Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mark Harmon's Mom, Actress Elyse Knox Passes Away at 94

Unhappy Mark Harmon's Mom, Actress Elyse Knox Passes Away at 94

Mark Harmon's Mom Passes Away

Hannes Magerstaedt / Mark Harmon/ Getty Images

By DAVID WEINER
    February 17, 2012

NCIS star Mark Harmon's mother, actress and fashion designer Elyse Knox Harmon, passed away on Wednesday at her Los Angeles home surrounded by family. She was 94.
    A contract player who starred in close to 40 films for such studios and 20th Century Fox, Columbia and Universal, Knox played the lead opposite Lon Chaney Jr. in 1942's The Mummy's Tomb, worked with Abbott and Costello and in several Joe Palooka movies based on the famed comic strip. She was also a pin-up girl during World War II, appearing in Yank magazine.
    Born in Hartford, Connecticut, Knox studied fashion in Manhattan and pursued a career in fashion design, modeling some of her own creations in Vogue magazine before her good looks found Hollywood calling in the late '30s.

Knox married football star Tom Harmon in 1944, and her wedding dress was made from the silk of the parachute that saved his life after his plane was shot down over China during WWII. The couple settled in Los Angeles and had three children: Mark and his older sisters Kristin and Kelly. Happily married for 46 years, Knox established herself as an accomplished impressionist painter.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be sent to The Lange Foundation in honor of Knox's enduring love for animals.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/mark-harmo...235200728.html
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; February 18th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Nice bio. I never knew his Mother was an actress. He seems like a great guy and appears to value marriage as much as his parents did.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bless her, she has had a long and productive life. Not many get that, doesn't make it easier I know.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I sure do love how the women of those days dressed. So dayum sexy and classy all rolled into one. Nice bio, Mark can be one hella proud son.

Ah! Beautiful Lady
    Trying on the parachute...

Head shots

With the daughters

Daddy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harmon)

(more photos here Elyse Knox Photos)

Personal life

Knox continued to do modeling work for print ads and while appearing on the Bing Crosby radio show she met football star Tom Harmon. They became engaged, but broke up when Harmon entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. That year, Knox married fashion photographer Paul Hesse, who had shot many of her print ads and magazine covers. The marriage was brief. Following her divorce and Tom Harmon's return from World War II (during which he survived two plane crashes and being lost in the jungle), she and Harmon married in 1944. Knox's wedding dress was made from silk from the parachute Harmon used when bailing out of his crippled plane.[2] The couple remained together until his death in 1990.
    The couple had three children, Kristin (b.1945), an actress and painter who at seventeen married recording artist Ricky Nelson and had Tracy, twins Gunnar and Matthew, and son Sam; Kelly (b. 1948), who modeled and also acted in film and television and was once married to automaker John DeLorean; and Mark (b.1951), a film and television actor who starred in films such as The Presidio and NCIS.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

fgg

mark harmon is gunnar and matthew nelson's uncle? weird.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Knox married football star Tom Harmon in 1944, and her wedding dress was made from the silk of the parachute that saved his life after his plane was shot down over China during WWII.
    I love that.

And I also had no idea that those Nelson twins were Mark Harmon's nephews. Huh.

I know this isn't about Kristin Harmon Nelson, but I was reading through her Wiki page and was struck by this gem:

In 1975, the Nelsons were on the verge of breaking up but Harmon would have had no parental support—the Harmons strongly disapproved of divorce. Nelson and Harmon each had affairs outside the marriage.[19] Nelson engaged in one night stands on the road and Harmon's closer-to-home liaisons included athletes and musicians.[20][21] In 1976, Harmon and 17-year-old Ronald Reagan, Jr. were discovered having sex in his parents' bed by Secret Service agents.[20] When Nelson returned from a tour in 1977, he discovered Harmon had moved him out of their home and into a rented house.[22] In less than a month, she found him there with two Los Angeles Rams cheerleaders. Nelson later said she set him up to use the incident against him in court.[23]
    source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Harmon

Leroy Jethro Gibbs had a mother? I thought of him as born a fully grown badass with a long-range rifle. Thankyou for the pics Nov; twas a beautiful woman.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Wow, you can see where Mark Harmon and his sisters got their looks. They all look like their mom.

I remember Kelly from her modeling and the tic tac commercials way back when.

Kristin and Ricky Nelson:
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Gold Member

She was a beautiful woman. Mark himself is aging nicely, has a distunguished Paul Newmanesque look.

Heh, he tried out his dad's profession first, before settling on his mom's. I didn't see this mentioned in the story, but his dad is a Heisman winner.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Heh, he tried out his dad's profession first, before settling on his mom's. I didn't see this mentioned in the story, but his dad is a Heisman winner.
    I think I had read somewhere that Mark had to leave football because of injury. Talented family!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Tom Harmon was the first-ever recipient of the Heisman Trophy in 1940.

This is Sam Nelson, youngest son of Kristin and Ricky. He clearly inherited the best of both families' good looks. He looks like a cross between Mark Harmon and Ricky Nelson. Yowza!!

Last edited by Bluebonnet; February 19th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Mark and Pam Dawber had custody of Sam for a while. Kristin is a real piece of work apparently. Her kids blamed her for Ricky's death saying he was having to do all the touring he was to pay her off.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Mark and Pam Dawber had custody of Sam for a while. Kristin is a real piece of work apparently. Her kids blamed her for Ricky's death saying he was having to do all the touring he was to pay her off.
    Yep. She and Ricky had a gnarly divorce. I remember when that whole battle over the custody of Sam was going on. She's quite the artist, though. I googled her and her website came up: Kristin Nelson's paintings expresses a simplicity and innocence, which touches the deepest of our emotions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information