Thread: Susan Sarandon: 'The World Would Be Different If Any Woman Were in Charge'

Default Susan Sarandon: 'The World Would Be Different If Any Woman Were in Charge'

The 64-year-old actress talked to Parade.com about her role as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and how she hopes to inspire her children through her work.

How her role as a Goodwill Ambassador has changed her for the better.
    "It's been really eye-opening. The reason that they send celebrities into these places is so that you can come back and speak in the first person about what you've seen. Besides that obvious reason, it's just such an education for me to really get to be in people's homes or huts and to talk to people and be able to ask questions and understand something on a personal level as opposed to just reading about it. I'm very, very grateful for the opportunities that I've had."

Bringing her son, Jack, along for the ride.
    "I'm hoping that my eldest son will join me. He has expressed an interest in taking a trip with me and possibly filming. He's studying film and he graduates this year. One of the things that's always been the hardest is how lonely you are when you're there and you're so emotionally involved, so to be able to have one of my kids with me, I think would be great for me and probably very educational for him."

The lessons she hopes to pass on to her children.
    "I hope they're present in their lives and feel some kind of empathy. I think a lot of the mistakes that have been made in the world have been through a lack of empathy. If you can identify with someone else and empathize with someone else, then activism is a short step away."

She's far from a stage mom when it comes to daughter Eva's budding film career.
    "I would never push my kids into anything. I think they have to really find it for themselves in order for it to count. They're all very aware, but you know, you go through college and you're trying to figure yourself out, so I haven't really pushed them towards anything. They've each found their own things."

What a world run by Susan Sarandon would look like.
    "The world would be different if any woman were in charge. I think women are just naturally interested in certain things that maybe men aren't. Although, I've been seriously disappointed by a lot of women in office, so it's not a guarantee. That's why it's not a guarantee that women should just vote for any woman that runs. It depends on the individual. But I do think that naturally, women tend to focus on certain things. When you have female producers, very often they're very effective in getting things done, as opposed to power struggles, for instance. Maybe it's because women have had to make-do for such a long time. I think that maybe it's possible for a woman to be less ego-involved in solving problems than some men. But if our sons aren't doing what we'd hoped they'd do, if they're not paying attention to the things we'd want them to pay attention to, if they're still solving problems with violence, I think that women have to take some responsibility for the way we've raised them."

Susan Sarandon 'The World Would Be Different If Any Woman Were in Charge' | Parade.com

It always bugs me when women say things like that. Women can be as bad as men when it comes to power. If the world was run by women, it could be different, but that doesn't mean better.

Makes me really dislike her.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Two words - Margaret Thatcher.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Two words - Margaret Thatcher.
    Two more - Sarah Palin.

Where did she ever say it would be better? The quote I see is:

"The world would be different if any woman were in charge."

The thread title even shows she said different not better. I agree with what she says. If we want people to stop trying to solve problems through violence we need to start teaching them better as kids.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

pretentious, brown nosing bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

The thread title even shows she said different not better. I agree with what she says. If we want people to stop trying to solve problems through violence we need to start teaching them better as kids.
    this.

reading comprehension fail.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Angela Merkel is a heartless, cruel bitch. Women's rights are currently in the gutter in my country, specifically regarding wages and reproductive medicine.

Different my ass.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Well we can be cunty so I don't know if it would be better but I would hope women would finally be equals but somehow I don't think we would be because of the cuntness factor.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

"When you have female producers, very often they're very effective in getting things done, as opposed to power struggles, for instance."
    "I think that maybe it's possible for a woman to be less ego-involved in solving problems than some men"

It's implied, especially since I'm 99% sure she doesn't think the world would be worse if women were in charge. She uses neutral language like "I think" and "it's possible", but you can pretty much guess the point she's trying to make.

Thread Information