Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L'Oréal's Julia Roberts ad campaigns banned due to excessive airbrushing

Default Airbrushed make-up ads banned for 'misleading'

The adverts - for L'Oreal's Lancome and Maybelline brands - cannot be shown in their old format

Cosmetic adverts featuring airbrushed images of actress Julia Roberts and model Christy Turlington have been banned by the advertising watchdog.
    Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson complained that the L'Oreal adverts were "not representative of the results the products could achieve".
    The Advertising Standards Authority agreed that the images were exaggerated and breached its code of conduct.
    L'Oreal admitted retouching but denied that the two adverts were misleading.
    Eating disorders
    Ms Swinson said that while some retouching may be acceptable, the adverts were "particularly bad examples of misleading advertising" and could contribute to body image problems.
    "We should have some honesty in advertising and that's exactly what the ASA is there to do. I'm delighted they've upheld these complaints," she said.

"There's a big picture here which is half of young women between 16 and 21 say they would consider cosmetic surgery and we've seen eating disorders more than double in the last 15 years.
    "There's a problem out there with body image and confidence. The way excessive retouching has become pervasive in our society is contributing to that problem."
    Guy Parker, chief executive of the Advertising Standards Authority, told the BBC that airbrushing was a "question of degree" and that advertisements could only be banned if they were misleading, harmful or offensive.
    "If advertisers go too far in using airbrushing and other post-production techniques to alter the appearance of models and it's likely to mislead people, then that's wrong and we'll stop the ads," he said.

If advertisers go too far in using airbrushing and other post-production techniques to alter the appearance of models and it's likely to mislead people, then that's wrong and we'll stop the ads”
    Guy Parker Advertising Standards Authority chief executive

The L'Oreal images were banned, said Mr Parker, because the company was unable to show exactly how much retouching had been done to the advert - a requirement for cosmetics adverts.
    "Advertisers must be able to provide appropriate material to us to demonstrate what retouching they've done in the event we question them, and they mustn't mislead," said Mr Parker.
    "In this event L'Oreal didn't provide us with that evidence so we were left with no choice but to uphold the complaint."
    The French cosmetics firm admitted the image of Ms Turlington - promoting an "anti-ageing" foundation - had been altered to "lighten the skin, clean up make-up, reduce dark shadows and shading around the eyes, smooth the lips and darken the eyebrows".
    However, it argued it still accurately reflected the results the product could achieve.
    The advert featuring Julia Roberts - also for foundation - was down to her "naturally healthy and glowing skin", said the cosmetics firm, who added that the product had taken 10 years to develop.
    It added that consumer tests had been positive, showing it helped make the skin "more radiant and luminous".
    The ASA last year rejected a complaint over a L'Oreal hair advert featuring Cheryl Cole, ruling the product's benefits in that case had not been exaggerated.

BBC News - Airbrushed make-up ads banned for 'misleading'

I like that idea.

Default L'Oréal's Julia Roberts ad campaigns banned due to excessive airbrushing

L'Oréal's Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington ad campaigns banned

Advertising watchdog upholds complaints by Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson that images overly airbrushed

L'Oréal has been forced to pull ad campaigns featuring Pretty Woman star Julia Roberts and supermodel Christy Turlington, after the advertising watchdog upheld complaints by Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson that the images were overly airbrushed.

Swinson, who has waged a long-running campaign against "overly perfected and unrealistic images" of women in adverts, lodged complaints with the Advertising Standards Authority about the magazine campaigns for L'Oréal-owned brands Lancôme and Maybelline. The ASA ruled that both ads breached the advertising standards code for exaggeration and being misleading and banned them from future publication.

L'Oréal's two-page ad featuring Roberts, who is the face of Lancôme, promoted a foundation called Teint Miracle, which it claims creates a "natural light" that emanates from beautiful skin. It was shot by renowned fashion photographer Mario Testino. The ad for Maybelline featured Turlington promoting a foundation called The Eraser, which is claimed to be an "anti-ageing" product. In the ad, parts of Turlington's face are shown covered by the foundation while other parts are not, in order to show the effects of the product.

Swinson complained that images of both celebrities had been digitally manipulated and were "not representative of the results the product could achieve".

L'Oréal UK admitted that Turlington's image had been "digitally retouched to lighten the skin, clean up makeup, reduce dark shadows and shading around the eyes, smooth the lips and darken the eyebrows". However, it claimed there were still signs of ageing, such as crow's feet, and that the image "accurately illustrated" the achieveable results.

The company, which provided the ASA with pictures of both women "on the red carpet" to show that they were naturally beautiful, admitted that digital post-production techniques had been used on Roberts but maintained that the changes were not "directly relevant" and that the ad was an "aspirational picture".

Swinson said it was "shocking" that the ASA was not allowed to see the pre-production pictures of Roberts due to contractual agreements with the actor. "It shows just how ridiculous things have become when there is such fear over an unairbrushed photo that even the advertising regulator isn't permitted to see it," she added.

In the case of both the Roberts and Turlington ads the ASA said it was not provided with enough information to evaluate what impact the digital enhancements had on the final image.

"On the basis of the evidence we had received we could not conclude that the ad image accurately illustrated what effect the product could achieve, and that the image had not been exaggerated by digital post-production techniques," the ASA said.

"Pictures of flawless skin and super-slim bodies are all around, but they don't reflect reality," said Swinson. "Excessive airbrushing and digital manipulation techniques have become the norm, but both Christy Turlington and Julia Roberts are naturally beautiful women who don't need retouching to look great. This ban sends a powerful message to advertisers – let's get back to reality."

L'Oréal's Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington ad campaigns banned | Media | The Guardian

Good!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Good thing Julia didn't show her teef in the ad....

Anyone got the pic of Turlington?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

The ads for mascara are the worst. They are so misleading. Sure, the model may be wearing the mascara...on her false eyelashes.

Can I say that the Christy ad is gross - I certainly wouldn't buy a product that "erased" my flaws in strips off my face, at least that's what it looks like.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

It's about time those unrealistic images were banned.

its cause you UGLY!!! hey, hey! You UGLAY!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm all for it, good call Britain.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

was about time. Perfection doesn't exist
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Javier, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

That pic (the real one) of Juila makes me like her a little bit more. Kind of nice that she isn't stretched, pulled, and botox'd all to hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information