Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene Simmons disses Madonna; Superbowl gig

DAP

Default Gene Simmons disses Madonna; Superbowl gig

Kiss member Gene Simmons and War founder Howard E. Scott unleashed verbal assaults this week on other acts.

Gene Simmons

Simmons, the bassist and vocalist for the legendary band, said Madonna is not appropriate to perform at Super Bowl XLVI. When asked for his opinion on the matter, Simmons had a sarcastic response. "I love all karaoke singers," he told TMZ. "I like all the girl singers who get up and sing with tapes. Shame on you."
    Simmons, whose band performed at the Super Bowl in 1999, said artists who lip-sync misrepresent themselves to their audience. He suggested that entertainers who sing over vocal tracks inform their audience beforehand.

Madonna, GettyImages, Stephen Lovekin

"I don't care what your music is, have some integrity, be real, or full disclosure before the fact," he said. "Hold up a sign that says, '70 percent of what you hear is fake. It's a tape. I'm a karaoke singer.'"
    Madonna has not responded publicly to Simmons' insults.
    December 5

Hit By Ban Bus!

he's right

I have to admit that I liked Gene Simmons a lot when I saw him on Celebrity Apprentice.

Now I really like him!

I don't think he was the only one who gasped over this. I can't understand it at ALL.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Kiss sometimes lip synchs, and they've used pre-recorded tracks for years. He's a dick. Let's not have a lesson in musical integrity from Simmons, who has always cared more about marketing than music. It's something him and Madge have in common.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gene annoys me sometimes, but Madonna annoys me all the time So much so, that I can no longer listen to her older music. Tis a shame. Same with U2's Joshua Tree album. Bono and The Edge of Douchness ruined it for me too.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Kiss sometimes lip synchs, and they've used pre-recorded tracks for years. He's a dick. Let's not have a lesson in musical integrity from Simmons, who has always cared more about marketing than music. It's something him and Madge have in common.
    kiss lip syncs? didn't know that. well fuck him now

They really really should have gotten someone else.

I hope it goes wrong for madonna. It will be funny

Yeah, not happy about halftime with Madge. Maybe they'll have a "surprise musical guest" to hump her onstage and she'll fall off and bust a nut.
    Drive-by poster

He's right... even if I think he's a hypocrite.

In 2002, Shania Twain did the Grey Cup halftime in my city. I was one of the halftime dancers and we worked our asses off, put in long days practicing. We'd be out in the freezing cold, listening to the same 2 stupid Shania Twain songs over and over.

About a week before the Grey Cup, our organizers were called and told that the stage wasn't good enough for Shania and that she was having Paul McCartney's Super Bowl stage brought up here.
    The stage was bigger so it caused problems with the positioning of all the different dancers and groups. We had to quickly learn different formations and timing, change our positioning on the field.

Day of the game, she refused to meet the dance 'leaders' (there were maybe 9 of them) that had to go onto the field early in the day to just ensure they knew where to lead each group.

The big halftime show comes up... and the bag lip syncs. Wasn't even well done lip syncing and there was zero performance value.

It was really disappointing that we were volunteers, working really hard to put on a good show... and here she was, getting paid a LOT of money and she couldn't even sing two songs live.

I have never once heard that KISS lip synchs. Never. I've seen them seven times live and I am positive none of it was recorded. That's kind of always been one of their "prides"...their live performances.
    Look, sweetheart, I can drink you under any goddamn table you want, so don't worry about me.-"Martha", Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by dallison View Post
    He's right... even if I think he's a hypocrite.

In 2002, Shania Twain did the Grey Cup halftime in my city. I was one of the halftime dancers and we worked our asses off, put in long days practicing. We'd be out in the freezing cold, listening to the same 2 stupid Shania Twain songs over and over.

About a week before the Grey Cup, our organizers were called and told that the stage wasn't good enough for Shania and that she was having Paul McCartney's Super Bowl stage brought up here.
    The stage was bigger so it caused problems with the positioning of all the different dancers and groups. We had to quickly learn different formations and timing, change our positioning on the field.

Day of the game, she refused to meet the dance 'leaders' (there were maybe 9 of them) that had to go onto the field early in the day to just ensure they knew where to lead each group.

The big halftime show comes up... and the bag lip syncs. Wasn't even well done lip syncing and there was zero performance value.

It was really disappointing that we were volunteers, working really hard to put on a good show... and here she was, getting paid a LOT of money and she couldn't even sing two songs live.
    damm i used to like her. hope u got well paid for that

Kiss don't use backing tapes live. Never have, never will.

It's one thing to perform 'live' on a show like say, Top of the Pops, lip syncing, but it's another to sell $100 tickets to a show, then get up there and sing along to a backing track, which is what Gene's referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Well, they say when you point your finger at someone else, three of your fingers are pointing back at you. I'm referring to Gene.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information