Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Sorbo is a sexist, homophobic loser still jealous of Lucy Lawless

Thumbs down Kevin Sorbo is a sexist, homophobic loser still jealous of Lucy Lawless

Did Kevin Sorbo Just Out Lucy Lawless? - BlackBook

How does it feel to be the illegitimate son of Zeus?

“You know what, we’re all bastards – we’re guys.”

You mentioned the Xena spin-off. “Yeah, the lesbian spin-off.” Did you get along with the Warrior Princess? “She was okay, but you know…” Wait, she’s gay? “I don’t know. She’d never admit one way or another, trust me. She didn’t wanna lose that crowd. She did end up marrying the executive producer, which I think is how she got the role. They had another actress slated for the part.”

Really? Who was the other actress?

“Vanessa Angel, she was on that series
    Weird Science. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that show. She played the platinum blonde in that movie Kingpin.”

Leave it to good guy Sorbo to stick up for an angel and let rip on the lawless. I tell ya, if the real Hercules had been as charming as the man who played him on TV, his wife Deianeira would’ve never poisoned him, whether he was being unfaithful or not. Of course, her moves did pave the way for Zeus to make his son immortal, but hey, Sorbo’s immortal too, and he didn’t have to die to get that way.

ewww jealous much?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I know that there is/was a huge gay Xena following and a lot of Xena/Gabrielle shippers out there so I'd presume or hope that he was talking about the character and not the actress. And Vanessa Angel apparently lost the part because she was ill and couldn't travel to New Zealand to film what was, at that time, a guest spot. But whatever, he comes across as a bitchy prick in those comments.

ETA: She did end up marrying the executive producer, which I think is how she got the role.

I just looked at his wiki - he met his wife, Sam Jenkins, when she had a role on Hercules. Pot, kettle?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I know that there is/was a huge gay Xena following and a lot of Xena/Gabrielle shippers out there so I'd presume or hope that he was talking about the character and not the actress. And Vanessa Angel apparently lost the part because she was ill and couldn't travel to New Zealand to film what was, at that time, a guest spot. But whatever, he comes across as a bitchy prick in those comments.

ETA: She did end up marrying the executive producer, which I think is how she got the role.

I just looked at his wiki - he met his wife, Sam Jenkins, when she had a role on Hercules. Pot, kettle?
    And he got her a role on Andromeda.

The Vanessa Angel original casting is not news. Like you said, she had gotten sick and Lucy (who had been on the show twice already) was available to play another character, so they just dyed her hair a darker color to distinguish herself. The Xena trilogy was originally supposed to end with her dying, but she was popular and gained a spin off. The rest is history.

This isn't the first time he's thrown shade about the cast [Sam Raimi and co] and Lucy Lawless. He seem to be upset that a spin-off show starting a woman was more successful than his, so he has to attribute it to her sleeping with the boss or something. Its not her fault she's a good/better actor than you Mr. Sorbo...

Ahaha, how candid and bitchy, I love it. I love Lucy Lawless, she can do no wrong in my eyes.

I remember Vanessa Angel as Anise on Stargate SG1. Great boobs, I mean acting.
    Last edited by yanna; November 10th, 2010 at 07:20 AM.

I used to love that Weird Science show.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Ahaha, how candid and bitchy, I love it. I love Lucy Lawless, she can do no wrong in my eyes.

I remember Vanessa Angel as Anise on Stargate SG1. Great boobs, I mean acting.
    Yeah, Vanessa has/had a smokin' hot bod. But I just can't picture her as Xena. Lucy Lawless was amazing...

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

god what an ass

Where the hell did this come from? Just seems so outta the blue and random. Which is fine, but he really needs to get the hell over it already.

