Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Redford: Hypocrite

Default Robert Redford: Hypocrite

Hollywood A-listers love to trumpet their green credentials. Guy Adams reports on a film-maker who’s out to expose them.

For years, they’ve preached green living while traveling the world in SUVs, limousines and private jets. But now Hollywood’s foremost tree-huggers face the prospect of being exposed as eco-hypocrites – in the very medium that finances their extravagant carbon footprints in the first place.

Robert Redford became the latest movie star to have his environmental credentials publicly ridiculed on film this week, when a hostile documentary was released in which he stood accused of failing to practise the environmentalism that he so vehemently preaches.

The short film, Robert Redford: Hypocrite, was released on Friday, via YouTube, to coincide with the closing days of his Sundance Film Festival. Depending on your point of view, it represented either a cheap hatchet-job or a stunning evisceration of a pioneering green activist who was once lauded on Time Magazine’s list of environmental “superheroes”.

According to the film, Redford recently sold a dozen plots of land near to the Sundance ski resort in Utah, which he owns, to developers seeking to build luxury homes there. The revelation is especially contentious because each of the sites sits on an undeveloped ridge, in what was previously wilderness. Ironically, Redford recently stuck his head above the parapet to lobby against a similar project in California's Napa Valley, where he keeps a home. Mind you, the film points out, the nimby-ish actor did not stand to profit from the Napa development. The plots of land near Sundance, by contrast, fetched him around $2m each.

"It's the hypocrisy that gets me," said the film's Irish director, Phelim McAleer. "He's taking a lovely virgin ridge and building McMansions on it. Granted, they're nice, lefty, eco-McMansions. But they're McMansions all the same. At the same time, he's trying to stop other people from building houses in a nice spot." The film also points out that Redford, 74, has often called for the world to reduce its carbon footprint, while simultaneously accepting the shilling of United Airlines, for which he performed voiceovers in aTV advert proclaiming that "it's time to fly".

Yet the Sundance Kid won't be the last Hollywood liberal to face the howitzers of McAleer, who became a known figure among climate change deniers in 2009, when he released the controversial feature-length documentary Not Evil Just Wrong, which disputed global warming science.

In a previous short film finished two months ago, McAleer, ridiculed the environmental credentials of James Cameron. The Avatar director preaches "living with less", it noted, while owning a helicopter, a fleet of submarines, three Harley Davidsons, four sports cars and a private yacht.

Aerial footage of Cameron's Malibu estate in the film revealed several large houses, at least three heated swimming pools, a fire engine, but not one solar panel or wind turbine.

McAleer now has a "hit list" of other celebrities he regards as hypocritical. He intends to make and release a new film laying into one of them every two to three months. He also plans take aim at some US politicians.

"As a film-maker, this is the gift that keeps on giving," he says. "We have a hit list, and as well as the usual Hollywood suspects it has people like John McCain on it – a man who has backed climate-change legislation, while being unable to remember how many homes he owns."

Unlike many independent film-makers, who can find themselves in dire financial straits, McAleer says his short pictures are self-financing. On YouTube, they drive traffic to his website, where fans purchase DVDs of Not Evil Just Wrong. The Cameron film clocked up 175,000 "views".

"There seems to be something about the environmental movement that attracts hypocritical people," he added. "Most are rich, and while they don't want to give up what's made their life happy, they're happy to tell other people not to, say, drive an SUV. Making films that knock them is basically like shooting fish in a barrel."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...m_medium=email
    Last edited by JerriBlank; March 5th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

I agree one hundred percent with the last paragraph, see it out here all the time

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I agree one hundred percent with the last paragraph, see it out here all the time

Yes, yes, yes. Here we had an environmental movement to build a Greenway, conveniently located in "wasted" lands close to high income areas, so the wealthy could have a bike riding course.

Thousands of old trees cut down. The erosion into the local creeks has gotten worse turning them into red mud mercury drains that kill fish.

Now we are in another drought and the "green"way looks like shit.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

lefty
    Buildings cannot possibly have a political affiliation. Saying something this stupid throws the accuracy of the rest of his rant into serious doubt. Plus the guy is known as a huge right wing anti-environmentalist so you'd have to treat anything he says as incredibly biased at the very least.

"There seems to be something about the environmental movement that attracts hypocritical people," he added. "Most are rich, and while they don't want to give up what's made their life happy, they're happy to tell other people not to, say, drive an SUV. Making films that knock them is basically like shooting fish in a barrel."
    Most are not rich. Idiot sets up a stereotype so that he can attack it.
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh yes what a hypocrite, he's practically Satan! come on

I'm too sexy for this thread.

When Phlegm McAleer has a 50 year career, a scandal free life, does good things for the creative arts, brings attention to the environment, then he can open his big, stupid mouth. Good way to get yourself on the showbiz map, just dis a legend.

Fug. Die.

yeah fuck off and die asshat! ^ agreed chalet

i just read a great article where Redford was interviewed in AARP magazine and he opened up a lot in it, it was nice b/c he's so private usually

Just to wipe out the very thought of this thread, I'm going to find that article. Thank ya!

Robert Redford has too many mole thingies on his face, he was never good looking either LOL

An Interview with Robert Redford, Movies for Grownups - AARP The Magazine

here, i cant believe he's 75! i had a crush on him when he was 62 lol

[YOUTUBE]YaUQQMv80Oo[/YOUTUBE]

Don't judge Bob, at least not until some kind of racist misogynist rant by him surfaces on youtube.

Not interested.

.. so are the claims actually correct or not?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Who knows but given the way the Tea Party salivates over the guy probably not very. This is a guy whose pro mining "documentary" was financed by the Canadian Mining Company. Makes me wonder who financed this one.

Meh. And in other news, Robert Redford isn't perfect. So? He's still probably done more for the environment than most.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information