohandas a book called "Starlight and Time." The author (Russell Humphreys) is a PhD in physics from LSU (and bachelors from Duke). His thesis is that the Earth is still 6,000 years old even though we know that light travels at a certain speed and that it puts distant planets at billions of light years away from us. Most people would conclude that means the universe is billions of years old, but Humphreys uses the theory of relativity to somehow conclude that there were two clocks running during the creation of Earth. One where our planet was created in six days, and another where light was taking billions of years to reach the Earth.

Yeah, well one of those had a dying battery.
    Linne likes this.

czb

i never heard the two clocks theory.

how many periodic tables are there?

I don't think they have a problem with the periodic tables - yet.

Another guy, Michael Behe - wrote a book called "Darwin's Black Box". This guy invented the theory of "irreducible complexity" - which basically states that "biochemical structures are too complex to be explained by evolutionary mechanisms". This guy has a BS in chemistry from Drexel (!), a PhD in biochemistry from Penn (!!), and is a current biochem professor at Lehigh University (!!!).

They're everywhere!!!

Man. Glad I was reared Episcopalian where we were taught faith and science can coexist.
    Bluebonnet and Cartermrc like this.

I need to stay out of this thread. I love science and could get lost for days reading about black holes, deep matter, the Higgs Bosen Particle, the plate tectonics theory, earthquakes, mega tsunami, volcanoes ... it's endless. I just don't understand close minded thinking.
    twitchy2.0 and ManxMouse like this.

I don't understand how limited their God is. And, forgive me, Lord, but how fricking stupid - because, you notice, if their pea brains can't understand it, then it can't be true. Which, btw, also makes them drowning in self- idolatry and pride, but let's not get all Biblical on them.
    Bluebonnet, idunno and BrickHouse like this.

I need to stay out of this thread. I love science and could get lost for days reading about black holes, deep matter, the Higgs Bosen Particle, the plate tectonics theory, earthquakes, mega tsunami, volcanoes ... it's endless. I just don't understand close minded thinking.
    Neither do I.
    Nevan likes this.

Well, duh. Of course there was a time when people and dinosaurs co-existed.

PecanPie, sluce, Linne and 9 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Jesus looks different in that picture.
    PecanPie, Trixie, sluce and 7 others like this.

Thread Information