He's always been a twat- I heard that his ego destroyed the original direction for Andromeda which drove the exec producer away in the first season because he couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Where the hell did this come from? Just seems so outta the blue and random. Which is fine, but he really needs to get the hell over it already.
    His 2007 interview

http://www.filmstew.com/showArticle....ontentID=15501

Kevin Sorbo is not one to hold a grudge. Still, he admits he’s a little bitter about the fact that he has received not one single work call from executive producer Sam Raimi since the end of their very successful TV series collaboration Hercules. Especially since right around the end of Xena: Princess Warrior, the companion series also produced by Raimi, star Lucy Lawless was given a small part in Spider-Man. “I think Lucy got a small part in it because she’s married to Sam Raimi’s partner, Rob Tapert,” Sorbo tells FilmStew. “She started having an affair with him down in New Zealand. She left her husband and he left his wife of 15 years. So that’s how that whole thing got together.”

“I busted my a$$ on Hercules and during Season Five, I almost died doing it,” he continues. “I had an aneurism that exploded in my body that almost killed me. I think I’m a good enough actor that he can put me in a secondary part in one of his feature films. It would be nice if he did that.”

“I think he’s holding a grudge over me. He wanted me to do a movie back in ’96 when I decided to do Kull the Conqueror. He wanted me to do his movie and quite frankly, the movie was horrible. If the movie was so great, let me ask you this, how come he never made it with somebody else?”
    The last time Sorbo actually saw Raimi was on the set of the 1999 drama For the Love of the Game, because Sorbo is friends with that film’s star, Kevin Costner. But even then, things were not quite right.

“I was having lunch in Kevin’s camper,” Sorbo recalls. “Sam showed up and of course acted all nice and sweet to me. I think he held something back on me and it’s just weird. It is very infantile from a guy who’s as powerful as he is and as wealthy as he is to. Throw me a bone. Why not let me do something? I’d love to play a bad man in one of the Spider-Man things.”

“I think I’d be great at it, but what are you going to do?” he ponders. “It is what it is and it’s unfortunate, but people harbor a lot of resentment and whatever in this business. Jealousy and envy and everything else.” The aforementioned Tapert offered Sorbo a part in the first of Raimi’s Grudge remakes, but that too moved quickly from a matter of schedule arranging to what Sorbo sees as another slap in the face. “I said, ‘Let’s work out a schedule and see if I can come over and do it,’” Sorbo remembers. “Then I find out that they want me to come in and audition for it. It wasn’t that big a part, so I thought, ‘I’m not interested.’

“Again, I shed blood, sweat, and tears for Hercules,” says Sorbo. “I gave him a successful spin-off in Xena and Young Hercules, and he says, ‘You’ve got to come in and read for a part that’s really like the seventh lead.’ I decided that’s just basically saying F-you.”

“I think he was mad because I didn’t do three more years of Hercules. I was completely burnt out. They got seven years out of me, so let me move on to something else. Still to this day I’m grateful for the series. I have friends that I’ve held over from that show forever and I have nothing but great memories of working in New Zealand.”

On the day of his interview with FilmStew, Sorbo was also heading off to a pair of readings for NBC TV pilots. The actor has been offered a series on the CW, but because it shoots in yet another distant corner of the Southern Hemisphere (South Africa), he’s for the moment hedging his bets. “I loved New Zealand, but I’m married now,” he explains. “I’ve got three small kids and to go all the way to South Africa to shoot a series is like, ‘Ugh!’ We’ll see. I’m not opposed to television. I wanted to do more theatrical movies and see what that world brings me right now. I love to the work, so I’m never going to say no to anything that looks good to me.”

Part of the reason Walking Tall 2: The Payback and Walking Tall 3 looked good to Sorbo is because they offered him the opportunity to star in something contemporary. But there was also a light bulb that went off in the businessman part of Sorbo’s brain.

“The other part was to develop a relationship with Sony as well,” Sorbo reveals. “I looked at it as a positive thing in terms of the business of Hollywood. I’m also a fan of the original movie with Joe Don Baker, so I got to reprise that role and obviously contemporize it with a different name since I really don’t look like a Buford.”

