Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus Is A Role Model

Default Miley Cyrus Is A Role Model

I have to say that in the past I have made fun of Miley and questioned her bahavior. Now I am more forgiving and realize she was just a kid having to grow up in front of us. It looks like she is making a nice transition into adulthood. Maybe she will find some better movie roles too.

Why Miley Cyrus Is A Better Role Model Than You Might Think – MTV - San Francisco Luxury Living | San Francisco Luxury Living

Why Miley Cyrus Is A Better Role Model Than You Might Think – MTV
    Publication Date 18 December 2011
    Tweet

Hey y’all, it’s me, Sam Lansky, and this is my column, Pop Think, where I try to keep you guys from finding out about my secret alter ego who is actually an international pop star with an adorably consonant name. (Fun fact: In my will, I’ve requested that the epitaph on my tombstone read, “He was just being Miley.”)

But really, I do love Miley Cyrus, not only because Can’t Be Tamed was an unheralded pop masterpiece (seriously, if you haven’t listened to “Permanent December” recently, your life is probably 50% less joyful than it should be), but because Miley has one of the most honest relationships with the media of any pop star. While many artists are busy working double-time to save face, Miley has a track record of being brazenly and unabashedly vocal about what she believes in, which I think is pretty rad and kinda inspirational.

The truth is that Miley really can’t be tamed, and even when her choices are unpopular, the sultry chanteuse sticks to her guns. Courage of conviction is hard to come by, which is why I think Miley is a much better role model than we tend to give her credit for.

In early 2011, an AOL poll voted Miley Cyrus the worst celebrity role model for young girls, well above Lindsay Lohan and Teen Mom’s Amber Portwood. Timing no doubt played a role in this, since the poll arrived a month after Miley’s notorious salvia-smoking video gripped headlines, but it’s a clarion reminder of how fickle the public can be, especially when it comes to their teen idols.

I don’t want to dwell too much on her past missteps, although, it’s no secret that Miley’s image as a Disney Channel pop princess was as squeaky-clean as they come — which, it should be noted, is a nearly impossible standard to maintain. But like clockwork, as she moved through adolescence, she was hit with one scandal after another: revealing photos of the underage chanteuse taken by A-list shutterbug Annie Leibowitz for a Vanity Fair shoot, a provocative pole-dancing performance of “Party in the U.S.A.” at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards, that explosive bong video, and most recently, footage from her 19th birthday party, where Miley owns up to smoking “way too much f—— weed.” (Her rep later said that Miley was just being a “smart-ass” and the weed comment was an “inside joke.” Go figure.)

But Miley has a long track record of taking responsibility for her choices, even if they’ve been lamentable. She’s issued public apologies for her photo scandals, and managed the bong scandal as gracefully as someone in her position can — she parodied the situation on a “Saturday Night Live” skit, since the show had already developed an ongoing bit parodying Miley’s goofy personality and banter with her father. She’s also been candid about her position as a role model, telling Harper’s Bazaar last year that “My job isn’t to tell your kids how to act or how not to act because I’m still figuring that out for myself… Your kids are going to make mistakes whether I do or not. That’s just life.” Wise words, considering she’s still a teenager.

What’s really key, though, is how Miley has taken a stand on the issues that she’s passionate about; and it’s in a strong-minded, opinionated way, not in the gently democratic mode that most PR-prepped stars utilize. Despite her largely conservative fan base, she’s been a vocal advocate for gay rights and marriage equality, even going so far as to get a tattoo of an equal sign on her finger, indicating her support of the cause. When she tweeted a picture of the fresh ink, with the attached message “All LOVE is equal,” it caused an uproar among her more traditional fan base. Miley remained undeterred by the backlash: She just posed for the NOH8 campaign to show her continued support for the movement.

She’s tackled the subject of body image, too, demonstrating a willingness to get personal on the issue, rather than keeping it in the abstract. When someone on Twitter called her fat, she posted a picture of a skeletal woman with the message: “By calling girls like me fat, this is what you’re doing to other people. I love myself & if you could say the same you wouldn’t be sitting on your computer trying to hurt others.” Then she posted a picture of Marilyn Monroe, looking curvy in a white dress, including the enclosed text: “PROOF that you can be adored by thousands of men, even when your thighs touch.” This is a common meme, but it commands additional attention coming from someone with four million followers. A lot of celebs use Twitter as a platform to publicly shame their detractors, but Miley used it as an opportunity to initiate a dialogue about the impossible standards of thinness promoted in the entertainment industry — and it worked, with Demi Lovato and Kelly Osbourne joining the tweetversation.

Of course, Miley is not a saint, and she’s stated publicly that she has no interest in being a role model. But like it or not, she is, and the embarrassing scandals that have plagued her public image don’t have to be the only thing we notice. It goes without saying that precious few people have sailed through the turbulent waters of teenagerdom without their share of mistakes, only Miley’s done it with a million paparazzi waiting to document her every gaffe. Rather than bashing her for occasionally doing the same foolish, thoughtless things that millions of other teenagers have done, let’s celebrate the fact that she fights for her beliefs, even when her opinions aren’t popular — which sets a positive example for young people who mistakenly believe that social indifference is fashionable.

