Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt Address Carter Vanderbilt Cooper's Suicide

fgg

Default Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt Address Carter Vanderbilt Cooper's Suicide

Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt Address Carter Vanderbilt Cooper's Suicide

It's been more than two decades since Anderson Cooper's brother Carter Vanderbilt Cooper flung himself from the 14th-floor terrace of his family's NYC penthouse apartment.

In a rare interview, Anderson, 44, sat down with his mom, Gloria Vanderbilt, and recalls that tragic day in 1988 when Carter, then 23, took his own life.

"When he went … I thought he was going to come back, but he didn't," Vanderbilt, 87, remembers in the one-on-one conversation that airs Monday on Anderson's syndicated talk show. "He let go, and there was a moment when I thought I was going to jump over after him."

But the former fashion designer says Anderson, who was 21 at the time, gave her a reason to continue living.

"I thought of you and it stopped me from [jumping]," Vanderbilt tells her son, whose eyes brim with tears.

Although it is rare to hear Anderson or his mom speak publicly about their family tragedy, Vanderbilt wrote a book in 1997 called A Mother's Story, in which she discusses the medicine allergy she believes caused her son to make the spontaneous decision to kill himself.

"The fatal loss stripped me bare," Vanderbilt says in the book of losing Carter, a seemingly confident Princeton graduate.

Although Vanderbilt tells Anderson, "You never get over it, but you learn to live with it," the talk show host and CNN correspondent uses the heartbreaking experience as just one more reason to see his mom as an inspiration.

"You have survived so many things," Anderson says. "This custody battle when you were 10 years old, the loss of your father when you were an infant, the loss of Carter, of my dad, your husband and so many others."

"It hasn't made you tough," he continues. "It hasn't hardened you. You're still open to experience and open to new loss and open to new heartbreak and to new love."

Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt on Carter Vanderbilt Cooper's Suicide : People.com

i can't imagine jumping and not changing my mind as soon as i let go.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Wow, she looks DAMN good for 87!

Oh how sad, I didn't know about this. It breaks my heart to see the Silver Fox cry!

She's had the best plastic surgery that money can buy, that is for sure!! She looks like molded plastic!

I like Anderson. You can tell the interview was very emotional all these years later, for both Mother and son.

czb

^^^ really? she looks unrecognizable. kind of like carla bruni's younger sister.

How sad for the whole family.

I vaguely knew Anderson had a dead brother, but I never knew the details. Sad.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I knew about this and knew that they did not really discuss it much, so I was surprised to read that they talked about it on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ really? she looks unrecognizable. kind of like carla bruni's younger sister.
    Not saying it looks flawless,...just saying I am sure she got the best money could buy. And even though you can tell she has had a ton of work done,...she does look pretty good for almost 90. Wonder what she will look like in her late 90's, or at 100?

I love how Boo tells his mother how wonderful she is in his eyes.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Not saying it looks flawless,...just saying I am sure she got the best money could buy. And even though you can tell she has had a ton of work done,...she does look pretty good for almost 90. Wonder what she will look like in her late 90's, or at 100?
    my post was really meant for deChayz but we all posted at the same time.

i think she looks weird/scary. she always had a distinct look but now she just looks odd.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    my post was really meant for deChayz but we all posted at the same time.

i think she looks weird/scary. she always had a distinct look but now she just looks odd.

Yes, I think she looks like a puppet now. Bad PS.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I still think she looks damn good, considering the broad's almost 90 years old. And anyone that has given the world such a wondrous gift as Anderson is above all reproach.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Is she the poor little rich girl?

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I still think she looks damn good, considering the broad's almost 90 years old. And anyone that has given the world such a wondrous gift as Anderson is above all reproach.

I think she looks really good too! If I didn't know how old she really is, I would have guessed her to be in mid 60s

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information