Thread: Octavia Spencer Wore 3 Sets of Spanx to SAGs

fgg

Default Octavia Spencer Wore 3 Sets of Spanx to SAGs

Octavia Spencer Wore 3 Sets of Spanx to SAGs!

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

When The Help's Octavia Spencer took home the SAG Award for Outstanding Actress in a Supporting Role, she couldn't let loose at the after parties as much as she intended -- thanks to her triple-strength undergarments.

Finding getting ready for the awards show "very stressful," the 39-year-old breakout star told Ellen DeGeneres in a Tuesday interview that she wore three pairs of Spanx shapewear under her Tadashi Shoji gown.

"I was not a Girl Scout but I try to be very prepared. I triple Spanx," she told DeGeneres, adding that she does so for every awards show. "It's wonderful because it gives you the illusion of an hourglass [figure] with the sand kind of spread out."

At the awards show, Spencer found herself commiserating about her discomfort with none other than Bridesmaids pal Melissa McCarthy.

"I could not party that night because I was being pinched in places that I didn't know it was possible. I ran into Melissa [and] said, 'Oh my God, Melissa, I'm about to die. My Spanx are killing me.' She said, 'I just went to the bathroom and took mine off!'"

Spencer will have plenty of time to plan her undergarments for the Oscars February 26, where she'll vie for a Best Supporting Actress trophy.

Octavia Spencer Wore 3 Sets of Spanx to SAGs! - UsMagazine.com

damn, girl.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I wonder if Spanx was necessary for either of them, because Spencer and McCarthy had on dresses with a lot of ruching and gathering in the middle. It's not like either of them had on a something body skimming.

Wouldn't that be horribly hot? Sound beyong painful for a long night.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

... and a hassle if you have to pee
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

Wouldn't 3 layers of Spanx just add girth?

I'd do it too. Hell, look at all of the snark we all produce on one fashion board! Imagine knowing there are hundreds of message boards/blogs etc that will critique you're every imperfection.

i don't see it as a big deal. She acknowledges that she has weight issues.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Damn that must be uncomfortable and hot. I like her honesty. I would think 1 pair of Spanx, maybe 2 if you really need it, would be great but 3 would just be a smothering nightmare and wouldn't it just make you look bigger?
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

i think this fits in here:

Octavia Spencer: The Media Promotes Only ‘A Certain Kind of Pretty’

February 2, 2012 in Beauty & Body Image, Celebrity Quotes by Versus

41 year-old actress Octavia Spencer just posted on Facebook a long message that gathered her thoughts on beauty and body image in the celebrity world, on how the media promotes only ‘a certain kind of pretty’ and on how she feels confident, pretty and healthy at her weight. Let’s see her thoughts:
    After being honored by my Guild on Sunday, I was whisked to the Press Room where one of the first questions I was asked (by Ted Casablanca) was ‘what I felt about underweight women’. (i’m paraphrasing here) I’m thinking….this is relevant because… Then I started thinking, would these questions ever be asked of my male counterparts? Better yet, underweight actors or actresses? Nah, I don’t think so!
    Anyway, I answer: “Women would be alot happier if they ate…However, it is society that has told them and continues to tell them that you are less valued if you are of a certain age, or weight…something has to change. ” I began that by addressing my own weight issue..”Granted I’m not at the healthiest weight because when you are heavier around the middle…” blah blah blah. YOu get it. The next thing I read, Octavia Spencer is WORRIED ABOUT HER WEIGHT…. OCTAVIA SPENCER FEELS SHE IS LESS VALUED BECAUSE OF HER WEIGHT…
    Of course I was miffed that not only was I being misrepresented, but it was sending THE WRONG MESSAGE to kids out there.
    So, I decided to tell you IN MY OWN DAMNED WORDS the truth! First of all, Ladies and Gents here’s what i am NOT DOING….I am NOT WORRYING ABOUT MY WEIGHT! I AM NOT TRYING TO CONFORM TO an unrealistic model of beauty.
    Read more on the next page!

I AM however being proactive in being the healthiest I can be. And before you ask, NO, awards season is not the reason. I’ve been doing this for the past 10 years because it took that long to gain the weight! Right now, believe it or not, I’m pretty damn healthy! 20 LBS (max) is all I intend to lose.
    Now hopefully having cleared up the constantly tweeted, and blogged about “I am less valuable because of my weight” MISQUOTES attributed to me, I want to touch on the real issue here. The weight obsessed media is destroying not only us but our children! Our culture is at the precipice of redifining who we are. Right now in this salacious age of the internet coupled with the “beauty and fashion” industries respectively ONLY promoting a “certain” kind of pretty, we’ve seen a dramatic increase in bullying, eating disorders and body dysmorphia among MALE and female teens. This is no joking matter.
    Here’s what I will leave you with: Be happy in your own skin. If you are unhealthy start by making small changes to become healthier. You are unique, beautiful, and worthy. Last but certainly not least, don’t buy into any of it. AND I MEAN LITERALLY! I don’t buy magazines that don’t feature women who represent my physicality or varying ethicities on their cover because they are saying, YOU DON’T MATTER TO ME…YOU ARE NOT MY DEMOGRAPHIC. To that I say, good, that’s $35 a week I can save!
    God bless!
    … says Octavia.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I think Octavia is very pretty! I love her face, it's a great face, and her body is slamming. The thing that's great about Octavia and Melissa McCarthy is that their bodies suit them— they look good. It's not so much a matter of media when they're out and about and I applaud them for that.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Gold Member

She is only 41? You could have fooled me.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
    She is only 41? You could have fooled me.
    so is she 41 or 39? the first article says she is 39!! either way she looks much older.

She looks uncomfortable.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    I think Octavia is very pretty! I love her face, it's a great face, and her body is slamming.
    her face bugs me. it's kind of amphibious like calista flockhart's.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thread Information