Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Kathy Bates discusses her secret battle with ovarian cancer

Default Kathy Bates discusses her secret battle with ovarian cancer

Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer

Celebrity News March 20, 2012 AT 5:15PMBy Justin Ravitz

Credit: JOJO WHILDEN

Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.

On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, Anderson, about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.

"I was advised to," the Harry's Law star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, Little Black Book, with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.

"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself . . . I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."

Continues the Misery actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."

Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
    Read more: Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer - UsMagazine.com

Hit By Ban Bus!

She's one of those awesome women you just can't say anything bad about. I respect her so much. This just makes me admire her moor.

I'm glad she got through it. Ovarian cancer is a bitch, you can have no symptoms until it's too late.

Never would have guessed, cause she always looks great.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I'm glad she got through it. Ovarian cancer is a bitch, you can have no symptoms until it's too late.
    More details here:- The Eve Appeal - ovarian cancer

Along with that statistics that over 6500 women in the Uk get ovarian cancer each year and 4400 die from it.
    Yes, that is a death rate of 67%.

I'm glad that Kathy is talking about it, gyni cancers are not "glamorous" (pink ribbons, celebrity "sponsors", celebrity charities & events) like breast cancer, nor are they talked about nor publicised.
    Last edited by Novice; March 20th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    darksithbunny and greysfang like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh good to know that "gyni" cancers aren't glamorous like breast cancer. I'll be sure to tell my two friends who died from breast cancer how much more glamorous their death was next time I remember them.

http://www.ovariancancer.org/help-sp...brity-friends/

I love her. I'm so glad we got to keep her longer
    monk and Honeythorn like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Her prerogative to go inward with herself. Love her!
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Oh good to know that "gyni" cancers aren't glamorous like breast cancer. I'll be sure to tell my two friends who died from breast cancer how much more glamorous their death was next time I remember them.

Our Celebrity Friends | Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Try reading what I actually wrote instead of climbing on your cross.
    When did you last see ribbons across the whole of Walmart raising awareness for gyni cancers, read what I wrote about survival rates.
    You posted a green ribbon & yet that does NOT exist in other countries.
    Breast cancer & pink ribbons are big business, when did you hear another celebrity discuss her gyni cancer? Jade Goody? She died 3 years ago.

No-one should have to died of cancer, early detection is VITAL, do you know the signs of gyni cancer? No? Neither did my doctor and had I not been having IVF my survival chances would have plumeted like a stone.

As I previously stated, gyni cancer is under-funded, under-publicised and under-diagnosed.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Way to totally miss the point.
    sluce, Honeythorn and greysfang like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love Kathy Bates and find her very attractive.

Glad she's on the other side of cancer. I like her too.

I believe she was referring to the way breast cancer awareness is literally marketed to the public. BIG business. Lots of money and lots of glamour to be squeezed out of people's actual struggles. To some people, pink ribbons are a fashion accessory, and, much like the beloved flag pin, some people (celebrities, politicians, usu.) wear it in order to "complete an ensemble."

While it is a noble cause, some people think jumping on a pink ribbon bandwagon makes them noble enough that they don't even have to think about the other types of cancers, diseases, etc. that wreak havoc among us.

Honestly, I think instead of having a billion different ribbons for a billion different afflictions, there should be just one "universal health care ribbon" because if you don't have health coverage, you aren't going to have much luck with detection, much less treatment--of breast cancer, of anything.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

*facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I believe she was referring to the way breast cancer awareness is literally marketed to the public. BIG business. Lots of money and lots of glamour to be squeezed out of people's actual struggles. To some people, pink ribbons are a fashion accessory, and, much like the beloved flag pin, some people (celebrities, politicians, usu.) wear it in order to "complete an ensemble."

While it is a noble cause, some people think jumping on a pink ribbon bandwagon makes them noble enough that they don't even have to think about the other types of cancers, diseases, etc. that wreak havoc among us.

Honestly, I think instead of having a billion different ribbons for a billion different afflictions, there should be just one "universal health care ribbon" because if you don't have health coverage, you aren't going to have much luck with detection, much less treatment--of breast cancer, of anything.
    amen and vouch likes all that shitz
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Love Kathy Bates - glad she was okay. I could watch her in Dolores Claiborne over and over.

Dolores Claiborne: [to Joe] That is the last time you ever hit me! Next time, one of us is going to the bone yard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information