“We had a screening at Sony for the sequel and we had a great response,” he adds. “I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t know what to expect considering the budget they gave us and the time element that they restrained us with. I thought it turned out pretty good.” Sorbo’s sequel does indeed hew closer to the original Joe Don Baker installment rather than the more recent remake starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. And that, confirms Sorbo, was the intention. “I had talked to Sony before they got The Rock to possibly do that feature film,” he recalls. “The script that I read was closer to this one than [what] The Rock did. Once The Rock signed on, I’m sure they just went into a higher action one for the sake of action.”

“There was a rumor that Walking Tall 2 was going to get released theatrically,” Sorbo continues. “We knew that probably wouldn’t happen with the low budget they put on it, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t have. I always knew it was going to be a straight to DVD release, but I just thought going back more to the original roots and with a little more character development, a little more heart and soul to it, would make it a lot more interesting to do. I carry a stick and a couple times I got to carry a sawed off shotgun as well.”

Sony shot Walking Tall 3 at the same time as 2, and Sorbo says he has heard rumors that they might want to turn the franchise into a TV series. As it stands, Walking Tall 2 is the first time the Mound, Minnesota native has been part of an R-rated flick. “Kull the Conqueror was supposed to be a really dark X-rated film almost with the violence and sex,” Sorbo interjects. “But they rewrote the film so drastically, to my disappointment, and made it a PG because they didn’t want to alienate the Hercules audience at the time. But I was like, ‘Who cares? They’ll come.’”

With Sony leading a charge on straight-to-DVD name brand films, Sorbo is all for the revitalization of this age-old trend. Even though, in the case of the Walking Tall movies, it meant budgets of $2 million and miniscule, 17-day shoots. “I thought they should have had four to five million and a month, but we didn’t come close to that,” Sorbo bemoans. “My hat is off our director, Tripp Reed, who just busted his butt. We joined him on some of our days off just to shoot some second unit things. For what they gave us, I think he did an amazing job.”

“They didn’t pay me anything, trust me,” he continues. “I made more money on one episode of Hercules than I made on both of these movies back to back. For me it was really something contemporary and fun to do. Considering everything that’s going on in the world right now, I think all of us wish we could just walk down the streets of Baghdad and make every bad guy in the world out there just disappear. That’s what this guy does.” Sorbo says he is open to the idea of a Walking Tall 4, as long as there is a decent script and director Reed is brought back to guide it. In other words, he’s looking for a slightly higher level of commitment on what he saw on one of his most recent TV gigs. “I went in to do two episodes of The O.C. and I ended up doing seven,” Sorbo says. “The first day I was there, Peter Gallagher said to me, ‘By the way, we’re going to get cancelled. We’re done.’ But Peter said, ‘Just don’t say anything.’”

“But you could tell they were done from the lack of care on the set by everybody,” he adds. “It just seemed like everyone was going through the motions. But I still had a good time.” And for all those would-be action stars out there, what advice does Sorbo have for them about Hollywood?

“I tell them to run for the hills,” he insists. “I tell them don’t get involved in this business. It’s insane. Once Hercules hit the airwaves, I had everything from a seventh cousin to people who just knew someone in my family asking for advice on being an actor.”

Silver Member

Not that it matters, but didn't Lawless marry Tapert long after the spin-off had started?

Anyway, Xena is a WAY better show than Hercules.

i wonder what sorbo would score on dr. drew's narcissism test.

Quote Originally Posted by immature View Post
    Not that it matters, but didn't Lawless marry Tapert long after the spin-off had started?

Anyway, Xena is a WAY better show than Hercules.

marry, yes; boink, no

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

He doesn't improve on reading the full interview. It seems like he has a gripe against everyone.

Certain members of my family watched Hercules and Xena every week without fail and when I mentioned this article to them they just shrugged and said they preferred Michael Hurst's character Iolaus to Hercules and that the reason why Hercules and Iolaus usually walked everywhere instead of riding was so Sorbo wasn't outacted by a horse every episode
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information