Miley said it best herself, though, in the new video for her song “Liberty Walk,” which was intercut with footage from Occupy movements around the country. She dedicated the video to “the thousands of people who are standing up for what they believe in.” Does this make her the most salient new voice in the political sphere? Maybe not, but it’s still a valuable call to action in the politically apathetic realm of mainstream pop music, and one that I’ll happily take to heart.

Miley, you can officiate my gay wedding any day. Keep fighting the good fight, sister.

Sam Lansky is a writer and editor from New York City. He goes hard for Swedish pop music, “Real Housewives” GIFs and juice. Follow him on Twitter or Tumblr.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

suck it, h8rz!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^ i know right.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Don't forget her charitable work!

Miley Cyrus Teams With Sean Penn for Charity

ET Online – Wed, Dec 14, 2011 3:05 PM PST

Philanthropy has been a part of Miley Cyrus' life since she was a little girl and for her latest charitable endeavor, the singer has teamed with Sean Penn's Help Haiti Home initiative, as you can see in the ETonline exclusive photo above.

In addition to the photo, Cyrus stars in a new PSA alongside Zooey Deschanel (second pic), Sean Penn, Edward Norton, Sarah Silverman, Rainn Wilson, LL Cool J, and Eric Dane as they lend their voice to encourage donations and draw awareness to the struggles that the Haitian people still face.

The Help Haiti Home initiative was launched to raise funds that will help the 23,000 displaced Haitians currently living in the J/P HRO managed Petionville Camp tent city return to the neighborhoods they lived in before the earthquake. To pledge your donation, click here!

source:Miley Cyrus Teams With Sean Penn for Charity - Yahoo! omg!

Miley Cyrus, otherwise known as Hannah Montana, seems to have wasted no time in her rise to fame, riches and charitable causes. Her youthful enthusiasm for contributing to the well-being of others has found a variety of outlets.
    Cyrus supports the Libby Ross Foundation, and recently decorated a yoga bag for an auction to raise funds for the charity’s yoga program. The foundation promotes early detection of breast cancer, as well as research to eradicate the disease and support programs for victims.
    A little off the beaten path, she is also involved with Musicians on Call, a charity that brings live and recorded music to the besides of patients to promote the healing process. She agreed to perform at a concert benefitting this organization, joining Jordin Sparks and Gavin DeGraw. And, for every Hannah Montana concert ticket sold, Cyrus reportedly donates $1 to the City of Hope, a biomedical research, treatment and educational institution dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer.
    On September 14, 2008, Cyrus joined the Jonas Brothers in a special concert for City of Hope in Los Angeles: “We are honored and grateful for the generosity of Disney, Creative Artists Agency and the dedication of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in supporting the lifesaving work of City of Hope,” said Michael A. Friedman, M.D., president and chief executive officer, City of Hope. “This Concert for Hope demonstrates their commitment to improving the lives of patients with cancer and to helping create a future in which cancer is not only treatable, but curable and preventable.”
    In a Time interview in 2008, she encouraged her peers to “start young” when it comes to service. “If you pick up a guitar when you’re 8 you’re really good at it by the time you’re 20. It’s the same with giving back. My family has been visiting Kentucky coal-mine towns since I was little. We take clothes, gifts, and school supplies. It’s an eye opener for me, seeing families here in America living in Third World conditions. And it makes me want to make a difference. The truth is, it’s never too early to get involved. Someday today’s kids will be running for President. Now is our prep time. We need to get some practice in before we save the world.”
    Miley has also been helping young people online, with her work for Get Ur Good On. Get Ur Good On is an online network for young people to support each other in their missions to do “good” in their communities. Miley has been helping out by uploading videos and pictures of her wide range of charity work, including Red Cross, City of Hope, Blessings in a Backpack and the Starkey Hearing Foundation.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Please, she and Sean Penn teamed up to smoke pot, or errr saliva. But I am encouraged that she's kept kind of a low profile for the last year or so.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

she is a great role model, if i want my kids to be famehungry slags that talk like annoying hamsters on drugs and smoke pot all the time ill totally tell them that she is their rolemodel
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

I don't see a problem with that.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Me either. She's just a normal teenager finding her way. Unlike others, like Selena, she stays true to her friends and tries to give back. That sets a great example for young girls.

she's a better role model than most. so, again... suck it!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Me either. She's just a normal teenager finding her way. Unlike others, like Selena, she stays true to her friends and tries to give back. That sets a great example for young girls.
    how did selena not stay true to her friends or give back?

Selena is a talentless whore who must have been given to old man producers by her Mom in order for her to get a Disney show. Demi needed her and selena was too busy spreading her beaver for the beib.

Seems to me that Selena has chucked her friends for publicity. Why else would she be hanging around with Hilary Swank?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Selena is a talentless whore who must have been given to old man producers by her Mom in order for her to get a Disney show. Demi needed her and selena was too busy spreading her beaver for the beib.
    ur a talentless whore. prove that selena is having sex with bieber

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Seems to me that Selena has chucked her friends for publicity. Why else would she be hanging around with Hilary Swank?
    so fucking what? she's still friends with demi and taylor swift. demi hangs out with jeffree star

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    ur a talentless whore. prove that selena is having sex with bieber
    name calling isn't allowed, you fucking moron!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information