Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mel C was lonely in the Spice Girls

Default Mel C was lonely in the Spice Girls

Mel C confesses: Loneliness plagued my Spice Girl days amid rumours about her weight and sexuality

By Jonathan Petre

PUBLISHED: 00:05, 15 April 2012 | UPDATED: 03:36, 15 April 2012
    Tough time: Mel C has confessed she felt isolated at times during her time with The Spice Girls

In the heyday of the Spice Girls she was adored by millions of fans – but now Mel C has revealed she suffered from loneliness and isolation during her time with the group, amid rumours about her weight, eating and sexuality.

In today’s Review section of The Mail on Sunday, ‘Sporty Spice’ Mel C tells comedian and psychologist Pamela Stephenson she was labelled the plain Spice Girl who didn’t do much.

‘I was often regarded as quite aggressive or masculine,’ she said in an interview for Stephenson’s new Channel 4 documentary on the price of fame.

‘There was questions about my sexuality and I was seen as the plain member of the band, you know, the ugly one in the back who doesn’t do much.
    ‘That was a rude awakening and I think it really wobbled me.’

Mel, now 38, revealed she constantly worried about her weight after joining the Spice Girls in 1996, aged 22, and embarked on a cycle of exercise and starvation diets, which led to depression and an eating disorder.

‘It was my biggest fear,’ she said. ‘I became paranoid about putting on weight.’

Mel, who went on to launch a solo career, said she only got a grip on her weight fixation as she approached 30.

Successful: Melanie (Sporty spice), Emma Bunton (Baby spice) Victoria Beckham (Victoria Adams, Posh spice) Geri Halliwell (Ginger spice) and Melanie Brown (Scary spice) in their early days

Back in the day: The Spice Girls enjoyed huge success - but perhaps they didn't always see eye to eye

Sparkling: Mel C seems far happier these days, with her tough time as one of The Spice Girls a thing of the past

Read more: Mel C confesses: Loneliness plagued my Spice Girl days amid rumours about her weight and sexuality | Mail Online

Are there any Spice Girls that didn't have an eating disorder?

Emma Bunton?

So... she's not a lesbian?

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    ‘I was often regarded as quite aggressive or masculine,’ she said in an interview for Stephenson’s new Channel 4 documentary on the price of fame.

‘There was questions about my sexuality and I was seen as the plain member of the band, you know, the ugly one in the back who doesn’t do much.
    Maybe that's because you performed in sports apparel? All the time

The sexuality thing I get, but I've never read an article or have seen and interview where she's referred to "the ugly one" that "doesn't do much".

If anything, she was the main vocal on most of their songs/had a strong voice.

Are we sure she wasn't talking about Posh?
    She barely sang, was never on key, and didn't dance.

Wasn't she the only one that could even sing passably?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That's what I was thinking, I also thought she was the only one that could "sing"
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I though Mel B was the one who could actually sing.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I thought her and Mel B could both sing and dance, while the other 3 sorta hoofed about throwing up peace signs and wearing ugly fucking clothing, right?
    Lenny likes this.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Yeah. She was the only one that sung. And none of them could dance for sh*t. I remembered a comedian once said on a late night show that Ginger Spice is the only stopper he's ever known that couldn't dance.

World confesses: We have not thought about the Spice Girls in 15 years. Which one were you, then?
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

She was my favorite one, because she did stick out like a sore thumb.

I never heard anyone call her ugly, and I don't think she is.
    Yeah, she was masculine and tough acting, so I can understand people questioning her sexuality. Although that doesn't mean if she's a les or not. There are plenty lipstick lesbians.
    Lots of celebrities have eating disorders, sadly I'm not suprised she did too.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

She is the only one who had successful solo career. That must have helped.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I don't think she had such a bad rep back then. I was too young to be a fan but even I knew that Victoria is the useless one in the group. They themselves made a comic video where some older women were dressing up as them and none of them wanted to be Victoria.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information