Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Julia Roberts annoys Diane Sawyer by flirting with her husband director Mike Nichols

Default Julia Roberts annoys Diane Sawyer by flirting with her husband director Mike Nichols

Mar 16
    '12
    Julia Roberts poured on the charm with Diane Sawyer’s husband, and Diane is pissed

Did you guys get a chance to read the full Vanity Fair “interview” with Julia Roberts for the April issue? It sucked. Hard. We covered the first excerpts from the story here, and you can read the full cover story here at VF (but only if you have the VF app!). When I got my issue, I was kind of disgusted by what passes for a Vanity Fair cover story these days – VF is in the unique position to really do in-depth, expansive, interesting celebrity profiles of the crème de la crème of Hollywood. But instead of, oh, having Julia Roberts sit down with a talented celebrity journalist for a long-winded interview, the VF dude put Julia with her friend, director Mike Nichols, and she and Nichols just sat around for an hour, kissing each other’s asses. Nichols hasn’t even directed Julia in YEARS. To be fair to Julia, VF has been doing these weird, sycophantic, “let’s send the celebrity’s friend to fake-interview them” cover stories a lot lately – it’s like they’re afraid to have a real interviewer just ask a celebrity real questions.
    Anyway, it seems that Julia’s VF story pissed off someone else too – Mike Nichols’ wife, Diane Sawyer. Diane versus Julia!!
    Diane Sawyer is furious over Julia Roberts’ shockingly intimate relationship with her husband, iconic director Mike Nichols. Julia flirted openly with the still-dashing 80-year-old director during a recent interview for Vanity Fair, calling Nichols a “father figure.” Julia told Nichols, “You know, my father died when I was nine years old. Mike, I am so beholden to our relationship. You really are a father to me, and I’m so grateful to be in your love and good care all these years.”
    When Diane read that, she flipped out, revealed an insider. “Diane couldn’t believe it,” said the source. “She felt that Julia was really playing up to Mike, and it made her cringe. Yes, Julia and Mike have worked with each other and are friends, but they hardly have a father-daughter relationship. Diane thought Julia was really laying it on thick!”
    Nichols directed Julia in “Closer” and “Charlie Wilson’s War”, in 2004 and 2007 respectively.
    The source said: “Diane travels around the world for work, and she’s away quite a bit so she guards her relationship with Mike like a hawk. She doesn’t like anyone – much less Julia Roberts – trying to be overly familiar with her husband. She’s fit to be tied!”
    [From The Enquirer, print edition]
    Now… do I believe this? Eh. I believe its essence. I believe that Julia was really pouring on the charm and yes, she was flirting with Nichols throughout the whole piece. She’s JULIA!! That’s who she is. She flirts with every man, married, single, gay, straight, whomever. She has to hold every man’s attention. It’s her “thing”. Now, I think Diane Sawyer knows this about Julia. Diane and Mike Nichols are couple-friends with Julia and probably with Danny Moder too (God knows). Diane and Mike have come out to support several of Julia’s projects, and I believe that everybody gets along in a work-friendly kind of way. I don’t see Diane as the type of woman to be super-pissed at Julia being Julia. But I bet Diane rolled her eyes at the VF story. And I’m surprised Mike Nichols didn’t roll his eyes at that “father figure” line.

Photos courtesy of WENN, VF.
    http://www.celebitchy.com/215392/jul...ane_is_pissed/

fgg

he's 80? how old is diane? i really can't see diane sawyer being jealous of julia roberts.
    lulu09 likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I doubt Diane Sawyer batted an eye.
    lulu09 likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Besides, we're comparing caviar to Taco Bell mystery meat here.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

mike nichols' dentures are freaky.
    julia looks good in that 2nd picture.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah she's got her gob shut!

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    . . . .
    julia looks good in that 2nd picture.

really? she looks like she has crazy-eye.

If any of this is true, where has DS been? Julia Roberts flirts openly with any many who is successful.

Gold Member

I read Vanity Fair because they usually have the best "old money" stories in the business. You know those kind where some rich Duke such-and-such was screwing around on/killed his wife or something.
    I have always considered their celebrity pieces puff pieces. Isn't that always the case? I mean it is all about selling magazines and getting the biggest stars. You ain't going to get A-list celebrities by asking them those probing annoying questions.
    Diane Sawyer doesn't look too bad herself there.
    darksithbunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    he's 80? how old is diane? i really can't see diane sawyer being jealous of julia roberts.
    Those were my first thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Just looked it up - she's 66.

Gold Member

Mrs. Roberts, I think you are trying to seduce me. LOL

Elite Member

Whenever Julia Roberts is interviewed, she always speaks lavishly about things she likes. She doesn't have a wonderful husband, he's "the shiniest person I know." She doesn't have a sweet boy, he's "the sweetest child known to mankind."

She pours it on really thick. I hope Diane didn't give much thought about this. It's just the way Julia is.

Bronze Member

She's beholden to Mike Nichols? She was beholden to Brad Pitt for giving her the role in Eat, Pray, Love.

Julia needs to find another ten dollar word.

I saw a recent interview with her where she didn't gush about her husband Danny. Instead she got the sweetest little smile, the kidn you get when your heart is filling your mind, and said yes I have been married for 10 years now. I was surprised because she really looked happily in love.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information