Thread: Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane of Dr. Who) Dies :(

Default Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane of Dr. Who) Dies :(

BBC News - Doctor Who actress Elisabeth Sladen dies aged 63

Doctor Who star Elisabeth Sladen, who was also in spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures, has died aged 63.

Sladen appeared as Doctor Who assistant Sarah Jane Smith in the BBC television sci-fi series between 1973 and 1976, opposite Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

The Liverpool-born actress appeared in four series from 2007 of The Sarah Jane Adventures on children's channel CBBC.

Sladen had been battling cancer for some time and leaves actor husband Brian Miller and daughter Sadie.

A BBC spokesman said: "It is with much sadness that we can announce Elisabeth Sladen, the much-loved actress best known for her role as Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who and CBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures, passed away this morning."

Sladen first appeared as Sarah Jane alongside the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, and stayed for three-and-a-half seasons, also working with the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker.

Her character, a journalist, was renowned for being inquisitive and stronger than some of the Doctor's other assistants.

After her time in the Tardis, Sladen returned to her native Liverpool where she worked in theatre.

She returned to the role on several occasions over the years and was given her own spin-off series on CBBC in 2007, in which she appeared with the most recent two Doctors, David Tennant and Matt Smith.

In 2006, ahead of rejoining Doctor Who, Sladen said of the programme: "I think it has lovely layers and I'd defend the programme to anyone.

"I'm very emotionally part of that programme and I think a lot of the people who worked on it are. You used to love going to work every day."

CBBC controller Damian Kavanagh said he was "deeply saddened and shocked by the news of Lis's untimely death".

"Lis brought joy, excitement and a sense of wonder to her many fans in her role as Sarah Jane Smith. She was adored by our young audience and I know all of them will miss her as much as I will," he said.

Russell T Davies, the creator of The Sarah Jane Adventures, said: "I absolutely loved Lis. She was funny and cheeky and clever and just simply wonderful. The universe was lucky to have Sarah Jane Smith, the world was lucky to have Lis."

Keith Jones, the director of BBC Wales, which makes The Sarah Jane Adventures, said: "The Sarah Jane Adventures has been one of the most successful children's programmes on television in recent years - and without Elisabeth Sladen it would not have happened.

"A brilliant presence on screen and on set, she brought the excitement and energy of the Doctor Who family of programmes, of which we are very proud at BBC Wales, to a whole new generation. She will be missed by all at BBC Wales who worked with her."

Sladen's agent Roger Carey described her as a "dear friend".

He said: "She was so positive about life and her natural energy was intoxicating. She couldn't believe her luck when her career was resurrected in her own series."

Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat said she had been a "ferociously talented actress".
    She was only 63. She has always reminded me of my mom.
    Last edited by Tati; April 19th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

God, so many people have cancer and don't survive it.

Fuck off Cancer !

Holy crap, I LOVED her. Sarah Jane was probably my second favorite Classic Who companion, and I adored The Sarah Jane Adventures.

I'm actually crying, and I don't remember the last celeb death that made me cry. Since I'm being a total fantard, I'll even try to link a tribute to her character that I liked:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUnwzR9zIE[/YOUTUBE]

RIP Liz Sladen. You will definitely be missed.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

That really sucks.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I had no idea she was sick... This is really sad.

Every time I've run across someone online who says they met her or worked with her, they had nothing but good things to say. She was apparently a really lovely person and a pleasure to know.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Just heard about this on twitter She will def be sadly missed.

Apparently only a small circle of friends and family knew she had cancer - no one else knew. RIP Lis

Loved her Had no idea she was sick.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I used to have a cat named after her... R.I.P. to them both.

i saw this on ontd! she was one of my favourite companions. =(

Goodbye my Sarah Jane

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhbfSayEGw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I hadn't even seen Sarah Jane as a companion and School Reunion broke my heart, esp. in the scene where she suddenly sees the Tardis. Elizabeth Sladen was such a classy lady. RIP

WHAT? Nooooooooooooooooooo. RIP Lis, such a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Every time I've run across someone online who says they met her or worked with her, they had nothing but good things to say. She was apparently a really lovely person and a pleasure to know.
    I've always heard that as well. I had the privilege of meeting her once at a Doctor Who fan event, many years ago, and she was so kind and fun to talk to. She noticed what many others did back in the day--how much we resembled each other. I used to get mistaken for her at science fiction cons. Always kinda made my day, that did.

Sarah Jane was by FAR my favorite companion. Such intelligence and humor. And Lis Sladen was one of my favorite actresses, ever. I am really, really stunned and sad. 63 is way too young. Unbelievable. I hate cancer SO SO SO much.

RIP Lis. I hope she's having a laugh somewhere with Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton...
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information