Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's Son is a genius

Default Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's Son is a genius

He is impressive!

..Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's Son Becomes Rhodes Scholar
    Ronan Farrow, who graduated college at 15, currently works at the State Department.

The Hollywood Reporter – 12 hours ago

Ronan Farrow, the biological son of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, is one of 32 Rhodes Scholars representing the United States, as announced by the Rhodes Trust over the weekend.

Farrow, 23, graduated from Yale Law School and works as a State Department special adviser on global youth issues.

Farrow, a former child prodigy, graduated with double majors in philosophy and biology from Bard College in 2004. He was the college’s youngest graduate at age 15.

He graduated from Yale Law School in 2009, where he edited the Yale Journal of International Affairs. He is currently Special Advisor to the Secretary of State for Global Youth Issues, and before that was Special Advisor for Humanitarian and NGO Affairs. Farrow has also worked on several charitable causes, serving as a UNICEF spokesperson from in 2001 through 2009.

Ronan Farrow was at the center of a high-profile custody battle when his parents divorced after it was revealed that Allen was in a relationship with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, Soon-Yi. Ronan and his father had a very public falling out, and were not on speaking terms.

Since 1902, Rhodes Scholarships have been provide all-expense paid trips for two to three years of study at the University of Oxford in England. At Oxford, Farrow plans to do a Doctor of Philosophy in international development.

You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

damn! i think it would be scary and lonesome to be that smart.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I agree. He graduated Bard at 15 so how old was he when he started college? It must be so hard for parents of genius kids to balance making sure they are challenged academically with keeping a normal social life for their age.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

wow, good for him. he's carving a life out for himself.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    damn! i think it would be scary and lonesome to be that smart.
    Agreed. I think most of the people around me are idiots....imagine what he thinks!!

Wasn't he was once named Satchel?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

You know, there was a girl in my law school class who was a genius-she graduated high school at 14, went to law school in her 20's and she is now a war-crimes prosecutor overseas. She was obviously very intelligent but she was also sweet and very well-liked. I think it just depends on the person. And there are so many highly intelligent people in careers that geniuses flock to (law, medicine, engineering) that they may not feel lonely. I currently work in an office where we have several people with genius-level IQs and it's almost normal. None of them seem lonely, but I guess that's be ause they are surrounded by people just like them.

Both of my parents have genius-level IQs, and my sister's two children also have high IQs. Growing up with geniuses is an interesting experience to say the least... I am not a genius but I do wonder what it would be like to be one.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Nikki - there are many people who test at genius level but few who graduate college at 15. I believe that is where the question of lonliness come into play. If you are 111-12 and attending college you may be well liked but you will not be invited to frat parties and have that part of the college experience. That can be isolating unless you go home and have a group of friends your age, where you do feel connected.

Being considered a genius is an odd thing anyway. The average IQ in the US is 100. Anything over 115/120 is considered gifted. Over 140/150 can be considered genius. I tested over 140. That did not make life easier if I wasn't interested in the subject. My daughter tested over 140 but still had a learning issue (audio processing issue) that makes math a great challenge for her unless it is taught in her learning style. It is a very limited group that tests high and performs high.

i had a genius friend in high school. he was a violin virtuoso, a maths and science genius, was studying latin and greek at the same time (on top of the regular language classes we had in school) and he was an incredibly talented artist. he chose not to skip grades and graduate with people his age, precisely because of the loneliness thing. he's already kind of shy and quiet to begin with, until you get to know him, so skipping grades would have isolated him for sure. after high school, universities and top music and art schools were fighting over him. what did he do? the last thing anyone expected of him - chose to follow his calling and studied comics (yes, comics) and illustration at a very prestigious school in belgium. he's published a few graphic novels and has won some very prestigious awards.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sput that makes me happy. Too many child prodigies are pushed by their parents to move ahead. I am happy his parents allowed him to make his own decisions.

^^^^
    yeah, me too. he's such a cool guy and is genuinely passionate about what he does. and his parents were very cool and laid back about the whole thing, never placed any undue pressure on him and never treated him any differently than his siblings. i think that unlike the parents of a lot of other talented children, his never felt the need to live vicariously through his achievements.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Wasn't he was once named Satchel?
    Yes. The 2 kids of Woody&Mia changed their names after the split. The adopted daughter used to be named Dylan, I think.

Too bad. Satchel is such a cool name. The boy was also called Seamus for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Nikki - there are many people who test at genius level but few who graduate college at 15. I believe that is where the question of lonliness come into play. If you are 111-12 and attending college you may be well liked but you will not be invited to frat parties and have that part of the college experience. That can be isolating unless you go home and have a group of friends your age, where you do feel connected.
    He was raised in a tribe of kids. That might have helped. Also, I don't think that Mia played favorites or acted like he was more deserving of love than his handicapped siblings just because he's a genius. Some of his siblings had special needs education; he got special needs at Bard.

Mia is creepy as hell and has the worst taste in men. But she is a great mother by all accounts.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

When I was in 3rd grade my teacher suggested to my mother that I join the Gifted & Talented program, she declined because she wanted me to be normal(average). Go figure.

I think it's pretty awesome what this kid is doing. Hats off to him! I wonder if he and Woody are in contact now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Elite Member

^^ From an article I read, none of the biological and adopted kids from Mia and Woody's union, except, um, Soon Yi, are in touch with Woody.

Ronan has publicly expressed why he thought his father's relationship with Soon Yi (hope I spelled that right) was wrong. I wonder if any of the kids will re-establish their relationship with Woody?

ETA: I too know people who have skipped 1 to 2 grades and are pretty normal, but that is a long way from graduating college at 15. Ronan seems like a good kid, and I agree that being raised in a brood of kids with different backgrounds and needs, etc. probably worked in his favor.

Damn impressive! Good for him!

I also knew a girl who was considered a 'genius' as well. She did NOT want to sit in a lab, or at a desk for a living, and only went to college at all because her parents begged her to. Immediately after she graduated college (top of the class), she asked her parents if they were happy. She then started driving a school bus. She loved it.

Unfortunately, she died at age 36 of cancer, but dammit, she did what she wanted to and was so much happier driving a bus than doing something she hated. RIP Amy!

Kudos to Amy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information