Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Robert De Niro apologizes for "white first lady" joke

Default Robert De Niro apologizes for "white first lady" joke

Actor Robert De Niro on Wednesday apologized for joking at a Democratic fundraiser with Michelle Obama about the possibility of having a "white first lady" at the White House after November's presidential elections.
    The Oscar-winning star of "The Godfather: Part II" and "Raging Bull" said he had intended no offense with the remark about the wives of Republican presidential contenders Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney.
    "My remarks, although spoken with satirical jest, were not meant to offend or embarrass anyone -- especially the first lady," De Niro said in a statement.

De Niro found himself in hot water after Monday's fundraiser in New York when he introduced Michelle Obama as the main speaker.
    "Callista Gingrich, Karen Santorum, Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady?" De Niro said. "Too soon, right?"
    Newt Gingrich called the remarks inexcusable and divisive. Michelle Obama's office said the joke was "inappropriate."

Robert De Niro apologizes for white first lady joke | Reuters

lol i think it's funny.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Flip it and take it back 4 years ago. Can you imagine a Republican celebrity asking if we are ready for a black first lady?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^
    except republicans would have said that seriously, while deniro was obviously making a joke to mock republicans. the intent is totally different and not comparable at all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes the Repubs would have been serious but it would not have been well received then either. They need to keep race out of it. The candidates are giving us enough material to make jokes about.
    Last edited by sluce; March 21st, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    greysfang and shedevilang like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I think everybody needs to step the freak back and chill out. It was a tad inappropriate but it was a stupid joke. White, black, purple ... none of us are going anywhere so just get over it. We need to learn how to co-exist with each other (which should have been done a very long time ago) ... why is it so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I think everybody needs to step the freak back and chill out. It was a tad inappropriate but it was a stupid joke. White, black, purple ... none of us are going anywhere so just get over it. We need to learn how to co-exist with each other (which should have been done a very long time ago) ... why is it so hard?
    Word

Agreed. And being able to laugh at all the dumb shit really does help.

Does anybody honestly expect Robert DeNiro to be tasteful anyway?! Come on now.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

OH PLEASE. White DJ's and politicians can call black women nappy headed ho's, compare women to livestock, say women who want birth control are sluts, etc.

I think the white republican base De Niro was jabbing can just fucking take one for the team.
    rem_in and hustle4alivin like this.

He's just making fun of people who wondered a few years ago whether the US was ready for a black president. It's awkward, but he obviously didn't mean anything offensive by it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can't see how anyone would take offense. His wife is black I'm sure he was poking fun at the Republicans but Newt Gingrich is so typical just like Sarah Palin, trying to spin a joke into a political statement that he can get all annoyed about. Dumb and dumber.

I'm more pissed that he felt a need to apologize.

Good Lord he was making a joke. I'm struggling to find what is offensive about it.

I'm no fan of the Obamas but I actually think his comment was disrespectful to Michelle Obama.

I just think he was being ironic and he was funny and not offensive at all. Actually, she was probably just offended at the thought that she might not actually be the next first lady!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information