Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lady Gaga is disingenuous, says Rufus Wainwright

DAP

Default Lady Gaga is disingenuous, says Rufus Wainwright

When it arrives, we’re in full complimentary flow about the dapper singer-songwriter’s excellent new album Out Of The Game. Trendily pitched as ‘Wainwright goes pop!’, in truth the project’s a honeyed mesh of Elton‘n’Nilsson vintage-isms and daring, swooping melodies – all uninterruptedly modernised by the neoteric sheen of Mark Ronson.

We’re not sure if it’s playfulness, sincerity or sheer weariness that drives Wainwright to inject such an early jolt of libidinous cheek into our chat – but when he portrays the hormonal stimulation that Ronson inspired in his studio performance, he leaves us close to blushing.

“We kind of fell in love with each other,” he reveals, half-draped over the sofa of publicist Barbara Charone in north-west London, clad in a typically natty check suit and trainers.

“There’s a real attraction between Mark and I, which is a little harder for me being gay. I have to battle with it. Whether it’s the Beatles or the Stones or Eurythmics, there’s an unrequited sexual, romantic energy in the studio – and it becomes volatile if not dealt with.

“To have someone to sing to and dream about in that amorphous state is what it’s all about in the end. People fall in love with people – yes, there are gay people, straight people and bisexuals. But crushes are universal.”

And to think we wanted to talk about streaming monetisation and direct-to-fan initiatives.

Turns out there’s plenty more gossip provocation in Wainwright’s media arsenal, too: not least when we dig a little deeper in the singer-songwriter’s motivations for some of the strikingly acerbic lyrics on his consistently sweet-sounding seventh studio LP. (“Look at you suckers/Does your mama know what you’re doing?”)

“I think a lot of it has to do with Lady Gaga, to be honest,” he replies, dejectedly tipping his brow skywards. “I totally admire her tenacity, her ambition and her strength of vision. There’s just not one good song there.

“People, especially gay men, are falling so hard for it. Certain things that [she] says: ‘Look at me. I was like you one day and now I’m this – and you can do it too.’ I find it a bit disingenuous. We are in this somewhat sinister period and [artists have] got to kind of toughen up and be real. I guess I want to put a little bit more grit into my presentation of what’s happening in the world. It’s about conveying what’s inside us, as opposed to the return of the cone breasts. I find it predictable and boring.”

Predictable and boring: labels even the most ardent Gaga fan would struggle to pin on Wainwright. Like his mother and father – folk nobility Kate McGarrigle and Loudon Wainwright III – Rufus has never been shy of documenting his personal triumphs and tribulations in song; and they’ve rarely been conventional.
    Music Week - Music Week - Music business magazine - Rufus Wainwright: 'I find the whole thing predictable and boring'

I'm not a big fan of Rufus' music, but at least he's real.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Just dance!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes, he is correct. She's full of bullshit. She's all about pandering. She'll do or say anything to be #1. Her lastest move is also "predictable and boring". I expected her to drop out for a bit so she can reinvent herself. She'll probably be more mysterious and aloof the next round. Fuck her and I love him. One of my favorite songs is Barcelona.

Dead on. I happen to love Rufus and love him even more now.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

I'm a fan of Rufus but lost a lot of respect for him when it comes to his views on female performers. He'll big up the big aussie ball of fluff Kylie Minogue but drag down lady gaga? At least Gaga can sing competently and writes her own stuff. Yeah she might be a pain but at least she's a talented one.

[YOUTUBE]E1UUxP7L0v0[/YOUTUBE]

Love the guys voice and music though. He's a legend.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

Again, so GA GA rah rah rah deserves praise? My dog could write better lyrics than that fake hack.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

Yeah but most of pop these days from female pop performers is all boy boy boy and on the dancefloor anyway.
    Gaga is best on her acoustic stuff with just the piano.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
    I'm a fan of Rufus but lost a lot of respect for him when it comes to his views on female performers.
    how do you go from his views on gaga to his views on 'female performers'? he expressed an opinion about one chick, not an entire gender.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information